Nicola Sturgeon Arrested, Peter Murrell Charged

Lex

5 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I'm sure I've posted this on this thread before but fraud is very difficult to prove and usually takes a lot of investigating, a lot of analysis of documents.  In addition, I'm not sure that anyone has ever been charged in Scotland for crimes like this - taking donations for one thing and allegedly using them for others.  There are still questions about whether what has happened is even a crime.  Obviously add in that the people who are being investigated were highly invovled in the governing party and were the First Minister, it's obviously different to any other case that has ever been prosecuted in Scotland.

That isn't the charge though.  It is embezzlement is it not.  Which would be Murrell using SNP funds (However obtained) for personal use.

18 minutes ago, strichener said:

That isn't the charge though.  It is embezzlement is it not.  Which would be Murrell using SNP funds (However obtained) for personal use.

Have the charges actually been confirmed, or is this (informed?) speculation?

23 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Have the charges actually been confirmed, or is this (informed?) speculation?

"Police Scotland has today (Thursday, 23 May, 2024) submitted a standard prosecution report to the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service in relation to a 59-year-old man who was charged on 18 April, 2024, in connection with the embezzlement of funds from the Scottish National Party.

Investigations continue and we are unable to comment further."

The Crown Office hasn't decided whether to proceed though.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Murrell’s silence is ominous.  If he had done nothing wrong I reckon he’d be demanding his day in court.

I imagine that his lawyers have advised him not to say anything.

It might come down to whether the camper van was for personal use or included as legitimate party expenses. If it's about if money was illegally diverted from a ring fenced fund for a theoretical future referendum to general party expenses, it would be more challenging to prove wrongdoing I'd have thought, but also more damaging to the SNP as you'd think it would be difficult for Murrel to do without wider party involvement. 

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It might come down to whether the camper van was for personal use or included as legitimate party expenses. If it's about if money was illegally diverted from a ring fenced fund for a theoretical future referendum to general party expenses, it would be more challenging to prove wrongdoing I'd have thought, but also more damaging to the SNP as you'd think it would be difficult for Murrel to do without wider party involvement. 

If it is embezzlement, it will have nothing to do with where funds were directed within the SNP.

7 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Then why charge Murrell if they had more investigating to do?  Why not complete the investigation then charge him?

I question the length of time required.  Even if one part of the investigation branches into something else the process is still finite.

It reminds me of a public enquiry where it takes ten years to investigate something by which time the anger over the issue does not have the same intensity and the impetus to address the issue is greatly diminished.

Perhaps he was being set up as the patsy and further information has now emerged implicating the others. The way it's going with the party it might be five investigations shortly so you cant rush these things

25 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

If this is all over the f**king camper van than Scotland is completely done as a serious country (well, let's face it it hasn't been since 1707 and isn't even a country either:-(

19 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Probably because he's a dodgy chunt, like the rest of the SNP, should get your SNP logo back on your profile. IMO.

Thank you.

Better an SNP logo than some cock eyed bigot. 

On 09/09/2024 at 16:06, strichener said:

That's my understanding as well.

The irony is if Murrell had fessed up in the first place regards the use of the fundraising then Police Scotland wouldn't have uncovered the alleged embezzlement.

On 09/09/2024 at 19:30, CTQP1867 said:

If this is all over the f**king camper van than Scotland is completely done as a serious country (well, let's face it it hasn't been since 1707 and isn't even a country either:-(

This is like saying Partygate was about folk eating cake.

It's not about a camper van. It's about money. 

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

I don't think that sort of talk is necessary.

If it’s acceptable to accuse people of being peadophiles based on their looks maybe the poster in question can upload a photo of himself and we can all pass judgement.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

If it’s acceptable to accuse people of being peadophiles based on their looks maybe the poster in question can upload a photo of himself and we can all pass judgement.

Doubt if the keyboard warrior would agree, his obvious weak character prefers the anonymity.