Spain (a) in October

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, fair enough.  Hendry's right foot can be deemed offside.  I still think it's a nonsense that VAR gets used in such a way, when the margins are so tiny.  Whatever happened to "clear and obvious error"?  Genuine question:  is that still a thing?

I agree that if he's offside, he is interfering.  Any offside, however, is so marginal.

However, I know that such decisions aren't confined to last night's match.  I also know that VAR did us some favours during our good late run to the World Cup play-offs.  Last night's ruling was pretty painful though.

That image doesn't show that Hendry's offside. It's a view down the goal line, not the offside line and you couldn't state with certainty from that that Morata's shoulder isn't closer to the goal than Hendry's foot. Also, you can't see the ball, so we don't even know if the image is from the correct time.

Just now, Alan Twelve said:

That image doesn't show that Hendry's offside. It's a view down the goal line, not the offside line and you couldn't state with certainty from that that Morata's shoulder isn't closer to the goal than Hendry's foot. Also, you can't see the ball, so we don't even know if the image is from the correct time.

All true in isolation, but it IS the image they showed the referee on screen to confirm offside, it's not something I just paused on tv. I think we can assume it's had lines drawn on it in the control room and that it was taken when the ball was hit even if they didn't show the full wider image on screen. If you wish to cast doubt on the actual process of deciding offside then that's a different argument. The only time I can think of offside being misjudged by technology was at the world cup when they drew the line on the wrong defender on an Argentinian goal ruled out and later apologised for it.

6 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Spain leading late on and a last kick of the game equaliser for Norway on Sunday please. 

This is the ideal scenario for me.

I just want us fucking qualified for this thing as early as possible so I'll also take a Spain win without question.

It is not entirely out of the question that we could have a nightmare in Georgia and lose and then also collapse against Norway, especially if Haaland is on his game.

Yes, we are a good team, but for me just qualifying with the minimum of fuss is 1st priority. Winning the group is a distant 2nd in my book.

Anyone wanting Norway to win on Sunday is off their head.

Edited by H Wragg

19 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well it's obvious he didn't give a foul. People preferring to believe a communications breakdown to what they can see with their own eyes doesn't make it so. From the moment he went over to the monitor they're clearly showing him an image relating to offside.

Yes, apologies for letting the facts get in the way of everybody's frustrated ranting.

The screen shown to fans said it was a foul and the referee signalled a direct free-kick. I don't really want to keep re-hashing it, but I'm just going by the evidence of my eyes. So yes, it is literally obvious that he gave a foul. It can't get more obvious .

It honestly looks like they gave a foul and then changed it later to offside which is the most maddening thing here. If he has given offside then I'll concede, reluctantly, that it was. If he was offside and interfering then he gives offside, the screens say offside and we go about our business.

Giving it as a foul when this wasn't clear or obvious and then changing it to offside later is just plain incompetent. I don't think we'd have page after page of pish if there had been clarity on what decision was reached.

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Logically you're right. I was just recalling that Dykes was booked for the goal against Israel and that was then rescinded when the goal was given on review. However, it was probably that the booking was for dangerous play / high feet rather than subsequent dissent. Once they overturn the goal then it's clearly not a foul and he can't be booked for it.

Nah Robertson got booked for dissent in that incident 

I love how some have decided that the ref accidentally signalled a foul, accidentally told the VAR he was chopping it off for a foul, accidentally told the Scotland players it was a foul but actually knew it was offside all the time is the sensible conclusion, whereas thinking he gave a foul and then it was changed to offside later in the game because VAR realised how bad it looked is somehow a crackpot theory.

The ref clearly chopped it off for a foul.

Edited by GAD

33 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well it's obvious he didn't give a foul. People preferring to believe a communications breakdown to what they can see with their own eyes doesn't make it so. From the moment he went over to the monitor they're clearly showing him an image relating to offside.

Yes, apologies for letting the facts get in the way of everybody's frustrated ranting.

This wasn't funny the first time you posted it. It wasn't funny the second time you posted it. It's certainly not funny after 73 posts about the referee disallowing the goal for offside. 

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

All true in isolation, but it IS the image they showed the referee on screen to confirm offside, it's not something I just paused on tv. I think we can assume it's had lines drawn on it in the control room and that it was taken when the ball was hit even if they didn't show the full wider image on screen. If you wish to cast doubt on the actual process of deciding offside then that's a different argument. The only time I can think of offside being misjudged by technology was at the world cup when they drew the line on the wrong defender on an Argentinian goal ruled out and later apologised for it.

You mean the image where the line appears to be drawn at Morata's foot and not his shoulder? And where the ball is already moving? That image?

Also, the ref gave a foul, the VAR reported a foul - the goal was not disallowed for offside.

I cannot remember a thread with a poster so desperate for attention as @Skyline Drifter

If you put the second goal down to a very freakish and unfortunate slip, we effectively lost by one goal to an excellent footballing side who were playing at home and who were desperate for the win.

The fact that we are disappointed about this shows just how far we’ve come under SC.

10 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

This is the ideal scenario for me.

I just want us fucking qualified for this thing as early as possible so I'll also take a Spain win without question.

It is not entirely out of the equation that we could have a nightmare in Georgia and lose and then also collapse against Norway, especially if Haaland is on his game.

Yes, we are a good team, but for me just qualifying with the minimum of fuss is 1st priority for me. Winning the group is a distant 2nd in my book.

Anyone wanting Norway to win on Sunday is off their heads.

It strikes me as a really Un-Scotland like blend of greed/arrogance to want anything other than the bird in the hand here tbh. I cant quite believe im reading people wanting to rely on firstly not losing away to Georgia, then not losing to Haalands Norway in a pressure cooker, rather than sitting on sunday night with the feet up confirming our presence at a major tournament for only the second time since 1998

41 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You seem quite happy about the whole thing tbf

34 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes, ok, fair point. If it was a fact they wouldn't need the referee to review it. It's very obviously interfering though, which is why he didn't need much of a look at it to confirm he was.

Yes. Referee always has reviewed potential interference. As I understand it, UEFA also want referees to look at vanilla offside decisions as well as part of ‘selling’ the decision.

Most posts since the game finished have been debating Mctominays ruled out goal. Only been a few posts about the game. 

Thought McGinn was uncharacteristically poor in a Scotland shirt, couldn’t seem to get the ball to stick. McGregor too. 

Mctominay and Hickey were our two best players imo, frightening when you realise Hickey is only 21. The boy will be a superstar in a few years. 

Felt the 3 centre halves done well and I’ve said it before on here but Porteous has really stepped up to the plate in a Scotland shirt and proved loads of folk wrong. 

I honestly don’t think we were anywhere near our best last night and coupled with an incompetent ref to only get beat 2-0 from a team like Spain isn’t the end of the world. 

Just now, Granny Danger said:

I cannot remember a thread with a poster so desperate for attention as @Skyline Drifter

If you put the second goal down to a very freakish and unfortunate slip, we effectively lost by one goal to an excellent footballing side who were playing at home and who were desperate for the win.

The fact that we are disappointed about this shows just how far we’ve come under SC.

You can't have a great memory. These kind of situations happen all the time on P&B. I've been in @Skyline Drifter situation before and it wasn't attention seeking and judging by his previous posts I'd bet he isn't seeking attention either and just has a strong opinion on this.

Just now, 2426255 said:

You can't have a great memory. These kind of situations happen all the time on P&B. I've been in @Skyline Drifter situation before and it wasn't attention seeking and judging by his previous posts I'd bet he isn't seeking attention either and just has a strong opinion on this.

Stopped reading there…

Just to chip in with “the ref got confused with his signal- it was obviously disallowed for offside” argument.

Take this so far to f**k, then take it a little further.

The referee is supposed to be international class if the “pressure” of looking at VAR makes him forget hand signals that he must make many times every match then he’s not fit for purpose, but we already knew that after McGinn was flattened. 

VAR is a farce anyway, but knowing that decisions made with VAR will be under scrutiny, especially in such an important game you’d think the referee would take a breath & ensure the correct signal given. This is compounded even more by the in stadia screens & UEFA confirmation.