The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.

Ludo*1

I don't think it's helpful to say "Tory Free". It definitely plays well to the base and will perhaps gain some voters from Labour for certain seats, but I can entirely understand Wishart's reluctance to use it. The electorate he serves don't seem to be particularly partisan and he won the seat by only 21 votes in 2017. He took 50% of the vote in 2019 but he can't rest on those laurels given the history of voting in his particular seat. Humza put him in a fairly awkward position by saying what he did.

It seems an ill-advised choice of words to use and I'd prefer it if a First Minister would be less divisive in his rhetoric. The conservative party account for about a quarter of the votes in Scotland and he's the First Minister of those people too. I understand what he meant, but this game is about optics and, in the case of the SNP, not giving your opponents or the media an absolute tap-in.

20 minutes ago, velo army said:

I don't think it's helpful to say "Tory Free". It definitely plays well to the base and will perhaps gain some voters from Labour for certain seats, but I can entirely understand Wishart's reluctance to use it. The electorate he serves don't seem to be particularly partisan and he won the seat by only 21 votes in 2017. He took 50% of the vote in 2019 but he can't rest on those laurels given the history of voting in his particular seat. Humza put him in a fairly awkward position by saying what he did.

It seems an ill-advised choice of words to use and I'd prefer it if a First Minister would be less divisive in his rhetoric. The conservative party account for about a quarter of the votes in Scotland and he's the First Minister of those people too. I understand what he meant, but this game is about optics and, in the case of the SNP, not giving your opponents or the media an absolute tap-in.

It might be half decent as an election slogan but it does nothing for what should be his greater purpose. He needs to convince a decent amount of those 25% that indy is better for them, not that they will be somehow banished. 

11 minutes ago, sophia said:

It might be half decent as an election slogan but it does nothing for what should be his greater purpose. He needs to convince a decent amount of those 25% that indy is better for them, not that they will be somehow banished. 

The thing is that people voting Conservative aren't necessarily unionist  and people voting SNP aren't necessarily pro independence. Elections have shown that people vote differently in both Scottish and Westminster elections and people won't necessarily vote along party loyalist lines either. Rather than continually making it about Indy the SNP need to give people a reason outwith national lines to vote for their party. Policies which benefit the lives of the majority of people (and especially the poorest) are a good start. Demonising "Tories" in constituencies which don't treat this label as a sweary word isn't particularly smart. 

Also, Perthshire voted 60% against independence in 2014 so I don't imagine they'll be won over this time around. It's not a battle worth fighting up there imo.

On 03/04/2024 at 22:05, velo army said:

I think that's a really key thing for the independence movement if it wants to succeed going forward. It's to acknowledge that people will vote Conservative, and up until the 80s was basically a Tory voting country. And that's not counting the small "c" conservatives who are happy and content with the status quo, have their representation at WM and the stability of being part of something bigger. If recent years are anything to go by, I think there will be a a change to voting intentions away from the SNP and towards maybe the Liberals and Tories.

I am not a polling expert, just what I think when talking to people in my office.

38 minutes ago, lau03143 said:

I think that's a really key thing for the independence movement if it wants to succeed going forward. It's to acknowledge that people will vote Conservative, and up until the 80s was basically a Tory voting country. And that's not counting the small "c" conservatives who are happy and content with the status quo, have their representation at WM and the stability of being part of something bigger. If recent years are anything to go by, I think there will be a a change to voting intentions away from the SNP and towards maybe the Liberals and Tories.

I am not a polling expert, just what I think when talking to people in my office.

Thanks - you fair cheered me up on a dreich day!

On 05/04/2024 at 11:18, lau03143 said:

And what sort of office would that be ?  An Estates Office in Aberdeenshire by any chance ?

1 minute ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I want to know how the Faroes islands managed to afford them. They're surely too wee and too poor.

59 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I want to know how the Faroes islands managed to afford them. They're surely too wee and too poor.

Subsidy junkies getting their extravagances funded by the hard-working BRITTISH DANNISH taxpayer!

3 hours ago, superbigal said:

Xmas dinner on hold again.

Humza Yousaf's brother-in-law charged with abduction and extortion

It genuinely pisses me off when the media use the misdemeanours of relatives to attack politicians.

Unless the politician has been involved (like covering ut up) then it has sweet f**k all relevance.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

1 hour ago, bennett said:

Can build tunnels to the islands but struggle to build ferries. 

Should be ok just as long as they keep the weegies as far away as possible 

2 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It genuinely pisses me off when the media use the misdemeanours of relatives to attack politicians.

Unless the politician has been involved (like covering ut up) then it has sweet f**k all relevance.

But similar relatives are a major issue after going somewhere they were told to avoid?

4 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It genuinely pisses me off how some people will defend their pet politicians all while refusing to engage with any critical thinking themselves. 

16 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

It genuinely pisses me off how some people will defend their pet politicians all while refusing to engage with any critical thinking themselves. 

Not really. 

The attack dogs were unleashed upon Tony Booth. It was wrong then and it is wrong now. Also Denis Thatcher enjoyed a gin but that was kinda cute what what

27 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Considering I have a low opinion of Humza then you are way wide of the mark. 

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

5 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's amazing how many of them have an embarrassing sibling. Bill Clinton, for example.

What a minter it must be for Roger Clinton to admit he's related to a prolific sex offender.