THE RUN IN

Well, if momentum is key this season, then we are currently splashing around in troubled waters. Picking the four most likely sides to feature in the play-offs, we currently have zero momentum and the worst record by a country mile over the last five games.

QotS 13 points, Alloa 9 points, Airdrie 15 points, Falkirk 3 points.

CEFA80E5-4BA0-4380-AD88-3C9CBBD91C27.jpeg

Edited by Duncan Freemason

1 hour ago, David Fernández said:

Looking back at last season I'm not surprised Queens Park managed to win the play offs. The league table shows that they only conceded 36 goals last season and lost 7 games.

They drew a half of their games which is madness, but despite being the most boring team on the face of the earth drawing 1-1 with everyone, the format of the play offs definitely suited them.

Those competing for the play offs this season are teams who are more inconsistent and have conceded more goals, so I definitely think momentum matters. One team I'm definitely fearful of is QOS (if they get there) as they are on an excellent run of form just now.

I'm well aware of our play off record as is every Airdrie fan, but I definitely think this run in will be very exciting and it's very difficult to predict.

Screenshot_20230409_210502_Chrome.jpg

Yeah, Queen’s Park only won one game in the play-offs in 90 minutes and even that was a very late winner at Dunfermline. They were a much better team across those four games than the ones we faced earlier in the season and absolutely deserved to go up but as you say, the format suited them perfectly. 

I agree on Queens too. Alloa are a tricky side but I’d much rather have them alongside Airdrie and Falkirk as we’ve shown we’re capable of beating them. There’s various reasons why we’ve struggled against Queens but I’d rather avoid them if possible. It’s very hard to predict though with each week throwing up a surprise result somewhere.

43 minutes ago, Parsman85 said:

Thanks for posting that. I actually forgot there was teams below us. 

You thought it was a 1 team league? Did you think you've been playing friendlies all season? 

9 hours ago, Mr November said:

Yeah, Queen’s Park only won one game in the play-offs in 90 minutes and even that was a very late winner at Dunfermline

Against 10 men as well. Nightmare.

Edited for the Airdrie boys! 👍

Queen of the South might win the Play-offs?  They are coming into form at exactly the right time and have the momentum!

Airdrie have big chances also, but after battering the bottom three teams for 6, 7 and 5, goals dried up a bit only managing to beat Alloa 1-0, in their next game which was poor for such a magnificent team!!! 😜

Alloa are poor, and Falkirk probably not quite good enough,(in my opinion, which counts for fuk all, especially in my hoose!.)   Hamilton or Arbroath will be decent,  but  either of Queens or Airdrie for me, will be the form team at the right time.

Edited by Tenkay

15 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

Airdrie still have big chances, but after battering the bottom three teams, goals have dried up a bit

Not to be a complete pedant, but we beat playoff chasing Montrose 3-0 on Saturday...

4 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Not to be a complete pedant, but we beat playoff chasing Montrose 3-0 on Saturday...

Aye, sorry mate.   I just remember after yous hitting 6 and 7   against the bottom teams  that yous only managed to beat Alloa 1-0.

Every chance you win the play-offs.  👍

5 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

Aye, sorry mate.   I just remember after yous hitting 6 and 7   against the bottom teams  that yous only managed to beat Alloa 1-0.

Every chance you win the play-offs.  👍

Ironically, the 1 nil against Alloa was in many ways more pleasing as that was a result we would have bottled in previous years.

The only way now that we can realistically get into the top 4 is by overtaking Alloa, and I think this weekend will make that more difficult.  Both clubs are visiting Fife, but our game is likely to be tougher.  I think we really need to at least match what Alloa achieve to stay in it, and that's a real challenge.

If we consider ourselves still alive, then we can't quite yet dismiss Edinburgh either, who are only a point back with a much better goal difference.  They visit Clyde this week, so must have a decent chance of making up ground.

No matter how you cut it, and how well we've done lately, I still think we're going to miss out here.  Our run probably needed to start about a fortnight earlier than it did.

1 hour ago, Tenkay said:

Queen of the South will win the Play-offs!   They are coming into form at exactly the right time and have the momentum!

Airdrie still have big chances, but after battering the bottom three teams, goals have dried up a bit, but still winning the tight games which is good for play-off football.

Alloa are poor, and Falkirk not good enough either.   Hamilton or Arbroath will be decent,  but  either  Queens or Airdrie will be the form team at the right time.

Not sure this post will weather well.

"Airdrie's ...  goals have dried up a bit" ... really?

"Alloa are poor" ... really?

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

Not sure this post will weather well.

"Airdrie's ...  goals have dried up a bit" ... really?

"Alloa are poor" ... really?

Almost as if a 3-0 win over Montrose and winning at Alloa by 1 goal isn't good enough eh

12 hours ago, Tenkay said:

Airdrie still have big chances, but after battering the bottom three teams, goals have dried up a bit, but still winning the tight games which is good for play-off football.

Yes, of course. Scoring four and conceding none across two matches against clubs with play off aspirations, the goals have definitely dried up.

We’ve shown more grit over the last two than across the whole season imo. If we’d shown an ounce of fight that we did to see out the Alloa game against Dunfermline we’d already be past Falkirk in the league.

This all said, you are probably right. Airdrie and play-offs simply do not mix. Although I keep saying the law of averages mean we have to get through one soon enough.

On 10/04/2023 at 04:00, Tenkay said:

Queen of the South will win the Play-offs!   They are coming into form at exactly the right time and have the momentum!

Alloa are poor, and Falkirk not good enough either.   Hamilton or Arbroath will be decent,  but  either  Queens or Airdrie will be the form team at the right time.

This post misses on a big part of our success which is that we’ve only conceded 2 goals in 5 games. Last 5 games, scoring over 4 goals on average and conceding less than half a goal.  The Falkirk game will be a bit of a psychological battle and McGlynn knows he can reverse a lot of the negative feelings around the club with a solid win over us. Victory for Falkirk puts them firmly in the driving seat for second place.   Us defeating Falkirk will put us in a great place with a chance of second, most likely facing Falkirk in the playoff first round and Rhys would have one eye on the post season. I hate to make a call on this game since there are a few factors to consider but after 5 good wins we have to go there with confidence 

On 10/04/2023 at 09:00, Tenkay said:

I think i'd concentrate on getting into the playoffs first before predicting your going to win them. A bad result or two for any team at this stage changes the landscape quickly. 

3 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

I think i'd concentrate on getting into the playoffs first before predicting your going to win them. A bad result or two for any team at this stage changes the landscape quickly. 

He's not a Queen of the South fan, he's an Edinburgh one. 🙄

Edited by Skyline Drifter

27 minutes ago, ebobsboy said:

24 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's not a Queen of the South fan, he's an Edinburgh one. 🙄

There isn't a single QoS poster on here who'd say we're winning the playoffs :lol:

31 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

There isn't a single QoS poster on here who'd say we're winning the playoffs :lol:

Indeed. I do think we have a shot if we get in, but both Falkirk and Airdrie have been consistently better than us over the season, and Falkirk at least have looked comfortably better across the head to heads too, never mind who may yet be 11th in the Championship.

However, on the balance of probabilities, we're still not likely to get in them. Alloa remain favourites.