The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2023

Week 27 update

Two deaths to note this week. I don't know if I mentioned it then deleted it by accident last week but American weatherman Frank Field has died. He was a Solo Shot for @Curmudgeon but the only UK mentions a week after his death are from Yahoo and.... Hello Magazine. I don't know either.

Our second death this week is accupuncturist Mutulu Shakur, who died a few days ago. He was a Solo Shot for @Priti priti priti Patel but the only mentions of him from UK sources in the past year are from Yahoo and, ahem, UNILAD, mentioning him being released from prison last December.

So, two deaths. No points. It's the risk you take going for the obscure punters.

59 minutes ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Luis Suarez, no not that one, the Spanish one who played for Barcelona and Inter Milan, capped 32 times for Spain has died aged 88

Scored against Scotland at Hampden in 1957

23 hours ago, JustOneCornetto said:

Luis Suarez, no not that one, the Spanish one who played for Barcelona and Inter Milan, capped 32 times for Spain has died aged 88

From the news feed thing on my laptop this morning......

Suarez.jpg

4 hours ago, Eednud said:

He wasn’t a stockbroker, Attila Abonyi, Hungarian born Australian international moves up a level at 76.

Ah, Attila the Stockbroker, good friend of the Meadowbank Thistle Brake Club.

5 hours ago, GordonD said:

Ah, Attila the Stockbroker, good friend of the Meadowbank Thistle Brake Club.

And nearly got pneumonia, at Billingham Synthonia.

Week 28 update

One death this week, the film critic Derek Malcolm: Derek Malcolm, longtime Guardian film critic, dies aged 91 | Film criticism | The Guardian

Derek, too, had a life rich in drama: after studying at Oxford, he spent two years as a National Hunt jockey. But despite 13 wins, he swapped careers, telling the Evening Standard: “But I thought, ‘Bugger this. This is too hard. I’ll be an actor instead.’”

After three years of repertory theatre, he had had enough. “Awful stuff,” he said, “Bored me shitless. I was always the juvenile lead, walking in through the french windows and saying, ‘Anyone for tennis?’”

“I was quite pretty in those days. Most of the other actors were gay. They all used to say, ‘Go on, you know you are too.’ That’s one reason I gave up. I thought, ‘Bugger this for a laugh.’”

A slight figure with a dry wit and pixie-ish grin, Malcolm’s charm and irreverence made him a popular figure in the swinging 60s; a close friend of Christine Keeler, and an acquaintance of the Krays.

His lively stories of the time, often featuring unpublishable details and compromising positions, later became the stuff of legend to his awed younger colleagues.

Some time ago (I think after one was posted on here, actually) I discovered the videos on youtube of Mark Kermode reviewing films. I'm not a big film watcher so obviously have even less interest in film criticism, but I found something enjoyable in those videos. I eventually realised I enjoyed listening to someone who was knowledgeable and passionate about a subject talking about it at length. Based entirely on the obituary I've just read I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed Malcolm's writings just as much.

Malcolm died at 91 so he's worth 34 Base Points for @amnarab, with a Solo Shot taking that to 84 points.

As a result, the standings look like this:

1. JustOneCornetto 405
2. psv_killie 318
3. The Naitch 240
4. gkneil 234
5. Arbroathlegend36-0 230
6. Arabdownunder 228
7. buddiepaul 226
8. qos_75 221
9. peasy23 220
10. Desp 206
11. Miguel Sanchez 199
12. LoonsYouthTeam 187
13. Billy Jean King 167
14. D.V.T., Mark Connolly, microdave, throbber, weirdcal 166
19. chomp my root 161
20. The DA 153
21. Ned Nederlander 151
22. sophia 148
23. Karpaty Lviv 145
24. Sweaty Morph 140
25. alta-pete 139
26. get_the_subbies_on 138
27. Bully Wee Villa, cdhafc1874, Frosty, HK Hibee 134
31. Ludo*1 133
32. lolls 122
33. Donathan 121
34. amnarab 115
35. Shotgun 112
36. Bert Raccoon, doulikefish, Savage Henry, tamthebam 111
40. Melanius Mullarkay 110
41. Arch Stanton, mozam76 101
43. Lofarl, Michael W, pub car king, The_Craig 99
47. Aim Here, Oystercatcher, weemac 97
50. Ray Patterson 96
51. djchapsticks 94
52. Moomintroll 93
53. dagane, Scorge 87
55. ParsJake, ThomCat 86
57. Indale Winton, sparky88 84
59. blackislekillie, Herc 74
61. ICTJohnboy 69
62. paulathame, Willie adie 68
64. atfccfc, DG.Roma, Fuctifano, HI HAT, lichtgilphead, thistledo 67
70. HTG 66
71. Dunning1874, sleazy 55
73. Empty It, The Hologram 48
75. DeeTillEhDeh, Jimmy Baker 42
77. Oceanlineayr, Salvo Montalbano, Shipa, statts1976uk 39
81. 10menwent2mow, dee_62, Enigma, mizfit, parxyz, scottsdad, senorsoupe, superwell87, Suspect Device 32
90. choirbairn, Derry Alli, expatowner, stanton 31
94. BillyAnchor, German Jag, superbigal 29
97. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RxCIfczRUmrRrW79tUQ0vJ5KaHZpYENsTKmDqW4X3W4/edit?usp=sharing

On 09/07/2023 at 12:22, Miguel Sanchez said:

Week 27 update

Two deaths to note this week. I don't know if I mentioned it then deleted it by accident last week but American weatherman Frank Field has died. He was a Solo Shot for @Curmudgeon but the only UK mentions a week after his death are from Yahoo and.... Hello Magazine. I don't know either.

Our second death this week is accupuncturist Mutulu Shakur, who died a few days ago. He was a Solo Shot for @Priti priti priti Patel but the only mentions of him from UK sources in the past year are from Yahoo and, ahem, UNILAD, mentioning him being released from prison last December.

So, two deaths. No points. It's the risk you take going for the obscure punters.

So I am still tragically on 0 points for my debut season. A sobering experience. 

If I can get someone at the Dumfries Courier to write about him will that suffice?