Group B: Dundee United, Partick Thistle, Falkirk, Peterhead, Spartans

On 19/07/2023 at 13:26, realmadrid said:

if ive worked this out right they can still win the group but its the longest of long shots

Firstly United need to win both remaining games which takes them to 6 points and if they win well a good goal difference

Partick Thistle would need to lose to The Spartans and draw with Falkirk but lose the shoot out so finish on 6 points

Falkirk win the shoot out with Thistle but having lost to United would also lose a shoot out to Peterhead and finish on 6 points

The Spartans have beat Thistle in this set up but lose to Peterhead so finish on 6 points

Peterhead lose to United beat Spartans and win the shoot out with Falkirk so also end on 6 points

if any one of these matches goes another way thats it as far as i can see for United.

Part 1 ✔️
Part 2 ✔️

Falkirk can probably feel hard done by today - I thought they were comfortably the better team. Agyeman was really good. A bit disappointing that we didn’t test the useless wee keeper they had, but even still we were miles off it.

A bad day at the office in general, but particularly for Harry Milne who had an all-time stinker of a performance today. Considering how great he’s been for us, that was astoundingly bad.

Hope the wee Bairns with their “Falkirk Fear Yoof” flag who were constantly singing in the pub about Norrie McCathie being in a box have a miserable weekend.

Falkirk deserved that. By far the better side. The big no 11 was a bloody handful and if he stays fit I fancy Falkirk to finally get out the seaside leagues. Not many pass marks for us. Thought Williams was solid enough.. Lyons was excellent when he came on, that’s just about it. We badly need some players in…..and quick!! Still undefeated this season though…..over the 90 minutes. Good crowd through from Falkirk!

Edited by Sting777

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Falkirk can probably feel hard done by today - I thought they were comfortably the better team. Agyeman was really good. A bit disappointing that we didn’t test the useless wee keeper they had, but even still we were miles off it.

A bad day at the office in general, but particularly for Harry Milne who had an all-time stinker of a performance today. Considering how great he’s been for us, that was astoundingly bad.

Hope the wee Bairns with their “Falkirk Fear Yoof” flag who were constantly singing in the pub about Norrie McCathie being in a box have a miserable weekend.

Aye the sooner our first choice keeper is fit the better. This boys only good for coming on for penalty shoot outs and that's about it.

1 hour ago, Sting777 said:

Falkirk deserved that. By far the better side. The big no 11 was a bloody handful and if he stays fit I fancy Falkirk to finally get out the seaside leagues. Not many pass marks for us. Thought Williams was solid enough.. Lyons was excellent when he came on, that’s just about it. We badly need some players in…..and quick!! Still undefeated this season though…..over the 90 minutes. Good crowd through from Falkirk!

Thought the young boy Lyon gave you a lot more energy in the middle of the park.  Bannigan and stanway slowed things down too much.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Absolute fucking roasters. Was pleasing when The Woody decided to stop serving them.

26 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Thought the young boy Lyon gave you a lot more energy in the middle of the park.  Bannigan and stanway slowed things down too much.

Stanway can be forgiven but Bannigan has been like that for years. The trepidation shown by the fans when it was his turn for the penalty shows that the fans are seriously losing patience with him. Any pacy movement we have disappears completely when Bannigan gets the ball!

Edited by Sting777

34 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Stanway can be forgiven but Bannigan has been like that for years. The trepidation shown by the fans when it was his turn for the penalty shows that the fans are seriously losing patience with him. Any pacy movement we have disappears completely when Bannigan gets the ball!

Yeah it was pretty obvious when we went down to ten men that more urgency was needed yet it took until ten mins to go to bring the young lad on. Boy Williamson was a bit disappointing too. Expected a bit more from him.

Edited by Shodwall cat

Just scanned through the full match replay for the goals and penalties after the shitfest with the stream earlier. It's hard to be definite from the single camera angle but I think the original shot for Falkirk's first goal took a deflection off Williams which might explain why Sneddon flapped it back out.  There's also a small chance it's actually an o.g. by Muirhead but I'm sure MacIver will claim it.

Good run from the Falkirk player for their second but weak defending from Williamson and Sneddon should be saving that shot every time. That said between the wall setup for the first goal and the hospital pass which led to the red card their keeper did his best to even up the score.

Including penalty shoot outs, Graham has a 4 out of 9 conversion rate for us in competitive games which is dreadful. At least he keeps putting his hand up I guess.

Overall obviously happier of the 2 sets of fans, encouraging stuff and felt Thistle treated it as more of a pre season friendly which probably showed.

A word for some of the antics at the end outside the away stand. Some strange strange weirdos who seem to follow us away from home looking for fights. And fair play to a Partick (maybe “ultra”?) who told some of our freaks to calm down given a lot of their lads were 13 years old - seemed to diffuse the situation. Embarrassing. 

I can’t see one website, including unbelievably the official SPFL site, which has our group table correct. None of them have added our bonus point and they all have us on 4 points. Tin pot.