Team of the Season

With only three games remaining, and most of the playoff positions etc seemingly decided, who would make your team of the season? 

Gk - Mehmet - An absolutely insane amount of clean sheets, while the defence in front of him have done a grand job protecting him, when he has been called upon he's normally been safe and assured. He's also fantastic at time wasting. 

RB - Comrie - One of the positions I've really struggled with, Ballantyne had a big reputation but hasn't had the best of seasons it seems and seems to have played left back recently? Smith-Rowe at Falkirk has looked good and I could understand his inclusion, in the end Comrie gets in account of being part of a defensive unit which has performed so well, while his attacking output could be better no opposition winger has had the better of him, very solid defensively. 

CB - Benedictus - Will sweep the player of the year awards at Dunfermline, I never anticipated him being such a great signing but he's been fantastic, I don't think he's missed a single league minute. 

CB - Donaldson - I'm quite a fan of his, a very good signing for Falkirk. 

LB - Edwards - The best LB in the league, a fantastic attacking outlet while also being v solid defensively. 

RM - Morrison - A  really good season from him, 12 goals and 7 assists from a wide position is some going! 

CM - Todd - What a season from the young man, 9 goals, many of them absolute stunners. 

CM - Frizzel - Airdrie have been v good when we've played them and Frizzel is normally at the centre that, it was fortunate for the rest of the league that he missed a few games through injury. 

LM - Ritchie-Hosler - I struggled allot with this pick, KRH is probably the best wide midfielder I've seen this season, however there might be a bit of recency bias with that, considered putting Gabby McGill here who I think had played a wide role? 

ST - Gallagher - My two picks will seem horrendously predictable here, I've just went for the two top scorers! 20 goals is a fantastic haul. The best part time striker in Scotland? 

ST - Paton - 19 goals for Paton and with him being out of contract you'd imagine he'll have a few interested parties. Honorable mention to Burrell who I think had the second best mpg, however McGlynn has preferred Oliver for good swathes of the season, thankfully. 

You'll always have biased towards your own players, and I'm sure the RB and LM position will have a few different picks, however the other 9 are set IMO. 

Given that Dunfermline are title winners, it would seem inevitable that the bulk of the team , would be much like your choices.

As we've still to complete the four games this Saturday, I'll hold off till then. However Gallagher has had a great season and Frizzel is a marvelous player. 

I’ve tried to pick based off games I’ve seen and opinions on here:

Mehmet
Taggart - Benedictus - Fontaine - Edwards
McGill - Matty Todd - Frizzell - Morrison
Gallagher - Paton

I don’t think Mehmet is that great but neither is anyone else and you can’t argue with that clean sheet record. 

Benedictus and Edwards both very easy picks at the back. I thought Rowe was excellent for Falkirk in the game at Airdrie in February but he was poor yesterday. Comrie and Craigen both contenders too but Taggart steady as ever all season. I think Coll Donaldson is a good player but he’s not been at his best against Airdrie whereas Liam Fontaine has looked imperious every time we’ve played Edinburgh. No Airdrie defenders in contention on principle after some of the goals we’ve conceded.

Morrison and Matty Todd both obvious picks in midfield. Gabby McGill’s form over the last few months edges him ahead of Ritchie-Hosler, who I have been very impressed by. I like Josh Todd at Queens but Frizzell edges it for the last midfield spot. 

John Robertson has had a great season but Gallagher and Paton are the obvious two here.

GK - Jay Hogarth - We beat them 4-0 and without him it would've been 10, very talented young goalkeeper with a great future ahead of him.

RB - Blaine Rowe - Was impressed with him in the 3-1 game, very good defensively and going forward, another player with a decent future ahead of him.

CB - Kyle Benedictus - Key player for the Pars winning the league and an excellent defender for league 1. Will have him as Captain in the team of the season.

CB - Liam Fontaine - Looked class in the games against us, very good in the air and just a solid centre half for league 1.

LB - Josh Edwards - Was the best player on the park against us in the games at East End, caused Ballantyne problems and has a belter of a long throw.

CM - Liam Henderson - Looked very good in the defensive midfield role for Falkirk.

CM - Matty Todd - 9 goals for a centre mid is excellent and scored an excellent goal in the 4-3 win over ourselves.

CM - Adam Frizzell - On his day he's just quality and a joy to watch, scored some excellent goals this season and is one of our most vital players.

FWD - Ruari Paton - 2nd top scorer so have to put him there.

FWD - Gabby McGill - Since coming back from his injury he's been fantastic, his work rate, his goals and goals contribution has been a big part of our excellent form recently.

FWD - Calum Gallagher - Best striker in league 1, always been a consistent goal scorer but he's having the season of his life, his goals, link up play and goal contributions have been incredible this season

4 minutes ago, Mr November said:

@David Fernández Hogarth is a great shout actually, been really impressed by him every time we’ve played Alloa. He’s not the biggest but he looks very good for his age and stopped both of the games in Airdrie being won by even bigger margins.

Was considering Mehmet but when he played us his kicking was very suspect and I wasn't that impressed by him, but he might've had an off day and as it's been pointed out, the clean sheet record speaks for itself. Also was close between Morrison and McGill but since I love Gabby and I'm biased, he makes the team. 

15 minutes ago, Mr November said:

@David Fernández Hogarth is a great shout actually, been really impressed by him every time we’ve played Alloa. He’s not the biggest but he looks very good for his age and stopped both of the games in Airdrie being won by even bigger margins.

I think Hogarth is a talented young keeper and he has done well for us. I expect he'll be loaned out to a Championship team next season to continue his development.

Good also to see Scott Taggart getting some recognition. Tbh he's hardly had a bad game in the seven years he's been at the Indodrill, very much Mr Consistency. The irony of him being chosen at right back won't be lost on some Alloa fans.

I always find it difficult to select a team of the year, given we only see each other team in four league games maximum a season.

Dunfermline have comfortably despatched us three times already for the loss of no goals, yet none of their players has really stood out, with the exception of Bene - surely the signing of the season?

Paton at QotS is the other individual I'd pick out. Gallagher and Morrison also caused us lots of problems. I like McGinn as well.

GK - Deniz Mehmet - not one I thought would be in this discussion at the start of the season but the number of clean sheets speaks for itself. Also don’t think he’s missed a minute of a season where it feels like there’s been an inordinately high number of different goalkeepers used. 

RB - Aaron Comrie - really impressed with his games against us including scoring a good goal at the Recs. 

CB - Kyle Benedictus - 3/3 for the Pars so far, absolutely strolled the games against us as it appears he did for most of the season. An absolute leader on the pitch and probably my pick for POTY. 

CB - Sean Dillon - bossed his games against us and his battle with fellow Irishman Conor Sammon in the first meeting was an absolute classic tussle. Was surprised with his ability on the ball in the 2nd game with us, was the man starting everything and driving Montrose forward. 

LB - Daniel Church - going with a bit of a homer pick with Churchy as Josh Edwards is the obvious pick, but he has been a revelation for us this season. His 2 goals and 6 assists in 26 games shades Edwards 2 & 5 in 32 so will use that as the excuse for picking him! A player I wouldn’t have re-signed last summer, went from losing his place at the start of the season (despite being the only left back at the club) to becoming one of the first names on the team sheet. 

RM - Calum Morrison - for me he has the ability to be one of the best players in League 1 and is always a threat against us. His pace is frightening and although his final decision making has been a bit questionable in the past, seems to have been far more consistent this season. 

CM - Iain Wilson - wanted a more defensive midfielder so going with Wilson over the more attacking Frizzell (who has also been excellent) although both have had injuries that have affected their seasons. Oozes class in the middle of the park and always seems to be in the right place at the right time. 

CM - Matty Todd - only 21 but looks an incredible talent who has also chipped in with goals. Would probably be the only player I would say could usurp Benedictus in my league POTY vote. 

LM - Gabby McGill - probably played more through the middle or on the right but his 13 goals and 8 assists have to get him in my team. His goals were right at the heart of Airdrie’s phenomenal goal scoring run. 

CF - Ruari Paton - should have scored a lot more than the 3 goals he got against us this season, looks an absolute handful for defenders to deal with. Be interesting where he ends up next year. 

CF - Callum Gallagher - always seems to score against Alloa and, to be fair, pretty much everyone else this season. Always regarded him as a bit of a tap in merchant hanging about the 6 yard box but his work rate and link up outside the area this year caught my eye. 

Edited by Kevchenko

8 minutes ago, printer said:

with the exception of Bene - surely the signing of the season?

Picked him as our POTY in the online vote. Absolute colossus at the back. Matty Todd has also been tremendous. Scored a couple belters against you guys this season too.

KRH is a stand out but only came on to a game in the second half of the season. Craig Wighton is the same second half of the season. Best all round striker in the league in my biased opinion.

44 minutes ago, printer said:

Good also to see Scott Taggart getting some recognition. Tbh he's hardly had a bad game in the seven years he's been at the Indodrill, very much Mr Consistency. The irony of him being chosen at right back won't be lost on some Alloa fans.

I thought putting him there was more appropriate, even if Brian Rice prefers Kevin Cawley in there :lol: 

I'll revisit this after the play offs, the only position I'm struggling on is right back as there really hasn't been a stand out for me. Rowe's been a big improvement on anything we've had the last few seasons but for all the time he's spent bombing down the line he hasn't had one assist.

One of the side effects of being beaten in straightforward fashion by everyone nearly every week, is that very few opposition players actually stand out. Usually there will be a goalie or two who deny you a win but that's not really been the case, and we've certainly not tested any centre halves. To make it harder, the all conquering league leaders have been largely garbage in the three games against Clyde.  

I would have Josh Edwards, John Robertson, Rhys McCabe and Scott Taggart in there for certain. Luke Donnelly as well actually. McGinn if the game is being played in Falkirk, not so much if it's in Hamilton. 

Airdrie have scored 12 goals against us and Gallagher hasn't scored any of them.

Robertson would be my overall player of the year. Quiet yesterday, but he's scoring three stunning goals in each of the other matches against Clyde.

Edited by David W

1 hour ago, Kevchenko said:

GK - Deniz Mehmet - not one I thought would be in this discussion at the start of the season but the number of clean sheets speaks for itself. Also don’t think he’s missed a minute of a season where it feels like there’s been an inordinately high number of different goalkeepers used. 

RB - Aaron Comrie - really impressed with his games against us including scoring a good goal at the Recs. 

CB - Kyle Benedictus - 3/3 for the Pars so far, absolutely strolled the games against us as it appears he did for most of the season. An absolute leader on the pitch and probably my pick for POTY. 

CB - Sean Dillon - bossed his games against us and his battle with fellow Irishman Conor Sammon in the first meeting was an absolute classic tussle. Was surprised with his ability on the ball in the 2nd game with us, was the man starting everything and driving Montrose forward. 

LB - Daniel Church - going with a bit of a homer pick with Churchy as Josh Edwards is the obvious pick, but he has been a revelation for us this season. His 2 goals and 6 assists in 26 games shades Edwards 2 & 5 in 32 so will use that as the excuse for picking him! A player I wouldn’t have re-signed last summer, went from losing his place at the start of the season (despite being the only left back at the club) to becoming one of the first names on the team sheet. 

RM - Calum Morrison - for me he has the ability to be one of the best players in League 1 and is always a threat against us. His pace is frightening and although his final decision making has been a bit questionable in the past, seems to have been far more consistent this season. 

CM - Iain Wilson - wanted a more defensive midfielder so going with Wilson over the more attacking Frizzell (who has also been excellent) although both have had injuries that have affected their seasons. Oozes class in the middle of the park and always seems to be in the right place at the right time. 

CM - Matty Todd - only 21 but looks an incredible talent who has also chipped in with goals. Would probably be the only player I would say could usurp Benedictus in my league POTY vote. 

LM - Gabby McGill - probably played more through the middle or on the right but his 13 goals and 8 assists have to get him in my team. His goals were right at the heart of Airdrie’s phenomenal goal scoring run. 

CF - Ruari Paton - should have scored a lot more than the 3 goals he got against us this season, looks an absolute handful for defenders to deal with. Be interesting where he ends up next year. 

CF - Callum Gallagher - always seems to score against Alloa and, to be fair, pretty much everyone else this season. Always regarded him as a bit of a tap in merchant hanging about the 6 yard box but his work rate and link up outside the area this year caught my eye. 

Glad to see Dillon get a mention. He's been excellent for us this season. Despite his age, he's only missed a couple of games. Not sure if we'll get another season out of him but he'll be hard to replace.

Just from what I’ve seen, with obvious bias…

Mehmet

Ballantyne-Donaldson-Benedictus-Edwards

KRH-Matty Todd-Frizzell-Morrison

Paton-Gallagher

Matty Todd overall POTY. Boy has been a complete joke this season  

15 minutes ago, Chubbychops said:

Wighton is the best striker in this league in all honesty. If he was fit in the early part of the season he would have another 7-8 goals on his tally.

Some talent with the ball at his feet.

Wighton is the best striker in the league in my opinion too.

Has he played enough games to make the team of the season?

Genuine question,

For me, in these sort of things, and particularly where one team has dominated the league, you start with their first 11 then think which players have been good enough elsewhere to improve them. 

Who else would get in the Pars eleven? At least one of Paton and Gallagher up top. Maybe both but I'd have Wighton.

Going by reviews Frizzell likely but he's not done much against us. 

Anyone else really stood out enough to play for Dunfermline? 

From our point of view outside of Paton, I'd throw Dabrowski in the mix who has been very good but only signed in January so probably hasnt played enough. Jack Brydon's been very good since signing at the same time too and played first half of the season with Edinburgh but dont think he played every week with them.