The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.

Ludo*1

The SNP now have to come up with a leader who either the Greens or Alba (Alex Salmond) will vote for.  Most likely the Greens as they can't get legislation through with just the backing of Regan.

What a mess.

Just now, ICTChris said:

The SNP now have to come up with a leader who either the Greens or Alba (Alex Salmond) will vote for.  Most likely the Greens as they can't get legislation through with just the backing of Regan.

What a mess.

It's not a mess at all. It's just a feature of the PR system. At least we can see this all happening and make decisions based upon it. 

I see two options:

1. Another continuity candidate who will do a looser arrangement with the Greens to roll back some of Yousaf’s climate policy announcements. This is by far the most likely imo.

2. Pivot to the right with Kate Forbes in return for being propped up by Alba and at least one of the unionist parties.

This is probably the most disillusioned with Scottish politics as I've ever been. I'm sick of the SNP - especially after covid. When it comes to supporting a party, as someone who deeply cares about environmental / climate change issues then naturally I'd want to vote Green. Sadly the Scottish Greens right now come across as a bunch of absolute cretins. Alba are oddballs. The rest are unionist gimps. At this stage I've completely lost interest.

Just now, sparky88 said:

It's not a mess at all. It's just a feature of the PR system. At least we can see this all happening and make decisions based upon it. 

3 minutes ago, JS_FFC said:

I see two options:

1. Another continuity candidate who will do a looser arrangement with the Greens to roll back some of Yousaf’s climate policy announcements. This is by far the most likely imo.

2. Pivot to the right with Kate Forbes in return for being propped up by Alba and at least one of the unionist parties.

I don't think they will do that.  The climate targets aren't going to be met, the SNP could elect anyone as leader and that doesn't change.  

I don't think that any of the Unionist parties would prop up Kate Forbes or anyone else.  The truth is that the SNP are now vulnerable, there isn't much to be gained by propping them up.  Scottish politics is also more polarised than it was before - it seems another world where Annabel Goldie's Tories would vote for Alex Salmond's budgets after a few concessions.

The sensible approach would be "Give it Swinnsy til end of season" so I fully expect them to do something insane.

The rumour going round that a majority of MSPs had already agreed to back Jenny Gilruth before Humza quit.

And the decision that Stephen Flynn had told Humza to do this to unite the party. After campaigning from from Fergus Ewing.

Which has led to the MP group being banned from leadership talks.

25 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

This is probably the most disillusioned with Scottish politics as I've ever been. I'm sick of the SNP - especially after covid. When it comes to supporting a party, as someone who deeply cares about environmental / climate change issues then naturally I'd want to vote Green. Sadly the Scottish Greens right now come across as a bunch of absolute cretins. Alba are oddballs. The rest are unionist gimps. At this stage I've completely lost interest.

And the fact that you will still vote for the SNP because they are the Second Independence Referendum Party means the whole shitshow will continue.  It's not your fault. Just a reflection of how successful the SNP   have been in mining independence support for votes. 

It now seems bananas that independence supporters would vote for parties other than SNP, but they did, for decades. 

Edited by sparky88

The sicko in me would like to see someone from the Forbes/Ewing MAGA wing end up as the leader, just to see what their grand plan for independence and uniting the party is. It would be a real shock to discover that they have just been full of bluster the entire time.

23 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Tough gig for whoever replaces him, nobody with any sense should be touching it.   

It's why it would be an ideal gig for Swinney, to get them to the end of the season (general election) then get some fresh blood in. 

24 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Same.  I think I'll sit out the old voting for a decade or too.  All the parties up here are all either fucking useless (SNP, Greens), genital inspecting weirdos (Alba) or Unionist, Butcher's Apron flying, bootlicking cuck scum (Tories, Labour, Lib Dem).

Resigning at high noon then. What a cluster f**k this last few days has been, even by SNP standards. He clearly believed he was going to stay on as FM at the end of last week. The wise old men within the SNP have obviously had a word with him over the weekend and told him he's finished and here we are. 

The worst FM in Scottish history IMO. 

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Same.  I think I'll sit out the old voting for a decade or too.  All the parties up here are all either fucking useless (SNP, Greens), genital inspecting weirdos (Alba) or Unionist, Butcher's Apron flying, bootlicking cuck scum (Tories, Labour, Lib Dem).

Give the Unionist, Butcher’s Apron flying, bootlicking cuck scum a chance at running things?

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

You do have to wonder how Humza thought this was going to pan out. It's not like there's been any surprises here.

Best case scenario is that he thought the guy who used to have his job but now nurses a grudge would strongarm his bitter former leadership adversary into backing him regardless, which would make him a simpleton.

He'll be the latter. A friend of a friend knows him and and said (well before he was leader) everyone knew he's a complete marmite character. There's enough evidence to suggest that'll be the case going forward - he's not a person who ever admits to doing wrong. There's enough examples of that on social media where he's made big statements only to get called out on it.

17 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

The sicko in me would like to see someone from the Forbes/Ewing MAGA wing end up as the leader, just to see what their grand plan for independence and uniting the party is. It would be a real shock to discover that they have just been full of bluster the entire time.

Yeah I get this.  I think the independence movement is in the right place to have some right wing freak do a placement as leader.  

22 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I had David Cameron calling the Brexit referendum as the stupidest career suicide act, until now. 

I actually think the SNP are of the opinion that it would be better for another party to be leading the Scottish Government. With everything going just now with the economy etc (and probably over the next few years) no matter how competent you are, you are going to be hugely unpopular. It's a cowardly position but sadly I suspect it might be true.

This, however, is hilarious.  The Tories are finished in Scotland for the foreseeable future.

Screenshot_20240429_103334_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Alert Mongoose