Old sayings that younger folk won't get any longer

10 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

That more an wrong country than age thing,

Thought that was a stupid American phrase,

Although the fact it an American phrase mostly makes the use of the word stupid redundant.

Fair enough, I thought I remembered it in use in the UK in the 70’s, but might be mistaken. Certainly saw use during WW2 from the Yank troops, and it’s rhyming slang, so maybe that’s where I messed it up. You ain’t half wrong on redundant.

7 hours ago, scottsdad said:

My grandfather once described a girl my uncle had went out with as someone who "looked like she had been dooking for chips"

Anything relating to Simon Weston must also be lost on the current generation 

On 09/03/2023 at 17:49, TxRover said:

“Eighty six” something…meaning we’re out or don’t include that…”eighty six the onions”

I thought that was industry specific rather than age specific?

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I thought that was industry specific rather than age specific?

It was started in the 20’s, and was widespread in the 80’s…but now the kids working the register at food places give blank looks to it.

Oh, “count back the change”…means nothing now with the register telling you how much to give back…the look of panic when they type in a wrong amount, or the register fails, is priceless.

8 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Remember when people wrote sentences made of unintelligible text speak?

h8 2 sy bt smth imp cm up. mt 2mrw? Ttyl

The worst of mankind.

It was understandable when it was 12p a text. Nowadays it's not.

On 11/03/2023 at 02:45, TxRover said:

It was started in the 20’s, and was widespread in the 80’s…but now the kids working the register at food places give blank looks to it.

Oh, “count back the change”…means nothing now with the register telling you how much to give back…the look of panic when they type in a wrong amount, or the register fails, is priceless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/86_(term)#:~:text=Eighty-six or 86 is,in the 1920s or 1930s.

53 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If it hasn't been said - due to everyone having a mobile, kids nowadays will never experience their name being shouted across the scheme/estate to let them know their tea is ready. 

Even better was the shouted name being relayed…with the ones relaying knowing the favor would be repaid in similar fashion sometime.