The Queen of the South thread

That's literally two games in a row Martin has been in no man's land and given the attacker all the goal to aim at. Don't go if you don't think you'll get there. Fordyce's attempt at marking was abysmal as well. The second is just horrible. That's why you're told not to pass the ball back between the sticks.

Two very preventable goals. I'm not sure if there is some comfort in that or if it's more infuriating.

Martin needs to learn to be more assertive and aggressive.  I don't know if in his head he thinks he's 10 stone and petite, but the reality is he's a big bloke and he should use this to his advantage.  If he actually attempts to come for that cross the United forward will chicken out of going for it to avoid being clattered by Martin.  An impact that would be akin to being hit by a small car.

4 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Martin needs to learn to be more assertive and aggressive.  I don't know if in his head he thinks he's 10 stone and petite, but the reality is he's a big bloke and he should use this to his advantage.  If he actually attempts to come for that cross the United forward will chicken out of going for it to avoid being clattered by Martin.  An impact that would be akin to being hit by a small car.

Its like hes never quite recovered mentally from the injuries he had last season. There certainly didnt seem to be any problem with him coming for crosses early on and Dumbarton fans didnt mention it.

He clearly holds his hand up after the first goal but the second is all down to Doyle. Awful back pass aside, hes several yards further up the pitch than he should be when the ball is played across. If he was in line with the rest of the back four he has a pretty straight forward clearance up the pitch.

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

That's literally two games in a row Martin has been in no man's land and given the attacker all the goal to aim at. Don't go if you don't think you'll get there. Fordyce's attempt at marking was abysmal as well. The second is just horrible. That's why you're told not to pass the ball back between the sticks.

Two very preventable goals. I'm not sure if there is some comfort in that or if it's more infuriating.

Just infuriating I'd say because it's so bloody frequent.  

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think that's fair. Wouldn't say Martin is the main culprit for either goal but he was out of position in both cases and maybe needs to do more shouting to organise defence.. Very good cross for the first but really poor defending to misjudge it so badly and let the attacker have a free header. Doyle FFS for the second. Wasn't even a half chance really.

7 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

I think that's fair. Wouldn't say Martin is the main culprit for either goal but he was out of position in both cases and maybe needs to do more shouting to organise defence.. Very good cross for the first but really poor defending to misjudge it so badly and let the attacker have a free header. Doyle FFS for the second. Wasn't even a half chance really.

Martin is at fault for both.  He's in no mans land for the first and he's got to be instructing Doyle for the second as well as being in the right position.

For me the biggest attributes that a good goalie brings to a team and the defence in particular is confidence, anticipation, presence coupled with speed and agility. The back 4 seldom look as though they know what Martin is going to do next.While there is little or no defence for Doyle’s error personally I applaud McMullan for chasing the lost cause and pressurising our defender into the mistake. We don’t do that to teams - GN wants our front players to constantly retreat into a defensive shell which enables the opposition back 4 to stroll effortlessly into our half and pick their forward passes. Doyle certainly had no time to pick any forward pass on Saturday - McMullan’s industry was a huge contributory factor and it highlights the difference that this positive energy makes to a team.

It is only a personal opinion but I don’t get Semple’s exclusion. If you were dropping players based on performance levels - Martin,Mercer and Jacobs would be the ones under closer scrutiny.

martin hasnt been great but neither was leighfield last season, he conceded too many goals when in goals.

norman was best on saturday and i would probably drop jacobs for harkins if fit, i would also move dykes right upfront instead of the middle because he caused ayr a lot of problems last game and when he is on his game with dobbie we look a real threat 

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

For me the biggest attributes that a good goalie brings to a team and the defence in particular is confidence, anticipation, presence coupled with speed and agility. The back 4 seldom look as though they know what Martin is going to do next.While there is little or no defence for Doyle’s error personally I applaud McMullan for chasing the lost cause and pressurising our defender into the mistake. We don’t do that to teams - GN wants our front players to constantly retreat into a defensive shell which enables the opposition back 4 to stroll effortlessly into our half and pick their forward passes. Doyle certainly had no time to pick any forward pass on Saturday - McMullan’s industry was a huge contributory factor and it highlights the difference that this positive energy makes to a team.

It is only a personal opinion but I don’t get Semple’s exclusion. If you were dropping players based on performance levels - Martin,Mercer and Jacobs would be the ones under closer scrutiny.

Semple has been missing due to the manager resting him after 18 or so straight games and after the fact he missed 13 months prior to that with a ruptured ACL.

that kind of management of a young player must be applauded....

That said, he must be well rested now and Chomping at the bit. Even at 19 he has been the most consistent defender we have had all season.

after the last two defensive performances  he must be put back in.

The maintenance and updating of the sign on Lochfield Road has this season, been a joy to behold.  Even when we've had a home game on a Saturday, followed by another on the Tuesday, the sign has been getting altered during the gap between the two.

However, it's my solemn duty tonight fellow Queens fans, to report that it's not been updated in a week and is still displaying last Tuesday's Morton match as the next home one.  I know you'll all share my disquiet.

The maintenance and updating of the sign on Lochfield Road has this season, been a joy to behold.  Even when we've had a home game on a Saturday, followed by another on the Tuesday, the sign has been getting altered during the gap between the two.
However, it's my solemn duty tonight fellow Queens fans, to report that it's not been updated in a week and is still displaying last Tuesday's Morton match as the next home one.  I know you'll all share my disquiet.

I’m more concerned about the price the club are changing for us to watch a Highland League team in the Scottish Cup 3rd round tie.
Our game is already overpriced without decisions like that. Very disappointing IMO

6 hours ago, Steeplechat said:

I’m more concerned about the price the club are changing for us to watch a Highland League team in the Scottish Cup 3rd round tie.
Our game is already overpriced without decisions like that. Very disappointing IMO

Prices have to be agreed by both teams I think. Given a price reduction makes little difference to the attendance maybe our opponents want to maximise return for their 9 hour round trip.

I have no knowledge of discussions but  I think price is not just a QOS decision.

Prices have to be agreed by both teams I think. Given a price reduction makes little difference to the attendance maybe our opponents want to maximise return for their 9 hour round trip.
I have no knowledge of discussions but  I think price is not just a QOS decision.

I think you’re correct here. Do the clubs still split the gate for a Scottish Cup game ?

Personally I would of liked kids to get in free and a slight reduction in adult & concessions entrance fee.
I suppose though we should feel lucky that Queens never increased ticket prices when teams like Hearts & Rangers were playing in the Championship.

So, we’re charging normal league prices for this fixture! Poor decision in my opinion.....£15 for an adult would have been reasonable.
I don’t usually miss many home cup games but I’m afraid I’m not stumping up £18 of my hard earned cash for this game.

So, we’re charging normal league prices for this fixture! Poor decision in my opinion.....£15 for an adult would have been reasonable.
I don’t usually miss many home cup games but I’m afraid I’m not stumping up £18 of my hard earned cash for this game.

What can you buy for £3 these days?