The Hamilton Accies League 1 thread

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Stuart Taylor is apparently about to become our assistant manager - what was the script with him at you lot?

Excuse from the board that he was emptied because a 6th place finish wasn’t good enough and/or he was being paid Premiership wages.

Both were clearly lies and it was just that his face didn’t fit with Colin McGowan.

Solicitors were involved when he left so his pay outs from us must be finished if he is taking on new work.

Would've likely kept us up this season as he could atleast set a team up to a semi decent standard unlike his successor.

ETA: He is probably the definition of an ‘experienced number two’ which is what Docherty will badly need.

Edited by Scotty Tunbridge

Perhaps naïvely I'm looking forward to next season. Since Alex Neil left we've struggled to win games and it's entirely draining. I expected us to struggle in the Championship with the squad and manager we had and so it proved, but I do feel we have now fallen to a level where we can be competitive.

I'd much rather be competitive and win games against Alloa or QotS than constantly trying to grind out 0-0s v Hearts and Aberdeen by playing shite defensive football. The novelty of that wears off after time.

I think next year will be refreshing.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Perhaps naïvely I'm looking forward to next season. Since Alex Neil left we've struggled to win games and it's entirely draining. I expected us to struggle in the Championship with the squad and manager we had and so it proved, but I do feel we have now fallen to a level where we can be competitive.

I'd much rather be competitive and win games against Alloa or QotS than constantly trying to grind out 0-0s v Hearts and Aberdeen by playing shite defensive football. The novelty of that wears off after time.

I think next year will be refreshing.

We said the same about the Championship. 

On 07/06/2023 at 13:11, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Excuse from the board that he was emptied because a 6th place finish wasn’t good enough and/or he was being paid Premiership wages.

Both were clearly lies and it was just that his face didn’t fit with Colin McGowan.

Solicitors were involved when he left so his pay outs from us must be finished if he is taking on new work.

Would've likely kept us up this season as he could atleast set a team up to a semi decent standard unlike his successor.

ETA: He is probably the definition of an ‘experienced number two’ which is what Docherty will badly need.

Taylor was rotten as well. Didnt know the names of the u18s as never went to see them. Never watched teams before we played them hence we lost at Auchinleck and he didnt know Partick were playing on a Friday the week before we played them. A well known Accies stalwart who may or may not also work for Uefa said he knew Taylor was a mistake 2 weeks after he got the job. What he said he would do and what he actually did were 2 different things.

I didn't like Taylor's attitude, but I'm not convinced about a couple of those points. He didn't tend to bother with the u18s - mostly because that lot were supposedly shite - but did chuck some on the bench very occasionally (Nicolson, McGowan, McGinn, Newbury), and he did make opposition-specific tactical tweaks every so often so clearly had to watch them to consider those changes. I wouldn't be surprised if he never watched them in person though which would still be poor from him. 

On 05/06/2023 at 14:01, 19QOS19 said:

Haven't shared a league with Accies for years so haven't paid much attention so what has went wrong there? Always seemed like a well run club to me. 

Eh? We were in the same league the season before last.

3 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

Club still not said a peep about relegation but now want £260 for a season ticket.

£14-something per game.

Assuming Accies are keeping PATG price at £20 then which is steep for League 1 games.

Miss more than 5 home games & a ST isn't worth your bother.

I'll be waiting to see what's happening with the squad before I part with my money for a 22nd year in a row.

Club have a cheek after being relegated to be putting out ST promotional media when the fans still don't know exactly who's left the club & we haven't made/announced a single signing.

2 hours ago, cdhafc1874 said:

£14-something per game.

Assuming Accies are keeping PATG price at £20 then which is steep for League 1 games.

Miss more than 5 home games & a ST isn't worth your bother.

I'll be waiting to see what's happening with the squad before I part with my money for a 22nd year in a row.

Club have a cheek after being relegated to be putting out ST promotional media when the fans still don't know exactly who's left the club & we haven't made/announced a single signing.

And you had to put up the League cup dates because our social media is so incompetent. I suppose we should be grateful they managed to switch on their laptop.

26 minutes ago, FuzzyBear said:

Very sad to hear Sir Adrian Sprott has died aged just 61. His goal at Ibrox was one of best moments watching Accies.

Started at Meadowbank Thistle and was signed by Accies. He came back in a player swap for Dave Roseburgh IIRC.

In his second spell somebody at Meadowbank used to shout regularly "Get Sprott off!". Except the one game when he was a sub at the shout heard was "Get Sprott ON!" Cue general bemusement...

Went off to that home for retired Meadowbank players, Ochilview, where he did well and played in the other cup shock of his career, Stenhousemuir 2 Aberdeen 0

Really shocked to hear of Aiders passing. I was there that day. We all seemed to rise out our seats in slow motion, couldn't quite believe it. We were same division as them but world's apart at the same time. For some reason I recall a great goal he scored in a home defeat or draw maybe v QoS, a right foot curler from the edge of the box. He was two footed and we never knew! Swapping him for Roseburgh, I mean, who on earth thought that was a good idea? Lambie, hero and villain.

12 hours ago, Kempes said:

New owner pending…hope it’s positive news for the Accies.

Likely Seref Zengin.

Pals with Colin McGowan & the stadium isn't included - McGowan intends to keep ownership of NDP.

So not likely to be any real change.

14 hours ago, Kempes said:

New owner pending…hope it’s positive news for the Accies.

Hopefully has deep pockets given the latest club statement is still talking about staying full-time.

https://hamiltonacciesfc.co.uk/statement-by-the-board-of-directors-hamilton-academical-football-club/

...The potential new owners have been working with the Board to ensure that everything is in place for the new 2023/24 campaign, talks are ongoing with existing players, their agents and potential new signings, and information should start to flow through in due course.

We have appointed a new media officer, who will take control of all social media communications.

At this point we are able to report that Hamilton Accies will remain a full time football club, with our Elite Youth Academy fully protected...