2023/24 New Season New Hope.

9 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Read this on Mids facebook and gotta say makes my blood boil.

"MIDS entertained Lesmahagow FC in the South Regional Challenge Cup at a rain saturated New King Edward Park on Friday evening and despite the weather a sizeable crowd witnessed an entertaining match.
MIDS continued with their recent form improvement by giving their higher ranked opponents a decent test"

'higher ranked opponents'

Never, ever enter a game with the attitude that any team is better than you. I come across this attitude in the SOSFL too many times. I know of teams in the lower reaches of the WOSFL who were defeated by teams in higher divisions who had team meetings at the end of Saturday's games thrashing out what went wrong.

I may be in a minority down here but I expect every SOSFL team to go out with the attitude they are going to win. To be fair I am seeing this more regularly from Creetown and NS.  No matter the opposite will be expecting good results from Vale, NS & Creetown in Round 3 of SRCC and Star in SC Rd 1.

I make no apologies for this attitude. Its how I played, even though I was crap, and it's how I coached.

You're letting yourself get worked up by what one person wrote in a match report, that's basically it.

I know a few of the Mids players from their time at Queens youths, reserves and first team, unless they have changed, be assured that those lads minset wouldn't have been negative before the game.

I don't disagree that there might be teams that have the wrong attitude, but not sure pointing the finger at Mids because of one persons match report was the right way to go about it.

10 hours ago, outsider said:

You're letting yourself get worked up by what one person wrote in a match report, that's basically it.

I know a few of the Mids players from their time at Queens youths, reserves and first team, unless they have changed, be assured that those lads minset wouldn't have been negative before the game.

I don't disagree that there might be teams that have the wrong attitude, but not sure pointing the finger at Mids because of one persons match report was the right way to go about it.

Wasn't my intention to have a go at a particular club, more about a mindset that can prevail in the SOS. I would like to believe that the players and management were irked by the comment 'higher ranked opponent'. Just because a team plays in another league setup does not mean they are better by default.

I don't know much about Mids and have only seen them play away over here in the West a few times. Beaten on each occasion but never outplayed to the point of embarrassment.

I do find it disappointing at times, the easy acceptance from some in the South about some of the cup defeats. l have seen a fair bit of NS & Creetown this season and was pleased with the reaction after the Scottish Cup defeats and in Creetown's case felt this was a factor in their extra time win on Saturday. Definitely an attitude of 'won't let this one slip away from us'.

Anyways enjoying my fitba down here and will continue to get around the grounds as and when I can.

On 18/09/2023 at 13:09, HorseyGhirl said:

Read this on Mids facebook and gotta say makes my blood boil.

"MIDS entertained Lesmahagow FC in the South Regional Challenge Cup at a rain saturated New King Edward Park on Friday evening and despite the weather a sizeable crowd witnessed an entertaining match.
MIDS continued with their recent form improvement by giving their higher ranked opponents a decent test"

'higher ranked opponents'

Never, ever enter a game with the attitude that any team is better than you. I come across this attitude in the SOSFL too many times. I know of teams in the lower reaches of the WOSFL who were defeated by teams in higher divisions who had team meetings at the end of Saturday's games thrashing out what went wrong.

I may be in a minority down here but I expect every SOSFL team to go out with the attitude they are going to win. To be fair I am seeing this more regularly from Creetown and NS.  No matter the opposite will be expecting good results from Vale, NS & Creetown in Round 3 of SRCC and Star in SC Rd 1.

I make no apologies for this attitude. Its how I played, even though I was crap, and it's how I coached.

This is something you should take up directly with the Author as opposed to the Mids players or coaching staff, which I’m positive dont share the same opinion. 

Almost a full league program after weeks of cup ties. Star say on their travels to Pitmedden leaving W&B to sit on the shelf on their own.

Vale, NW and Lochar will be looking for 3pts to keep pressure on clubs above. Uppers & Stranraer be looking to create a bit of space between themselves and the bottom.

Castle Cary Park hosts the top two both looking to enhance their title ambitions.

SATURDAY 23 SEPTEMBER 2023

SOUTH OF SCOTLAND LEAGUE

14:00
Abbey Vale
vs
Lochmaben
Creetown
vs
Newton Stewart
Dalbeattie Star
P - P
Wigtown & Bladnoch
Match postponed due to clash with Scottish Cup fixture
Lochar Thistle
vs
Mid Annandale
St Cuthbert Wanderers
vs
Nithsdale Wanderers
Upper Annandale
vs
Stranraer

Was in Kirkcudbright today for the game vs Nithsdale Wanderers. 

Another ground ticked off sort of thing.

Nithsdale deserved to win but not by 3.........

Saints had more than enough of the ball but were wasteful in the final third,chance after chance went to waste.

Nithsdale just a bit more streetwise against a young Saints side.

Ps the melt of a centre half who came on at half time for Nithsdale needs tae take a look at himself, roaring at a wee laddie...."shut it speccy" then putting 3 fingers up to display the score,then telling the lad tae shoosh,finger up tae his mouth  🤨

The wee boy showed more maturity than that clown !!

Edited by Dav nan Gael

18 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Wee bit of a gap developing between top 6 and bottom 6.

IMG_20230923_211251.thumb.jpg.eea58895c791e1eee8caa81ad60bcd05.jpg

That’s your top 6/bottom 6 for the rest of the season. There will be the odd result where a bottom half team beats the top half. But quality difference split this year with how the table is looking already. Any of that top 6 can win the league, will just come down to consistency. 

9 minutes ago, Jamie92 said:

That’s your top 6/bottom 6 for the rest of the season. There will be the odd result where a bottom half team beats the top half. But quality difference split this year with how the table is looking already. Any of that top 6 can win the league, will just come down to consistency. 

Totally agree the gap between the top half and bottom half is very noticeable at games. Saints worked hard against Nithsdale yesterday but was only going to be one result. Same at other games been to around the league.

Full league programme this Saturday to look forward to.

20230925_133407.thumb.jpg.9ec06a5ea1382a78f43f8b55558c5654.jpg

All 3 Wigtownshire clubs at home. Recall on first Sept Sat all 3 Annandale clubs at home. Is it not possible to avoid this scenario to maximise potential footfall? i.e. folk like me who don't follow one club and like to move around the grounds.

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, MrFizz said:

Wigtown not played an away league game yet? Whats going on there? Just a quirk of postponements or something?

According to https://scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com/tier-6-south-of-scotland-23-24/south-of-scotland-league-23-24/

12/08 at Abbey Vale postponed due to Scottish Cup

23/09 at Dalbeattie Star postponed due to Scottish Cup

28/10 at Newton Stewart postponed due to Potts Cup