Things You Learned Today

On 25/05/2024 at 18:01, eindhovendee said:

I learned that prize cunto Eamonn Holmes and his missus are getting divorced.

OFTW IMO.

Why the dislike for him? Thought he was a fairly universally liked man

Probably already been mentioned, but today I learned that the last American Civil War Widow died in 2020!

Apparently it was common for older veterans to marry younger women in the early 20th Century as the veterans could claim pensions for dependents.

Helen Viola Jackson was born in 1919 and married her 93 year old husband aged 17 in 1936, who died in 1939.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

Why the dislike for him? Thought he was a fairly universally liked man

If he was to have a redeeming feature in his life it would be because he had stabbed Piers Morgan to death.

That is unlikely to happen so we'll just have to carry on hating the absolute cùnt of a man

1 hour ago, eindhovendee said:

If he was to have a redeeming feature in his life it would be because he had stabbed Piers Morgan to death.

That is unlikely to happen so we'll just have to carry on hating the absolute cùnt of a man

I don't know why but he's always seem like a slightly more sinister Alan Partridge to me.

Seems like a right pompous piece of work. 

5 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

I don't know why but he's always seem like a slightly more sinister Alan Partridge to me.

Seems like a right pompous piece of work. 

Well there we have it. I never gave him much thought over the years but never thought he was viewed like this. Seems fairly dry humoured rather than pompous imo.

I just found out my SIM card is 5G

I had to buy a new mobile, and it was a "5G phone".

so I called up EE earlier and asked the boy how much it would cost to upgrade to a 5G SIM. He said "erm, it already is 5G"

.....................I hadnt noticed because I was in the house and set the new phone up on the WiFi

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

Coffee without milk is actually quite nice! I think the other times I've tried it, I have put the water in when it was too hot but I really can't be arsed going to the shop today so gave it another go

15 hours ago, Spyro said:

Coffee without milk is actually quite nice! I think the other times I've tried it, I have put the water in when it was too hot but I really can't be arsed going to the shop today so gave it another go

I have it on days I’m fasting - I wouldn’t have said it was nice or unpleasant tbh.

On 27/05/2024 at 20:54, Ray Patterson said:

Probably already been mentioned, but today I learned that the last American Civil War Widow died in 2020!

Apparently it was common for older veterans to marry younger women in the early 20th Century as the veterans could claim pensions for dependents.

Helen Viola Jackson was born in 1919 and married her 93 year old husband aged 17 in 1936, who died in 1939.

John Tyler was born in 1790 and was the tenth President of the USA.

His grandson is still alive today.

50 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

John Tyler was born in 1790 and was the tenth President of the USA.

His grandson is still alive today.

That really does blow my mind. Imagine having a grandfather that was born before the Battle of Trafalgar. Although given his grandfather died about 66 years before he was born it's not like you can really say you knew him.

Tyler and his son Lyon remarried much younger women and fathered children at advanced ages, such that Tyler's daughter Pearl did not die until the 157th year after her father's birth. As of January 2024, Tyler still has one living grandson (234 years after John Tyler's birth) through Lyon, making him the earliest former president with a living grandchild.