Titanic II

42 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There was some American at the press conference repeatedly shouting questions about recovery of the bodies, not sure if the families would appreciate being handed a bucket of goo and random bone fragments, Davy Jones's locker seems the most appropriate resting place in the circumstances if Mrs Vardy doesn't object.

Probably someone who’s waiting on filing the life insurance claim.

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah..... Its almost too much pressure to comprehend, but all of these various helpful info graphics explaining that it's like having an empire state building on top of you should help. 

If you're wondering if there would be a body to recover, imagine what would be left if someone dropped an empire state building on you, but from all sides at the same time.....

Easier way to imagine it is look at what's left of a spider when you step on it. 

6 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

Probably someone who’s waiting on filing the life insurance claim.

Sounded like one of those Fox or MSNBC twats desperate to be heard on the live broadcast to justify his expenses claims.

It would be interesting to find out if any of those involved managed to get life insurance cover for it though, and how much they paid.

Edited by welshbairn

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sounded like one of those Fox or MSNBC twats desperate to be heard on the live broadcast to justify his expenses claims.

It would be interesting to find out if any of those involved managed to get life insurance cover for it though, and how much they paid.

If you're a billionaire, do you need life insurance? 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

True story:

My mum and dad went on this in Vegas in 2008 when they were there. It was mentioned but never really brought up as a point of conversation in the following years.

My mum had Myeloma in the last couple of years of her life and in April 2021, about 6 months before she passed away, she was rushed into hospital with a high calcium count in her blood. For anyone who isnt aware, this is very serious and leads to delirium and confusion much like a dementia patient, even though she was of completely sound mind. The body just completely rejects rational thought.

In the 6 days she was in hospital in a life threatening and then stabilised state whilst they tried to lower her blood calcium to get her back home, she kept going on about how she died on the titanic and couldn't save the kids. I was freaked out as she wasn't like in the throes of delirium,  she was lying back semi out of it and telling me this matter of factly.

Conversation went like:

'June (i always called her by her first name when giving her a talking to)....what year were you born?' '1954'.

'Aye, when did titanic sink?'....'about 1919'

Right, so how the f**k did you die on Titanic?'

She sits up bolt upright, 'I fucking did. It's cancer I've got, no dementia. I died on the Titanic and all those kids died cos of me'.

I'm left standing scratching my head and laughing and my dad stoats in about 20 mins later and tells me that aye, her card showed on that exhibit showed she did in fact die on the Titanic and failed to rescue several children. Fucking weird how 13 years later in a drug and blood calcium induced fever dream, that's where her brain went and in her head for those few days, it was very real.

Slightly off topic but just got that wee memory of her when you mentioned that.

We'd a friend & neighbour whose husband had delirium during treatment: thought he was a sailor for the Ben Line... She eventually recalled that decades before they knew somebody that was.