Scottish Junior Cup

Seven out of the eight quarter finalists are WoSFL teams playing today, so I think it merits a mention on this section of P&B.

Bellshill Athletic v Glenafton Athletic

Dundee East Craigie v Shotts Bon Accord

Hurlford United v Cumnock Juniors

Larkhall Thistle v Rutherglen Glencairn

Just now, glensmad said:

Seven out of the eight quarter finalists are WoSFL teams playing today, so I think it merits a mention on this section of P&B.

Unfortunately gm the junior seems to be losing its relevance and possibly it's stature in the game. The challenge cup feels more exciting now. 

That's the way it goes sometimes, loved watching challenge cup games but would hate for junior cup to just fade away and die, some holistic thinking required to keep it alive for the future.

12 minutes ago, glensmad said:

That lineup shows how far this cup has fallen in recent years. Shame, but time it was put on the scrap heap

Challenge Cup has potential with the amount of teams, but difficult to get over excited about it lack of sponsorship and prize money for the winners!! It may well through time become the main cup at this level in terms of fan interest but feel it needs a televised final to start with.  The junior cup has lost its spark with the amount of teams withdrawn, however in Ayrshire it’s still the holy grail which lifts communities for a few days and I hope it gets a second wind and rejuvenates itself.

50 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Naw it disnae 

56 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Bet you'd rather be in the last 8 of the Big Scottish.

38 minutes ago, southerner said:

Challenge Cup has potential with the amount of teams, but difficult to get over excited about it lack of sponsorship and prize money for the winners!!

I think the days of decent sponsorships might be a thing of the past. The South Challenge did start the season with TradeRadiators.com but seems to have been dropped in recent draws.

The Junior Cup is onto its 2nd or 3rd since since Macron. Their twitter still seems a little confused by it as they've still got the Indigo Communications hashtag.

image.png.f95008404f4bc13137a992787be87636.png

It's a strange one because it has undoubtedly lost prestige and status in the last few years but I bet the crowd at the final is very good. It still has something about it that's unmatched by the other non league k/o trophies - history, mythology, etc. 

As for the ties, I would like to see the East Coast team win it now. 

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I think the days of decent sponsorships might be a thing of the past. The South Challenge did start the season with TradeRadiators.com but seems to have been dropped in recent draws.

The Junior Cup is onto its 2nd or 3rd since since Macron. Their twitter still seems a little confused by it as they've still got the Indigo Communications hashtag.

image.png.f95008404f4bc13137a992787be87636.png

This is really a job where the right persons should be in charge of arranging sponsorship of the respective cups. The potential for the challenge cup is huge if done the right way with all the quality teams involved.  Tv coverage, good coverage for draws, games etc... sponsors will come in if they feel its worthwhile so the cup is getting bigger and better so hopefully sponsors will see this and jump on board

I believe the south Challenge cup has the potential to be the cup to play for as the Junior cup is dwindling out, with 108 teams in the junior cup this year compared to south challenge cup which had 163 teams this year and to be fair, the challenge cup with the teams involved looks more exciting.  The junior cup is historical, that's for sure and many, many people have fond memories or ties, playing or watching their team win, lose etc.. but with the baggage that the junior cup has, just especially in the name most don't want it a part in this ever evolution of Scottish football.  In saying that, not just the Scottish junior cup, there is no room or apatite for a full none league Scotland cup, in both north and south so the challenge cup should kick on. 

Regarding monies, Many teams who received away draws in the junior cup had to pay out £800 just below or above for transport/coaches to and from ties and all the received was in the region of £240 which means a big loss and receiving a few away long draws can hurt hard.  Cant remember payments for the south challenge cup but know they changed it this year that gate money is halved. With more teams trying to get their SFA license and teams who have their license they see it more important being in the Main Scottish Cup so most are realizing or quite happy to bin the junior cup to make space for games

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

The National Challenge Cup.Tiers 5 to 10 along with the junior clubs.Give the fans what they want, an national trophy that will bring back the excitement and atmosphere of cup days.A trophy  that they have a realistic chance of winning.

That is me said all that I want to.I am fed up banging this drum.

44 minutes ago, happy said:

The National Challenge Cup.Tiers 5 to 10 along with the junior clubs.Give the fans what they want, an national trophy that will bring back the excitement and atmosphere of cup days.A trophy  that they have a realistic chance of winning.

Well it's up to the clubs, as all of them from tier 6 and below can now play in the Junior if they pay their entry fee.

2 hours ago, southerner said:

Challenge Cup has potential with the amount of teams, but difficult to get over excited about it lack of sponsorship and prize money for the winners!! It may well through time become the main cup at this level in terms of fan interest but feel it needs a televised final to start with.  The junior cup has lost its spark with the amount of teams withdrawn, however in Ayrshire it’s still the holy grail which lifts communities for a few days and I hope it gets a second wind and rejuvenates itself.

Do many fans get excited about a Junior Cup tie because they know that the winners get some prize money? Or about the prospect of their club losing money if drawn to a small club 100 miles away?