January Arrivals and Departures

From a Cove perspective I think a few of our players will be looking for a loan move, namely Morgyn Neill who supposedly Falkirk, Kelty and Montrose were all interested in before the last window closed. Part of the SPFL L1 team of the year last season he's a solid defender who will win everything in the air. Could be an asset to some in this division.

I have a feeling Robbie Leitch might be a candidate for a loan. His contract ends this coming summer and is frozen out the team. After a relatively shaky start to his Cove tenure he's done well in his brief spells and could do a job in L1. 

Vigurs is definitely one who will move on at some point but I doubt any L1 club would take him. If he goes in January it'll be a short stint from his home in Nairn to Elgin to see his mate Draper.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

Keeping Low till end of season would be a massive boost for us , Oware and Thomson back fit , Austin back and firing on all cylinders and we don’t need much to see the season out I think , Philp coming back in from loan spell at Stenny as well to bolster the squad so would just run with that and no silly spending in the marked up January window 

2 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

From a Cove perspective I think a few of our players will be looking for a loan move, namely Morgyn Neill who supposedly Falkirk, Kelty and Montrose were all interested in before the last window closed. Part of the SPFL L1 team of the year last season he's a solid defender who will win everything in the air. Could be an asset to some in this division.

I mentioned him a few months ago as someone I’d happily have at Airdrie. He might not be a perfect fit for our style of play but a big, solid defender with a presence in both boxes would be a great help.

Airdrie just need more players in general. We’ve currently got 14 first team outfielders and while we’ve mostly got away with that so far, there’s been a few games where a lack of options to change things has really cost us. Hopefully Jamieson extends his loan and Salim returns from Stranraer to add another option up front. I think we could do with strengthening everywhere but my priorities would be centre back (we have one natural centre back!), a defensive midfielder and a right sided wide player. Just having two or three decent options from the bench would be a huge step forward.

Not sure we need any particular areas strengthened, apart from maybe left back where the only cover for Edwards would be Breen or Chalmers playing out of position. Having a few extra bodies would help though as we still have quite a thin squad. It's testament to McPake and the squad that we're top despite being without McCann, O'Hara and Wighton for long spells thus far. 

As far as outs go, Mochrie might leave if the ITK Arab is right but that might not be as big a disaster as it might have been with Hosler showing signs or promise and it would allow us to move Todd slightly further forward which I think would see him chip in with even more "goal contributions".

For Alloa, I wouldn't mind an extra option at CB given Devine is injured long term and hopefully that'll allow Taggart to play RB every week. In a dream world, he'd be left footed and able to cover at lb in case Church gets injured.

Maybe a striker too if Offord goes back to St Mirren just to be greedy.

A right back, a centre midfielder and a striker in that order of priority.

I doubt we'll manage to bring anyone in unless we manage to offload a few. Maybe Hogarth going back to Forrest might free up some wages.

Blair Sneddon, Seb Ross, Stevie Hetherington, Craig McGuffie, Jamie Wilson and Finlay Malcolm are all free to good or bad homes. 

You can add Williamson and Nesbitt to that list. Sneddon is already out on loan, the aforementioned Williamson and Wilson are both injured and I'd be amazed if either of them kick another ball for us. Hogarth will be away back to Forest in January now that PJ is back fit. But striker, right back and midfielder required. Don't think we will get any of them. 

@CoveRangers1922is that you trying to offload Robbie Leitch on one of us? 😄

I'd take Morgyn Neill on loan in January, decent centre back for league 1 level and I don't think it's necessary to have two ball playing centre backs in a starting 11 (esepcially in league 1).

Would say Airdrie probably need around 3/4 in January minimum as it is a very tight squad, if there is going to be a push for the play offs, and if you make the play offs, it is vital that there is squad depth and options off the bench to change things.

The key area would be a defensive midfielder. I think a ball winning midfielder would transform this team, (can't think of any names for that role atm). 

If LJ extends his loan till the end of this season we wouldn't be needing any forward players especially if Salim comes back.

Other than that I'd probably say a left back (as I think ATS is much suited at centre back) or maybe a winger to add something different.

6 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

@CoveRangers1922is that you trying to offload Robbie Leitch on one of us? 😄

I'd take Morgyn Neill on loan in January, decent centre back for league 1 level and I don't think it's necessary to have two ball playing centre backs in a starting 11 (esepcially in league 1).

Would say Airdrie probably need around 3/4 in January minimum as it is a very tight squad, if there is going to be a push for the play offs, and if you make the play offs, it is vital that there is squad depth and options off the bench to change things.

The key area would be a defensive midfielder. I think a ball winning midfielder would transform this team, (can't think of any names for that role atm). 

If LJ extends his loan till the end of this season we wouldn't be needing any forward players especially if Salim comes back.

Other than that I'd probably say a left back (as I think ATS is much suited at centre back) or maybe a winger to add something different.

Yes, trying to find him a new home! He's got some talent and has improved during his time with us. Still not the finished article by any means but should be capable of finding a L1 club. Got some pace and a knack for a goal but downsides are strength and like many wingers the ability to do the defensive side of the game.

I could see Morgyn joining the Diamonds to be honest. I know my mate who is a scout for Airdrie rates him at L1 level.

I wonder if some of Hartley's Scottish signings will find there way back up North. Likes of Senna (DCM) doesn't seem to be getting much game time and would be a solid loan.

2 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Nothing to add but glad to see Cove Rangers back in these posts. 

Thanks. I've been tracking L1 this season, been reading the threads as well as going to a few games; mostly Peterhead and Montrose but seen FC Edinburgh, Dunfermline, Falkirk and Kelty in random matches and cup games too. Miss the weekly prediction thread of L1.

Very interested to see how the second half of the season shapes up as everyone from Kelty up are right in contention for the playoffs. Very competitive league as it was touted to be.

Hope the window unearths some talent for you. 

Edited by CoveRangers1922

1 hour ago, Clyde85 said:

I’d like to bin about 80% of our squad 😂

Not quite so bad at Queens i would like to bin about 70 % of our squad .

Difficult to get rid of players at this time they all want a pay off to leave .

Wullie has targets but going by his summer signings I worry if any will improve the squad .