Motherwell vs Hearts: Fir Park 2023-02-19 12:00

Motherwell played well, we played shite. Absolutely fair result, but no reason for Hearts fans to start worrying - we were bound to have a day when everyone was. 4 out of 10 some day, and it just happened to coincide with a day when the opposition was all 7s at least.

As baffling as ever to see the same set of players suddenly turn it on for a new manager, though, esp since I had the impression Hammell was a popular appointment as boss.

Just now, Archie McSquackle said:

Going by Sportscene, Motherwell should have had a penalty for the challenge by Snodgrass on Van Veen. At the time I thought it was a fair challenge but is that not the sort of thing VAR was brought in for?

Looked a great tackle on the telly even in slow motion (I tend to avoid watching those slavering halfwits on Sportscene if I can avoid it)

40 minutes ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Hearts were absolutely shite, certainly in part down to Motherwell playing well but our passing, movement and effort levels were all dreadful for the majority of the game.

Getting sick of watching us play with no midfield to fit in an extra centre half, especially when the defence continues to ship awful goals nearly every week.

Completely agree. The fixation Neilson has with this shape is beyond me. We just don't play to our strengths.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Not sure we played as well as we did in the 0-3 game but it was job done.

I think we played significantly better in the 0-3 game and created numerous chances. Poor finishing and Craig Gordon put paid to us getting anything from the game. That and the fact that we played too open that day and allowed ourselves to get picked off.

Its a fine line to tred between pragmatism and entertainment. But I did fair enjoy that today, so I guess we got the balance right! 😉

Edited by joewarkfanclub

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I think we played significantly better in the 0-3 game and created numerous chances. Poor finishing and Craig Gordon put paid to us getting anything from the game. That and the fact that we played too open that day and allowed ourselves to get picked off.

Its a fine line to tred between pragmatism and entertainment. But I did fair enjoy that today, so I guess we got the balance right! 😉

I think if you look at the game under Alexander that we beat Hearts early last season and today's game - that's the best way to play Hearts at Fir Park as it's more effective to get the better teams out of their comfort zone. The 3-0 game, although we came away scratching our head how it ended without us scoring was quite naïve and Hearts picked us off really well that day.

The first game might have been nicer football in lots of ways - but I get plenty of entertainment from a game like today.

Edited by Swello

20 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

Well, aye. I got that wrong about combining for a goal today, right enough. Not exactly an outlandish prediction though, as they seem to work well together and have a wee understanding. Maybe the next game. I’ll be sure to look for your reply if I do post though. 😄

Hearts fans are getting very like Celtic fans...

(Not a compliment.)

ETA: Very like Celtic fans...

Edited by Jacksgranda
Grandma

16 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

The sign of an average side that thinks it's much better than it actually is are fans from every other club ripping the utter pish out of your club when reality bites.

So we've been upgraded from pish to average then? Sounds like progress.

I don't think any fans would care about how good they are so long as they were finishing best of the rest, especially when there's Euro football at stake. We'll probably break the 60 points barrier again. If there was any competition then we'd have a fight on our hands but there's not. If you break 60 points you're a good side at this level. If you break 70 then you're exceptional so that can be our goal for next year and I think we're 2 or 3 players away from achieving that.

1 hour ago, Falcor Roar said:

So we've been upgraded from pish to average then? Sounds like progress.

I don't think any fans would care about how good they are so long as they were finishing best of the rest, especially when there's Euro football at stake. We'll probably break the 60 points barrier again. If there was any competition then we'd have a fight on our hands but there's not. If you break 60 points you're a good side at this level. If you break 70 then you're exceptional so that can be our goal for next year and I think we're 2 or 3 players away from achieving that.

And you're basing that on what? You've had one win more this season than we have, with 2/3rds of the season gone. Hardly walking away with it. And before you bring up injuries, we've arguably been hit with them worse.

1 hour ago, Falcor Roar said:

I don't think any fans would care about how good they are so long as they were finishing best of the rest

Can vouch for this, whilst we were going through our wee spell of finishing 2nd (any of you other diddies managed this back-to-back recently? No?), the season where BIG JOHN SUTTON INCOMINGGGGGG clinched it in injury time at Pitoddrie is still a source of hilarity for us as, contrary to the season before that where we were brilliant, we were so unbelievably shite that year that we can't quite get our heads round how we managed it again. However that was up there with one of the biggest celebrations we've ever had....absolutely limbs everywhere.

Edited by Al B