The Queen of the South thread

7 minutes ago, Steeplechat said:

You sure Jim Patterson scored 251 goals for Queens ...?

I'm sure thats what the club official stats currently say. I am also aware there are some doubts surrounding the exact number which may or may not be cleared up in Iain McCartney's upcoming book. It likely wont be the only stat amended. 

I have begun a project to look at some of this myself but its on hold at the moment so for the time being I go with what the official line is.

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Er, never apparently. Bit of a brainstorm there. :1eye

Had it in my head the offside rule was a sixties thing when in fact its always been there in some guise or other. Post humbly edited.

In the early days of the game, the offside law was actually much more stringent.  You needed three players behind the attacker.  Some Newcastle defender started exploiting it by playing to catch people offside, prompting a relaxation.  

Patterson's later era would have been more free scoring than is the case today, but offside would if anything, have been interpreted more harshly.  He also got lots of goals for us in the (admittedly large)  top flight, which instantly elevates his achievement.  

None of this alters how remarkable Dobbie has been for us though.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

We are now starting to find out our squad is not big enough .

Against Thistle we could only really bring one sub on as the bench was full of young players .

We can't change the team either so players can play poor and still play  every week .

Take Marshall for a example he had a very poor game against Thistle but will still play next week as we don't have anyone else  

Players need to be pushed to play well 

2 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Against Thistle we could only really bring one sub on as the bench was full of young players .

We can't change the team either so players can play poor and still play  every week .

Take Marshall for a example he had a very poor game against Thistle but will still play next week as we don't have anyone else  

We are?

18 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Charlie Exley is perfectly capable of playing left back if required. You are in cuckoo land if you expecting a first team standard reserve for every position. Only Ross County can afford that.

The bench is now about as strong as it can realistically be with Fordyce hopefully available next week. 

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Charlie Exley is perfectly capable of playing left back if required. You are in cuckoo land if you expecting a first team standard reserve for every position. Only Ross County can afford that.

The bench is now about as strong as it can realistically be with Fordyce hopefully available next week. 

Having watched Charlie Exley play for the reserves he is the one player that has impressed me and is one of the few reserves that could step up to the first team if needed. 

Is Norman Jr not going to play then?
Are we paying anything to have him here?
Would you have been happy with him starting today considering how well we've played recently? I'm not sure bringing on a defensive midfielder would have changed much either today imo.

24 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

He isn't going to walk straight into a team that has been playing so well, He will need a few weeks to settle into the faster scottish game, he has played a few first team mins and played in the reserve Cup game last week too.

37 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
41 minutes ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

Would you have been happy with him starting today considering how well we've played recently? I'm not sure bringing on a defensive midfielder would have changed much either today imo.

15 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

He isn't going to walk straight into a team that has been playing so well, He will need a few weeks to settle into the faster scottish game, he has played a few first team mins and played in the reserve Cup game last week too.

No I wouldn't have expected him to start today.

I was not aware he is a defensive midfielder, I thought he was more attacking having watched his highlights, given the fact he led his US division in assists and chances created last season, and given his one game was as a sub for Harkins (though obvs that could have been tactical).

Frizzel was the only sub this week (same as last week) despite it being true that (a) we were chasing the game and (b) Jacobs was apparently struggling. Either (a) or (b) would justify Norman Jr getting a run out, depending on his position. 

I think it's a fair question why he's not playing when Frizzel is. There's maybe a straightforward answer but it's a fair Q.

We've seen very little of him but when he did come on he looked to be playing a more defensive role. He said in an interview he likes to get forward when he can which again I took to mean he was being told to sit back. Frizzell we know is attack minded so I think he's likely to feature a bit more. Given how poor we were centrally today it wouldn't have been a shock to see him feature but you take a risk in a game like that if he can't get up to the speed of the game quickly. Against Crusaders I think he looked very off the pace.

On the discussion of CM. That's two weeks in a row I've found myself extremely frustrated with Jacobs. Two or three times today he got into great attacking positions and similarly he did it last week once or twice. But when he gets there he has absolutely no clue what to do. You have to believe if it was our attacking minded midfielder something could come from these opportunities. If you don't know what to do up there get fecking back Jacobs [emoji38]