Breaking workplace rules

• 1 month later...
On 13/06/2023 at 11:37, Ron Aldo said:

When I started working in Tesco at 16 my mate (honest) thought that staff were allowed to help themselves to anything on the shelves at break time. He used to come up to the canteen with all sorts of stuff and this went on for weeks before he was told otherwise. Fortunately it wasn't management that pointed it out to him or he'd have been out the door and likely have a shoplifting charge against his name. 

I worked in safeway/morrisons and there was a bloke did this too. They sacked him for stealing but no one knew he was doin it until he was clocked by management.
He claimed to not know also know he couldn't do that.
He was also on that show with Paddy McGuinnis, (no likey, no lighty, that one) and was a Wrestler. He got done for wanking in the bushes at kids in Wishaw not long after

On 13/06/2023 at 17:03, Boghead ranter said:

Previous employer eventually upgraded their e-mail and Instant Message services, which allowed users to upload a profile picture, which displayed on all messages sent, in live conversations etc.

I had a jaunty wee avatar pic a la P&B for a wee while, but was then informed of the previously unadvised rule that the picture on my profile had to be of me.

I amended it to a picture of me aged approx 6 months, only to have the same middle manager arrive at my desk a couple of weeks later to advise that that wasn't acceptable either 🤷‍♂️

I just went without a picture from then on, seemed easier.

My work has this for Teams. Mine is one of myself sitting in the weans paddling pool with a can in my hand while she floats about on a unicorn thing.

Edited by Busta Nut

7 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I worked in safeway/morrisons and there was a bloke did this too. They sacked him for stealing but no one knew he was doin it until he was clocked by management.
He claimed to not know also know he couldn't do that.
He was also on that show with Paddy McGuinnis, (no likey, no lighty, that one) and was a Wrestler. He got done for wanking in the bushes at kids in Wishaw not long after

My work has this for Teams. Mine is one of myself sitting in the weans paddling pool with a can in my hand while she floats about on a unicorn thing.

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

A woman in the Korea office for my work had a picture of her dressed in a fairytale milkmaid's outfit, sitting on a 3-legged stool, milking a cow. A guy I worked with used to trawl the intranet creeping on honeys. You would hear him pipe up with "another in Brazil!" and shit like that.

Edited by milton75

3 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I'm absolutely shocked that a grown man who's into wrestling turned out to be a nonce...

For the record, I'm not shocked in the slightest as the 2 things are directly related.  

I used  to work in a Analytical Laboratory which had an on-site license, 12-2 Mon-Fri plus a regular Friday evening sesh, I used to run a monthly trivia quiz with the bar open till 10 pm IIRC.

Cheap prices and anyone could drink if they did a stint behind the bar once a month.

On 13/06/2023 at 20:07, Derry Alli said:

Wearing a harness in a scissor lift.

I know its a different machine but i saw two lads in a cherry picker bombing it through a site with the boom lifted right up and one of the wheels went in a pot hole and nearly sent the two of them into orbit.

Luckily they landed back in the cradle. 

17 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

I know its a different machine but i saw two lads in a cherry picker bombing it through a site with the boom lifted right up and one of the wheels went in a pot hole and nearly sent the two of them into orbit.

Aye they're great fun. Poor guy in Blairgowrie wasn't so lucky.

1 hour ago, btb said:

I used  to work in a Analytical Laboratory which had an on-site license, 12-2 Mon-Fri plus a regular Friday evening sesh, I used to run a monthly trivia quiz with the bar open till 10 pm IIRC.

Cheap prices and anyone could drink if they did a stint behind the bar once a month.

There is a pub next to the Daresbury synchrotron lab. We were working there for a 48 hour beamtime. It hit 9pm and we decided to head off for last orders. 

We set the lab up to do a detector response (aiming a radioactive source at the detector). The plan was to run it for a couple of hours, then get back at 11ish and carry on working. 

Got to the pub, got hammered. They had a lock in. We had a brilliant night. No way were we heading back to the beamline, we could barely walk. 

In the morning the beamline scientist was waiting for us. He wasn't upset or anything, he was in fact a sound guy. But we had aimed the source the wrong way, so it spent the night irradiating a wall. And probably us when we were setting it up. 

On 13/06/2023 at 19:50, Derry Alli said:

I'm pretty close to being banned from all Schlumberger sites for repeatedly breaking one of their rules. It's an absolutely stupid rule that I refuse to follow. 

We go through the same rigmarole almost monthly where some tube will report me (and get his wee prize for doing so) I'll get pulled up by their H&S and we will have a talk. I'll say I'm not following the rule, they'll say to my employer I have to. My employer will side with me. They'll say if I don't confirm I'll be banned. My employer will say "if that's what it comes to." They'll say it's H&S. We will say it isn't, in fact it's the opposite in HSE and they'll say "it's our policy, you must follow it". 

Rinse and repeat.

90-95% of my day is dealing with SLB in about 15 countries ( I don't work for them just deal with them ). They are the worst multinational in humanity to deal with for rules and being late payers, and pedantic and arseholes.  @Derry Alli Please keep annoying them

11 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Pub - pint on my break, few pints on my break, pint whilst working (this was encouraged by the manager once tbf), being absolutely steaming whilst working, having a lock in till 8am on a Monday morning. Good fun at the time, not later that day. 

When worked as civil servant went to pun for lunch 3 or 4 days a week for between a couple of pints and up to 7or8. Would be asleep or passed and sacked out if I tried that these days, but it was totally accepted if not within the rules in the 90s/ early 00s.

Just had an email round - someone has complained about staff bringing children into the buildings. So, don't bring your kids in.

I am guessing this is because we had a woman recently back from maternity leave bring her new kid in to show off to people. Someone has taken petty umbrage. 

On 13/06/2023 at 09:53, DA Baracus said:

Dress code. Get it to f**k. Archaic nonsense that serves no purpose for so many. Having to sit in an office in the summer heat and not being able to wear shorts is stupid. Who is it for?

People who don't want to have to look at your naked legs. If it's really hot will we have to look at your bare arse as well. ?? Get a pair of loose linen trousers. It's not difficult.  Where will all this 'me, me, me' end. 

Edited by kennie makevin
Edit

12 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

People who don't want to have to look at your naked legs. If it's really hot will we have to look at your bare arse as well. ?? Get a pair of loose linen trousers. It's not difficult.  Where will all this 'me, me, me' end. 

I personally don't feel obliged to look at people's legs just because they're wearing shorts. Are you a general purpose pervert or just a compulsive leg voyeur? 

51 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Could also get a Panama hat and a pair of those sunglasses you clip on to your normal specs to complete the old pervert on holiday look