Early 2023/24 predictions

On 14/07/2023 at 14:12, Dunning1874 said:

Ultimately though that squad just isn't any stronger than last season

You sure about that ?

Have you not been keeping up to speed with Arbroath's summer signings ?

I highly doubt they will be troubling the bottom of the league this season.

Best revise your predictions.

9 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

You sure about that ?

You’ve signed Craig Slater and Leighton McIntosh who are both fine at this level and nothing more, you’ve signed some guys from the lower leagues who might or might not manage the step up, and you’ve signed a 27 year old German striker with 11 career league goals.

You’ve also lost the only bit of creativity your team had last season. 

18 minutes ago, clashcityrocker said:

You sure about that ?

Which of Steele, Stowe, Slater, Norey, McIntosh, Bird and Turan are obvious upgrades? Discounting Adams from this as he presumably isn't going to play a minute barring Gaston being injured or suspended.

Some of them may well turn out to be good enough and better than what you had last season, but the only two who are known quantities are Slater and McIntosh, who aren't getting a game for anyone else in the division. The rest are all unproven in the Championship.

1 hour ago, clashcityrocker said:

You sure about that ?

Not convinced by that. Craig Slater as much as I liked him at QP was in the league 2 era and that was after being punted by thistle in the championship mid season. Decent pedigree but dogged by injuries. Will be interesting to see if his body can cope with the intensity of the championship. Ability not in question, simply i don’t trust his fitness 

Mcintosh for me was the best of a horrific bunch in that cove side. Can still nick a couple goals at this level but no chance would I trust him up top for 36 games. 

The rest are just complete unknowns at this level. Bird seems to be hyped up a fair amount from a trialist appearance. Granted he might be decent but so many times I’ve seen someone look great in friendlies to then look mince once the competitive stuff begins. 

Im prepared to be proven wrong as I have many times with Arbroath but I think this will be the toughest season to avoid the bottom 2

Edited by qpfc

You sure about that ?

Hubris, thy name is clashcityrocker.

Of our signings, have any of them been outstanding?  Our highest level established signing was relegated with Cove last season.  The others seem solid, but on paper, without seeing any games, have any of them been really coveted?  Now Jack Hamilton signing for Raith, that was a coup, but we haven't made a single signing like that, and we've lost Bobby Linn, the man who carried our season (again) last year.  The signings do seem better than last season, but we said that in the January window too.

1. Dundee United

2. Raith Rovers

3. Partick Thistle

4. Dunfermline Athletic

5. Queens Park

6. Inverness

7. Morton

8. Ayr United

9. Airdrie

10. Arbroath

As impossible as ever.........................

Well I don’t think anyone should be told to revise their predictions it’s their own opinion

Also our signings have been much better and it does feel like we will be much stronger but it’s going to be a hard league and we may well finish bottom too because it’s going to be so tough - so there is a happy medium between both of these.. 

40 minutes ago, ExiledLichtie said:

Hubris, thy name is clashcityrocker.

Of our signings, have any of them been outstanding?  Our highest level established signing was relegated with Cove last season.  The others seem solid, but on paper, without seeing any games, have any of them been really coveted?  Now Jack Hamilton signing for Raith, that was a coup, but we haven't made a single signing like that, and we've lost Bobby Linn, the man who carried our season (again) last year.  The signings do seem better than last season, but we said that in the January window too.

You sure about that ?

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Which of Steele, Stowe, Slater, Norey, McIntosh, Bird and Turan are obvious upgrades? Discounting Adams from this as he presumably isn't going to play a minute barring Gaston being injured or suspended.

Some of them may well turn out to be good enough and better than what you had last season, but the only two who are known quantities are Slater and McIntosh, who aren't getting a game for anyone else in the division. The rest are all unproven in the Championship.

And the thing with this is I don’t feel like we really needed too much to be a decent team last year - we were hardly that different to the team we had the season before.

We just played a full season without a striker that could play upfront effectively on their own… (and without a striker on the park at all for the first half of the season) we still have a core of players who can clearly be very good in this league at the club 

McIntosh can do that lone striker much better than Hilson ever could (and I’d imagine he will be playing second fiddle to Bird) and Bird looks like he could be a really good player for us 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

You’ve signed Craig Slater and Leighton McIntosh who are both fine at this level and nothing more, you’ve signed some guys from the lower leagues who might or might not manage the step up, and you’ve signed a 27 year old German striker with 11 career league goals.

You’ve also lost the only bit of creativity your team had last season. 

#Telt

10 minutes ago, ArabFundamentalist said:

You lot predicting United finishing top clearly have no idea how utterly shite we are.

Lose to Partick tomorrow and I'm sticking you 10th. You'll have lost to, on paper, Scotland's worst club, and that wee Edinburgh team, in the same week.