Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

I was able to get Radio Caroline on my transistor last night. 

Big deal, Mr Modern Transistor Man!

My old wireless uses capacitors, diodes and vacuum tubes and works just great.  Vera Lynn sounds as good as ever!

2 hours ago, Artemis said:

They probably didn’t know that “cc” in emails stands for “carbon copy” which was carried over from copying paper documents.

Similarly bcc stands for Blind Carbon Copy.  This means another recipient that the other recipients don't get told about.

Not sure how that worked in the old fashioned sense.

2 hours ago, Artemis said:

They probably didn’t know that “cc” in emails stands for “carbon copy” which was carried over from copying paper documents.

Ffs! I’ve lived through both ages and never made that link! 
I do remember hearing a story, might be urban myth that some guy sent a fax about 40 times till the recipient called to ask what the f**k was happening & was told you can’t have it, because it’s still here (original), I’m sure it was between two police stations.

Anyway - “half bit or full bit” when referring to your work rate as a “Tattie howker” 

16 hours ago, TxRover said:

No. By the time the first general use GUI’s came into use, roughly mid-1980’s, the 3.5” floppy standard had just been adopted and it was thus used for the first GUI save icon. The 5.25” was already on its way out, much like the 8” had all but disappeared by 1982. The reason was size for the 8” disk and capacity for the 5.25” disc. The 5.25” maxed at about 360KB, while the 8” could hold up to 1.2MB, but was too wide for the average desktop case. The 3.25” started with 360KB, quickly jumped to 720KB, and finally topped out at 1.44MB. Also, the advantage of a hard case versus the actually floppy floppy was a winner.

Okay Then GIF - Okay Then Cherylcole - Discover & Share GIFs

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Similarly bcc stands for Blind Carbon Copy.  This means another recipient that the other recipients don't get told about.

Not sure how that worked in the old fashioned sense.

There have always been, and always will be, sneaky b*****ds.