The Queen of the South thread

There will be a vote conducted soon by the SOS/Qos Trust to decide what players of yesteryear are deserving of entering a Qos Hall Of Fame. Any thoughts on any early front runners gentlemen ?

From my era, Allan Ball, Ian McChesney maybe, Andy Thomson, Jim Thomson maybe and Stephen Dobbie.

Houliston would be the stand out from earlier, although there will be many others from either side of the war who deserve inclusion ahead of more recent players.

I need to give this more thought.

I conducted a very unofficial all time team on the Mad site around a year ago . It was good reading all the different viewpoints but the main problem was that the different eras were not properly represented ie the team was mainly 70s onwards. I believe this was because a lot of older fans have simply died out and other elderly ones don`t (or not many ) go on football forums. These people would have voted stars from earlier decades - their own impressionable years .

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

That's whay I would maybe have three older ones as a given;

Alan Ball - most apperances

Jim Patterson - most goals

Billy Houliston - only player capped for Scotlanf while a Queen of the South player.

Certaintys you'd imagine, along with Jim Thomson you'd imagine

That's whay I would maybe have three older ones as a given;

Alan Ball - most apperances

Jim Patterson - most goals

Billy Houliston - only player capped for Scotland while a Queen of the South player.

I've no idea who is actually deciding these things or how it's intended to be done but I'd do what some other organisations have done when setting up a Hall of Fame. Start with a decent number of original inductees (say maybe 10) and then add 2 or 3 a year by vote.

Not sure who would have votes or how it would be shortlisted, but there would need to be some kind of control to prevent silly dominance by recent short term favourites. The NFL have a rule in inducting their Hall of Fame members each year that at least one has to be from a byegone era (can't recall at this point without checkign how exactly they define that).

Also, who is to be eligible for entry? Players only or are Managers, coaches, directors even eligible?

For what it's worth, as a stating point I'd say all three of those names Finlay has given are shoo-ins. I'd add Andy Thomson and Bobby Black for being the only other Queens players with over 100 goals. Thomson was also our record transfer fee.

Jim Thomson (decade at the club, still working there and captain for 2nd division title, Scottish Cup Final, Challenge Cup Final win) would have to be in the frame.

Jimmy McKinnell and Willie Harkness would have to be in consideration, though the latter's involvement latterly as a very unpopular chairman for many a year might not see him get many votes right enough.

You could start throwing a lot of names in the frame though. Hughie Gallacher, Iain McChesney, Ivor Broadis, Jimmy McGill, Wattie Rothera, Jackie Oakes, Stephen Dobbie, Jimmy Robertson, Tommy Bryce, Andy Aitken. Wouldn't be difficult to come up with reasons to stick lots of them in. Interesting problem to have.

I think you must have seen Jimmy Robertson second time around. He signed as a 24 year old in 1979 from Stranraer for £6k and left in 1987 only to come back in 1989 for another stint . Interesting to note that when I did my poll he won by an absolute landslide for the left midfield

I've no idea who is actually deciding these things or how it's intended to be done but I'd do what some other organisations have done when setting up a Hall of Fame. Start with a decent number of original inductees (say maybe 10) and then add 2 or 3 a year by vote.

Not sure who would have votes or how it would be shortlisted, but there would need to be some kind of control to prevent silly dominance by recent short term favourites. The NFL have a rule in inducting their Hall of Fame members each year that at least one has to be from a byegone era (can't recall at this point without checkign how exactly they define that).

Do the US sports not do it by only allowing players to be eligible for voting X years (say 5) after retirement. I'd be tempted to start with 5 and then do 2 a year or we'll quickly run out of nominees. Maybe make one of the voted in each year have to be retired for 20+ years and the other 5+ years.

Do the US sports not do it by only allowing players to be eligible for voting X years (say 5) after retirement. I'd be tempted to start with 5 and then do 2 a year or we'll quickly run out of nominees. Maybe make one of the voted in each year have to be retired for 20+ years and the other 5+ years.

Don't know about anything other than NFL. Certainly in the NFL players have to have been retired for five years to be eligible. Coaches and Administrators just need to have retired. There's no time bar for them (as they tend ot be much older to begin with obviously).

You're right though. It's difficult when you instigate such a thing to get the balance right. You have 90 years to look at and dozens of obvious candidates. Induct them all and you've either no-one left to induct next year, or you induct guys who played 20 games and scored twice for the sake of it.

As I said, it's important to get the decision right on how these are actually decided. Does anyone know if there's been any early thoughts about it. Ideally a committee of some sort should take nominations and draw up a short list of however many is thought appropriate. Then there should be some sort of vote (presumably easiest to do so online) of candidates to see who gets in. Presumably a general vote of all Queens fans who want to vote? :unsure:

I think you must have seen Jimmy Robertson second time around. He signed as a 24 year old in 1979 from Stranraer for £6k and left in 1987 only to come back in 1989 for another stint . Interesting to note that when I did my poll he won by an absolute landslide for the left midfield

Who, me? :unsure:

I saw Jimmy Robertson both spells, though only part of the first one. He was already part of the team when I started going.

Who, me? :unsure:

I saw Jimmy Robertson both spells, though only part of the first one. He was already part of the team when I started going.

I think he's referring to toms, the Morton fan.

No, he's definitely referring to a Queens fan seeing JR "second time around". He didn't have two spells with anyone else.

I know, but I think he thought toms was a Queens fan. That's my reading of it anyway.

I conducted a very unofficial all time team on the Mad site around a year ago . It was good reading all the different viewpoints but the main problem was that the different eras were not properly represented ie the team was mainly 70s onwards. I believe this was because a lot of older fans have simply died out and other elderly ones don`t (or not many ) go on football forums. These people would have voted stars from earlier decades - their own impressionable years .

I guess one way to get around that problem would be to open the Hall of Fame with one entry for each decade: six from the 50s to the 2000s, plus one pre-war? Some mechanism like the 5+ years and 25+ years retired would be a good way to recognise players from past decades from then on too. I could imagine any vote being quite substantially skewed towards players from the 2000s due to the ages of the fans likely to vote in these things.