Conference League Good Guys List

Ray Patterson

1 minute ago, Cowdenleith said:

I think it was essentially seen as the ‘least worst option’ for 2023/24, not a statement on the club’s position on B teams in general (as Cowden voted against them for 22/23).

If the consensus by most on here that any threat of forcing the Conference for 23/24 was hollow, then what would happen to the huge squads of old firm b players for 23/24 if booted out and the LL? There appears to be no appetite for a reserve league, so if they had been voted out the LL then a bunch of players with nowhere to play.  

Which is exactly what the SFA said could not happen, and we are at stalemate.

I'm sure these poor boys would find clubs, as they always do when the OF inevitably release them when they hit 23. 

This thread should be about recognising clubs who are putting their heads above the parapet and rejecting the conference proposal, not having a go at the ten Lowland League clubs who for whatever reason voted for another season of B-clubs in their league, that's another issue, and primarily affects only them. The shame is how few Lowland League clubs have so far said a word about the conference and we need a powerful and united voice to start persuading the SPFL clubs as well that it's an unfair, destructive and terrible idea for Scottish Football. And there's only about a month before the SFA AGM. 

7 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

I think it was essentially seen as the ‘least worst option’ for 2023/24, not a statement on the club’s position on B teams in general (as Cowden voted against them for 22/23).

If the consensus by most on here that any threat of forcing the Conference for 23/24 was hollow, then what would happen to the huge squads of old firm b players for 23/24 if booted out and the LL? There appears to be no appetite for a reserve league, so if they had been voted out the LL then a bunch of players with nowhere to play.  

They may not have wanted to join a reserve league, but it exists and if the LL boot them out then that is where they go.  It seems to suit Hibs, supplemented by friendlies against decent English opposition.

9 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

It was a CFC meeting - info for Cowden supporters.  There was a whole range of factors touched on and no need to provide an extended analysis on here.  

‘We held a meeting, it was round at my grand bit, you wouldnt understand’ type post. 

43 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

This thread should be about recognising clubs who are putting their heads above the parapet and rejecting the conference proposal, not having a go at the ten Lowland League clubs who for whatever reason voted for another season of B-clubs in their league, that's another issue, and primarily affects only them. The shame is how few Lowland League clubs have so far said a word about the conference and we need a powerful and united voice to start persuading the SPFL clubs as well that it's an unfair, destructive and terrible idea for Scottish Football. And there's only about a month before the SFA AGM. 

Nah disagree completely, these clubs opened pandoras box. The LL clubs who voted to allow the bigot brothers into tier 5 jumping hundreds of other clubs for 12 pieces of silver deserve all the criticism going. They legitimised this shite in the eyes of the SFA and should never be allowed to forget it. Even when the vanity projects that voted for it with no fans fade into nothing that should be their legacy. 

47 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Agreed, the LL vote has happened. Clubs like Cowdenbeath (and all others!) should be encouraged to make a statement against the Conference League. Hopefully they will come out against it.

Just now, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

‘We held a meeting, it was round at my grand bit, you wouldnt understand’ type post. 

Nah disagree completely, these clubs opened pandoras box. The LL clubs who voted to allow the bigot brothers into tier 5 jumping hundreds of other clubs for 12 pieces of silver deserve all the criticism going. They legitimised this shite in the eyes of the SFA and should never be allowed to forget it. Even when the vanity projects that voted for it with no fans fade into nothing that should be their legacy. 

I'm as against B-teams in the LL as almost anyone is. But let's focus this thread on opposition to the Conference League rather than derailing it by discussing what happened before. That can be discussed in the appropriate "B-teams in the LL" thread.

9 hours ago, Only coo in the village said:

This has just turned into an anti Cowdenbeath thread. 
The club hasn’t stated any support towards the proposed Conference league. 
They did ( wrongly in my opinion )  vote for the B teams to be included in next seasons LL AS did another 9 clubs. I don’t see any of them being singled out for criticism and a pile on. 
Carry on with your rage though peeps ;) 

I don't know what the feck is going on here.
Whoever is dumb enough to think the two issues are the same seriously need to work on their own head.
A lowland league club voting for the 3 B teams to be included in the Lowland league season 23/24 is nothing compared to any Lowland league club voting for the conference.
Two totally different issues, In fact 3 different issues if you include the voting of relegation

1. Any lowland team voting for B teams to be included in the 23/24 season are just in it for greed, to make extra money, (Cowdenbeath I believe are one of those)
2 Any lowland club who are for the conference are total scum and do they do it with the full support of their fans, i bet not.
3. Any lowland club who votes against opening up relegation from the Lowland league are only interested in self preservation and know they are damaging the Pyramid system from being fair and equal.

To the dafties on here, right now I don't give a shit about any lowland team voting for 3 B teams in for season 23/24
The biggest issue is the new conference league and that must be stopped at all costs
the next issue after that is the opening up of relegation from the lowland and promotion to the Lowland.
One club stated at the league meeting that the relegation question should not be brought up again until the SPFL 2 open up their relegation, (Dumb ass fecks) and another club seconded that.

Don't they understand that once they do get relegated they will be in the wilderness for years as whatever lowland league team that gets relegated, they will find it hard to get back up from the EOSFL or the WOSFL and even if they are in the SOSFL, they will find it hard to win the playoff, I believe Dalbeattie will prove me right.
The Lowland league should open up relegation and put pressure on the SPFL2 that proves that the SPFL2 are the only league that is stopping Scottish Football from growing, flourishing and being fair and equal.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

1 hour ago, Cowdenleith said:

There already is a reserve league, several Premiership clubs play in it.

27 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There already is a reserve league, several Premiership clubs play in it.

Yeah, about half the Premiership teams are in it from memory. It’s clearly not good enough for our masters from the old firm, and their wee pals from Tynecastle.

48 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Whoever is dumb enough to think the two issues are the same seriously need to work on their own head.
A lowland league club voting for the 3 B teams to be included in the Lowland league season 23/24 is nothing compared to any Lowland league club voting for the conference.
Two totally different issues, In fact 3 different issues if you include the voting of relegation

1. Any lowland team voting for B teams to be included in the 23/24 season are just in it for greed, to make extra money, (Cowdenbeath I believe are one of those)
2 Any lowland club who are for the conference are total scum and do they do it with the full support of their fans, i bet not.
3. Any lowland club who votes against opening up relegation from the Lowland league are only interested in self preservation and know they are damaging the Pyramid system from being fair and equal.

To the dafties on here, right now I don't give a shit about any lowland team voting B teams in for season 23.
The biggest issue is the new conference league and that must be stopped at all costs
the next issue after that is the opening up of relegation form the lowland and promotion to the Lowland>
one clubs stated at the league meeting that the relegation question should not be brought up again until the SPFL 2 open up their relegation, (Dumb ass fecks) and another club seconded that.

Don't they understand that once they do get relegated they will be in the wilderness for years as whatever lowland league team is that gets relegated they will find it hard to get back up from the EOSFL or the WOSFL and even if they are in the SOSFL, they will find it hard to win the playoff, I believe Dalbeattie will prove me right.
They should open up relegation and put pressure on the SPFL2 that they are the only league that is stopping Scottish Football form flourishing and being fair.

Oooh, you sound like a real hard man, from behind your keyboard. 

2 minutes ago, Cowdenleith said:

Oooh, you sound like a real hard man, from behind your keyboard. 

Honestly you just haven't a clue
Reading your posts there's definitely only one troll i see ffs
ffs if Cowdenbeath are embarrassed about voting B teams in season 23/24, they are probably more embarrassed with your posts on here lolol  🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Totally accept that conservatism for it's own sake is not productive. But neither is just saying 'X country does this, so should we'.

When you say things like 'poor', 'weaken', 'better', what do you actually mean? Are you saying that Scotland currently has a poorer league system than all of the countries you mention above? If so, what are you basing that on and why do you think mirroring their structure would bring about an improvement? I'm not asking for some PhD thesis, just some justification for how you're getting from A - 'the Scottish league system is poorer than countries who have a wider pyramid structure' to B - 'the Scottish league would become better by intoducing increased regionalisation further up the structure'.

I'd like to see a change to our league structure but you have to take context and geography into account.

Spain, France, Poland, and Germany are much larger than Scotland geographically and in terms of population. I'm not sure they should be the best blueprint for Scotland.

Take Norway and Croatia. Norway has 32 clubs playing in national leagues (top two tiers). Only 10 fewer than Scotland. Do you think that's a truly significant difference? Do games in the Norwegian second tier represent "best vs best" in a way that games in Scottish Leagues One and Two don't? Then we've got geography. Norway is much larger than Scotland. The distances involved are vast compared to here. The average travelling distance for even a Norwegian regionalised league will be larger than a national Scottish league. Then we've got club size. The lowest attendeces in the Norweigin second tier is just over 500. Not far off Scottish League Two. So roughly speaking, Norway regionalises at around the same 'size' of club as Scotland does but also still asks clubs to travel much, much larger distances, on average. If you combined the four national Scottish leagues into 2 tiers, the top 3 tiers would actually look remarkably similar. So why do you think the Norwegian model is better than the Scottish?

The Croatian league has 38 clubs playing in national leagues - a whopping 4 fewer than Scotland. The average attendence in the second tier is just 362 - lower than tier 4 in Scotland. So in terms of size of clubs and resources, the Croatian system has much smaller clubs than Scotland playing at a national level. The average attendence of the lowest national level - tier 3 - is just 247. Given Croatia's geography and populaiton distribution, average distances travelled are probably comparable to those in Scotland.

So by what metrics do you think the Norwegian or Croatian league systems are better than the Scottish one and how are you attributing that to the extent of regionalisation? Given that Croatia has much smaller clubs playing at a national level and travel, for equivalently sized clubs, is far greater in Norway than it is in Scotland.

A fantastic post, but wasted, I fear, on our resident "Furrin=guid, Sco'ish=rubbidge" poster.

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

To the dafties on here, right now I don't give a shit about any lowland team voting B teams in for season 23.
the next issue after that is the opening up of relegation form the lowland and promotion to the Lowland>
one clubs stated at the league meeting that the relegation question should not be brought up again until the SPFL 2 open up their relegation, (Dumb ass fecks) and another club seconded that.

Don't they understand that once they do get relegated they will be in the wilderness for years as whatever lowland league team is that gets relegated they will find it hard to get back up from the EOSFL or the WOSFL and even if they are in the SOSFL, they will find it hard to win the playoff, I believe Dalbeattie will prove me right.
They should open up relegation and put pressure on the SPFL2 that they are the only league that is stopping Scottish Football from flourishing and being fair.

I completely agree with most things that you say here. I disagree 100% with Cowden voting for the inclusion of B teams for the coming season. They voted against it last year and I don’t understand the blackmail reasoning given  for voting for it this time. It’s hardly going to pay us a fortune by having them in the LL either though and I will never attend games against any of the B teams, never have and never will. 
Being in favour of the Conference League is an entirely different issue. Cowdenbeath have never given a position on this issue and any LL team in favour of this would be beyond stupid. It’s relegating themselves down another tier and introducing a farcical league with 4 reserve teams who can neither be promoted or relegated ( at first of course ).

Seeing as we are the boo boys, can we please have the names of the other 9 Lowland League teams who voted for the B teams to be admitted next season. Then you can all rage at them as well. Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, Cowdenleith said:

Yeah, about half the Premiership teams are in it from memory. It’s clearly not good enough for our masters from the old firm, and their wee pals from Tynecastle.

But the "bunch of players" would have had somewhere to play, so the concern about how these poor souls would cope without the Lowland League is misplaced.

1 minute ago, Only coo in the village said:

I completely agree with most things that you say here. I disagree 100% with Cowden voting for the inclusion of B teams for the coming season. They voted against it last year and I don’t understand the blackmail reasoning given  for voting for it this time. It’s hardly going to pay us a fortune by having them in the LL either though and I will never attend games against any of the B teams, never have and never will. 
Being in favour of the Conference League is an entirely different issue. Cowdenbeath have never given a position on this issue and any LL team in favour of this would be beyond stupid. It’s relegating themselves down another tier and introducing a farcical league with 4 reserve teams who can neither be promoted or relegated ( at first of course ).

Seeing as we are the boo boys, can we please have the names of the other 9 Lowland League teams who voted for the B teams to be admitted next season. Then you can all rage at them as well. Thanks in advance. 

Yeah the blackmailing, i believe this from the gossip we hear that the SFA trying it on with Lowland teams, "get the conference in or else".
if true, ffs lowland, have the balls to say, "get stuffed", although we know that Thomas brown the Lowland Chairman has been convinced to say yes or was he passed a sweetener to say the same
This season which is ending, Thomas Brown said it worked out at £120,000 shared between 16 teams which made each team £7500 and he said it will be more likely the same for season 23/24, either the teams get £7500 again or the money will go towards the referee fees which is said was about £136,000.

there is nothing that will benefit Lowland League teams if the conference comes in. Everyone from tier 5 down should be against this without doubt.

The majority of Cowedenbeath fans are hilarious. Everyone knows everyone so they're so unwilling to put the boot in.

The Foreign Minister for Iraq @NELLY 1 prentending everything is  O.K. while the passive agressive @Cowden Cowboy can't understand why people don't trust the judgement of a bunch of losers who have overseen a club playing 3 divisions below they were a decade ago. You love to see it!

3 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yeah the blackmailing, i believe this from the gossip we hear that the SFA trying it on with Lowland teams, "get the conference in or else".
if true, ffs lowland, have the balls to say, "get stuffed", although we know that Thomas brown the Lowland Chairman has been convinced to say yes or was he passed a sweetener to say the same
This season which is ending, Thomas Brown said it worked out at £120,000 shared between 16 teams which made each team £7500 and he said it will be more likely the same for season 23/24, either the teams get £7500 again or the money will go towards the referee fees which is said was about £136,000.

there is nothing that will benefit Lowland League teams if the conference comes in. Everyone from tier 5 down should be against this without doubt.

You are spot on mate. Tell them to GTF. If this Conference league ever happens then I am finished with football. I have absolute faith that the Cowdenbeath board will want no part in this nonsense. I’ve supported the club for over 45 years , through many horrible seasons and a few amazing ones. The club is trying to launch a new fans trust to ensure the future of our club and if they did have any part in enabling this utter nonsense, then it’s game over as far as I am concerned. Everyone needs to take a stand against this ludicrous proposal. 

16 minutes ago, Only coo in the village said:

This is the Conference League Good Guys List thread, you want the badly named Celtic and Rangers B Teams in League Two thread for that pish.