The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.

Ludo*1

40 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The Times reports that Yousaf will resign.  I don’t have the free articles left to read it, so cannot confirm if their main source is Murdo Fraser.

They said the same on Friday.

We'll see.soon enough.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

You do have to wonder how Humza thought this was going to pan out. It's not like there's been any surprises here.

Best case scenario is that he thought the guy who used to have his job but now nurses a grudge would strongarm his bitter former leadership adversary into backing him regardless, which would make him a simpleton.

20 minutes ago, BFTD said:

You do have to wonder how Humza thought this was going to pan out. It's not like there's been any surprises here.

Best case scenario is that he thought the guy who used to have his job but now nurses a grudge would strongarm his bitter former leadership adversary into backing him regardless, which would make him a simpleton.

I dont think he is a particularly astute politician, but his hand was forced by the corner painted by Harvie and Slater. 

We can argue all we like about whether the Greens would actually have decided on a VonC in 3 weeks or so, but if HY had let that play out it makes his govt look even weaker.  Ultimately, I dont think they had much choice but to boot the Greens into the long grass - even if that was at the expense of his job (which he must have seen as one of the main outcomes).

Harvie and Slater had stated over the weekend that their main beef was with HY and if the SNP selected a new leader then that would perhaps give a solution - and yet we have Harvie on the radio this am "warning" against Kate Forbes !

When the SNP put a new leader in place, the likes of the Greens and Alba will be placed squarely under the spotlight - will they side with Unionists if Labour go through with their (ludicrous) VonC against the entire government?

Unlikely imv.

On 25/04/2024 at 08:43, Michael W said:

Fair play to him here, tbh. Didn't think he'd have the backbone to terminate it himself. 

Looks like my judgement is as good as Yousaf's then. 

Kicking out the Greens was always a safe bet purely in terms of an SNP administration. Alba, Greens and Tories won't bring the govt down as they, and the SNP, would be the big losers from any general election.

It also meant HY was never going to be able to lead the parliament.

I wonder if he has been counselled to do this by people in the party who knew exactly that. 

I dont think people knew how unpopular he really was until the WM campaigning started in Feb/March.

No wonder his cabinet colleagues were banging the the table when he made the announcement.

That or he is just an absolute simpleton. 

Both seem plausible.

NAP that a new SNP leader will be chosen (not Forbes) who will do a looser deal with the Greens to elect them as FM and prop up the government in return for rolling back some of the recent climate policy announcements. It’ll be one of Swinney, Gray or Gilruth. 

Kezia for the lolz and head explosions. 

Falling that, whoever else would cause Foulkes, Murray and Fraser to lose the absolute run of themselves. 

7 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Will Swinney be the continuity candidates continuity candidate? Can't see many others who could hold the line and avoid an early election being called 

Not sure continuity is so highly prized im the SNP these days.

They want a purposful reset, they need a line drawn under the last year and a bit and some fresh energy.

John Swinney has previously said he's going to step back from leadership roles.  Kate Forbes presents a number of challenges in terms of having a working government as the Greens are implacably opposed to her, seemingly.

15 minutes ago, renton said:

Not sure continuity is so highly prized im the SNP these days.

They want a purposful reset, they need a line drawn under the last year and a bit and some fresh energy.

Blue sky thinking adds to an already complex situation. Working to a timeframe and avoiding an early election keeps options limited 

Mairi McAllan would be my choice, but I don’t think she’ll go for it quite yet. I’ve no doubt she’ll lead the SNP and likely the Scottish government at some point in the future. 

8 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Mairi McAllan would be my choice, but I don’t think she’ll go for it quite yet. I’ve no doubt she’ll lead the SNP and likely the Scottish government at some point in the future. 

She's just about to go on maternity leave so timing not ideal for her.

Struggle to see what Jenny Gilruth does that Humza doesn't. Can't quite picture her statue in George Square as a result of her bringing us independence either. Perhaps she's the Scottish Otto von Bismarck that we've been overlooking. 

Edited by sparky88