The Official Stephen Flynn & Mhairi Black Thread

Colkitto

50 minutes ago, RH33 said:

This is where I see a really juxtaposition, we want politicans who are seen as being in touch with normal people. However I want people who have the brains to understand the basics to run the country. Having the Eton set.in Westminster isn't ideal but when situations like the above hustings show, there is a need even a grasp if the basics.

I'm not sure having gone to Eton is a measure of someone's intelligence. After our last couple of PMs I'm beginning to wonder if having gone to Oxford or Cambridge is even a measure of intelligence. 

There are millions of ordinary people that have the brains to be an MP. I actually think part of the problem is there are way too many MPs who have gone straight from school to university to study PPE (or something similar) then gone to work for an MP as a 'special advisor', before standing for election themselves. Scores (possibly hundreds?) of MPs who have never had a proper job. 

Hence I said the Eton set isn't ideal. Think we're saying same thing though. There are people out there who could be MP's outwith Eaton set. But vetting needs to remove those like you described who don't have a clue about basics.

Career MP's are an issue as well. That ginger guy for lub Dems who's name I can't mind being a good example.

3 minutes ago, RH33 said:

Hence I said the Eton set isn't ideal. Think we're saying same thing though. There are people out there who could be MP's outwith Eaton set. But vetting needs to remove those like you described who don't have a clue about basics.

Career MP's are an issue as well. That ginger guy for lub Dems who's name I can't mind being a good example.

Do you mean the ginger Green buy?

On 07/10/2023 at 21:54, StellarHibee said:

It's not the SNP or political parties themselves who keep the books. It's the responsibility of the auditors. There's a reason why they were abruptly sacked following the discrepancy in the accounts.

A fine example of "man in pub said.." knowledge. Gave me a chuckle. 

7 hours ago, houston_bud said:

I'm not sure having gone to Eton is a measure of someone's intelligence. After our last couple of PMs I'm beginning to wonder if having gone to Oxford or Cambridge is even a measure of intelligence. 

There are millions of ordinary people that have the brains to be an MP. I actually think part of the problem is there are way too many MPs who have gone straight from school to university to study PPE (or something similar) then gone to work for an MP as a 'special advisor', before standing for election themselves. Scores (possibly hundreds?) of MPs who have never had a proper job. 

The problem is that the vast majority of the public regard MP's as individuals, nothing could be farther from the truth.

Fact is that from the very start of their political ambitions they have to and do toe the party line.

No standing for elections if they do not, first and foremost, spout party policy, failure to do so means no backing and removal..

So you can write to your MP and complain, but if that complaint falls outside party lines then no answer or some obscure get out waffle letter.

There is no difference from Westminster Politics to the single party Chinese Communist Government and it's Congresses.

The slight difference is subtle manipulation from one and tanks with the other.

22 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

The problem is that the vast majority of the public regard MP's as individuals, nothing could be farther from the truth.

Fact is that from the very start of their political ambitions they have to and do toe the party line.

No standing for elections if they do not, first and foremost, spout party policy, failure to do so means no backing and removal..

So you can write to your MP and complain, but if that complaint falls outside party lines then no answer or some obscure get out waffle letter.

There is no difference from Westminster Politics to the single party Chinese Communist Government and it's Congresses.

The slight difference is subtle manipulation from one and tanks with the other.

It used to be jokingly said that the difference between western democracy and Chinese dictatorship was in the west the government changed but policy stayed the same and in China government stayed the same but policy changes. Doesn't seem like a joke anymore. 

19 hours ago, thisal said:

It used to be jokingly said that the difference between western democracy and Chinese dictatorship was in the west the government changed but policy stayed the same and in China government stayed the same but policy changes. Doesn't seem like a joke anymore. 

It was ever thus.

As Monarchies power decreased and they wished to be free from the financial burden of governing and as governments came to the fore in their stead it has been impossible to distinguish one from the other in any state or country, civil services in whatever form run countries.

The system where a politician is promoted to a department, defense, transport etc etc, is farcical as that person can never know the intricacies of that department and so basically does what he is told by civil servants.

One distinct difference in the Western system, and it's a dangerous one, is that the only elected member of the American Cabinet is the President all other Secretaries of State are Presidential appointees, which means that an unelected major party contributor can be appointed as Secretary of Defense.

So if the system exists as above or by communist committees it all boils down to the same thing worldwide.

Edited by SandyCromarty

On 07/10/2023 at 21:54, StellarHibee said:

It's not the SNP or political parties themselves who keep the books. It's the responsibility of the auditors. There's a reason why they were abruptly sacked following the discrepancy in the accounts.

When I was treasurer of my then church, it was my responsibility to make sure the books balanced and all income was accounted for and outcome was correct.

A member of the congregation - an ex bank manager - audited the accounts, but wasn't responsible for them, that was me.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

When I was treasurer of my then church, it was my responsibility to make sure the books balanced and all income was accounted for and outcome was correct.

A member of the congregation - an ex bank manager - audited the accounts, but wasn't responsible for them, that was me.

So he approved your ‘fact finding’ trips to Las Vegas?

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

father-ted-resting-in-my-account.gif

15 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

100% correct.

I did my own books for years and then handed them over to my accountant who audited them and forwarded the accounts to the relevant bodies for taxation etc.

The responsibility for the accounts and any payments due fell to me.

For a company or a political party then the annual accounts would be prepared and collated by the company accountant, these would then be presented to the Directors for approval and signatures.

Nicola Sturgeon did not compile or prepare SNP financial accounts at any time during her tenure.

Operation Branchform began in 2021 and resulted in the arrest of Nicola Sturgeon, from then until now no charges have been laid against her or her husband and in fact Police have been reluctant to comment further on the matter other than saying it is ongoing?

But rest assured all you unionists that there is no doubt that the tory establishment and the anti Independence intelligence forces will bring it all back up to the media fore prior to the next Election.

The establishment have a track record in attempting to discredit strong political leaders who have policies opposite to theirs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...