The Very Meh Humza Yousaf Thread.

Ludo*1

On 09/03/2024 at 21:19, AyrExile said:

Why? A quick search of media channels and you will read this 

Should be easy to post a link to a credible source then. 

12 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

@AyrExile with shades of Stephen Kerr. 

Racist dog whistle pish of the first degree.

Racism being brought into the equation now when asking whether public servants are doing the right thing or not. Surely there can't be a bigger story here and it can be all cleared up with the official documents. You must remember a previous racist scandal involving the nursery close to home 

11 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Mischief-making of the worst kind by the Scottish Tories. 

Looks like deflection from their own donor problems.

If they want to attack the First Minister I can think of a list of far more important issues than this manufactured pish.

Edited by DeeTillEhDeh

I'm really struggling with the weekend Yousaf speech and thoughts, even to the extent to agreeing with Wishart,

Longest-serving SNP MP brands election message 'unhelpful' - BBC News

Election is a straight fight between SNP and Tories - Yousaf - BBC News

No country should be a one-party state, and the talk of totally removing them I find difficult to accept.

Putin runs a one party state by having no opposition, that is an extreme comparison and don't think Yousaf will be having Murdo Fraser imprisoned and then accidently dying on a walk. but society is better with differing views to react to. The current SNP has become wasteful and lacking direction and inward facing and self-destructive with no real opposition in recent years. Would they be better by less with all opposition destroyed?

23 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

I'm really struggling with the weekend Yousaf speech and thoughts, even to the extent to agreeing with Wishart,

No country should be a one-party state, and the talk of totally removing them I find difficult to accept.

Putin runs a one party state by having no opposition, that is an extreme comparison and don't think Yousaf will be having Murdo Fraser imprisoned and then accidently dying on a walk. but society is better with differing views to react to. The current SNP has become wasteful and lacking direction and inward facing and self-destructive with no real opposition in recent years. Would they be better by less with all opposition destroyed?

The Tories have been the government since 2010 but you needn't worry about them turning the UK into a one-party state as they're due to lose this election to Labour. Yousaf was talking about seats in Scotland which are an SNP-Tory battle. This is a Westminster not Holyrood election.

1 hour ago, MEADOWXI said:

Putin isn't a comparison at all. It's perfectly obvious that the desire is to see them booted out at the ballot box through a reduced share of the vote. That's the same Tories who think there should be a line drawn under the Frank Hester "Diane Abbott should be shot" affair. That's Frank Hester the single largest Tory donor, loaner of helicopter to the PM, recipient of any number of govt contracts. That's the same Tories who want to keep his £10m and move on. 

And don't get me started on Jackie Baillie using Lucy Letby as a point scoring tool. 

Reducing the number of people who vote for Sunak, Braverman, Badenoch, Patel and these other fucking nutjobs so that they win no seats is fine by me. There's been discussion on other threads about whether we might see the return of moderate Tories into positions of influence within the party. There won't be if people keep voting for these arseholes. In that context, having no Tory MPs in Scotland is fine by me. I can live easily without Fraser, Kerr, Bowie and Ross in some way pretending to represent Scotland. 

1 hour ago, HTG said:

Reducing the number of people who vote for Sunak, Braverman, Badenoch, Patel and these other fucking nutjobs so that they win no seats is fine by me. There's been discussion on other threads about whether we might see the return of moderate Tories into positions of influence within the party. There won't be if people keep voting for these arseholes. In that context, having no Tory MPs in Scotland is fine by me. I can live easily without Fraser, Kerr, Bowie and Ross in some way pretending to represent Scotland. 

I think that's the nub of the issue. To want Scotland to be a Tory MP free zone (which Yousaf didn't say) is a perfectly fair political statement; but to want Scotland to be free of Tories (which Yousaf did say), to my sensitive sensibilities, crosses a line.

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

I think that's the nub of the issue. To want Scotland to be a Tory MP free zone (which Yousaf didn't say) is a perfectly fair political statement; but to want Scotland to be free of Tories (which Yousaf did say), to my sensitive sensibilities, crosses a line.

If people don't vote Tory then those voters are not tories, are they? So you can end up with a tory-free Scotland just by not voting tory rather than by executing or deporting tories, or whatever it is you're pretending to believe Yousaf meant.

7 hours ago, alta-pete said:

I'm not at all surprised that this is being debated as his clumsy language jarred with me. 

No Tories were returned in 1997 but given approximately 20% are happy to vote for them, they're never going to simply go away for good. 

The bigger picture is that there are many that the indendence movement actually needs to convince that will instead be getting a "day of reckoning" shudder à la Jim Sillars. 

It just doesn't sound sufficiently grown up for my liking. 

When there are no shortage of valid criticisms to be made of Yousaf on policy and competence, it's genuinely baffling that people are attempting to make this non-story an issue.

It's no different from Douglas Ross saying he wants to "get rid of the SNP" and "kick the nationalists out" or Anas Sarwar saying he wants to "boot the Tories out". Those are all actual quotes: just because they didn't clarify "that means their MPs and MSPs" at the end doesn't mean they're actually going to round up everyone who doesn't vote how they like and deport them.

This is entirely normal political rhetoric which every party in Holyrood has used and everyone knows this, including the people claiming to be bothered by it here. It's hardly a parallel with calling for someone to be shot, which may explain why the Tories are so desperate for this to become a story when that sort of extreme statement has actually happened.

Everyone claiming this bothers them should grow up, frankly.

31 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

When there are no shortage of valid criticisms to be made of Yousaf on policy and competence, it's genuinely baffling that people are attempting to make this non-story an issue.

It's no different from Douglas Ross saying he wants to "get rid of the SNP" and "kick the nationalists out" or Anas Sarwar saying he wants to "boot the Tories out". Those are all actual quotes: just because they didn't clarify "that means their MPs and MSPs" at the end doesn't mean they're actually going to round up everyone who doesn't vote how they like and deport them.

This is entirely normal political rhetoric which every party in Holyrood has used and everyone knows this, including the people claiming to be bothered by it here. It's hardly a parallel with calling for someone to be shot, which may explain why the Tories are so desperate for this to become a story when that sort of extreme statement has actually happened.

Everyone claiming this bothers them should grow up, frankly.

Indeed.  I'm more bothered about that nice Mr Wishart trying to protect precious Perthshire sensibilities.  The dry boak springs to mind.

• 2 weeks later...