#Barclays 23/24

20 hours ago, Molotov said:

Box 6 = money? Is that the measure these days?

When did Man City become a big 6 club? After their takeover?

The original big 4 back in the 80s were Liverpool, Everton, United and Arsenal. 

In the context of the formation of the Premier League the "Big" is probably best read as "box office",  a measure of how much attention the club's games can command from the casual viewer which is what was going to matter for the new era

I chose 6 because Spurs and Chelsea were also part of the group pressing for the formation of what became the premier league

Previously attendances were the normal  proxy for "bigness" but as matchday income was the the bulk of clubs' total income that still amounted to "Big = Money"

And by that metric Everton were indeed firmly in the top 4 from their title winning season 85 through to the end of the 80s 

But Man City were pulling in top 4 crowds at the start of the 80s and even the season after getting relegated were still drawing bigger numbers than Goodison

People who think football only started in 1992 tend to think that Everton have always been irrelevant and that Manchester City is a new thing. They're wrong on both counts

On 17/01/2024 at 10:01, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I just checked Everton's transfers in 1985 and as I suspected, that was the summer they signed Gary Lineker before selling him a year later for a huge profit They sold an aging Andy Gray back to Villa that summer, I don't think I;'ve heard of any of the others who left that summer, and I certainly don't remember them going on to any great European success.

So, on the back of a European ban they signed a top class striker and only won the charity shield in 1985/6. Liverpool won the double.

I honestly didn't know Pat Jennings rocked up at Goodison for a season at the age of 41 though. Every day is a school day.

https://www.efcstatto.com/transfers/1985-86/ Research is handy, trust me.

A substantial number of Liverpool fans definitely think that Heysel played a substantial part in Everton's demise, given their willingness to display a vile "Steaua Bucuresti 1986" banner on the Kop. This is essentially a celebration of their own support's part in the murder of Juventus fans at Heysel and the subsequent ban from Europe of English clubs, with the implication that this led to the Romanian club winning the European Cup rather than Everton.

liverpool-banner.JPG

Edited by craigkillie

56 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

Aye, that's why they have gone through 11 managers since Moyes left, and are probably still paying at least part of three of their salaries, and are making astute signings like Alann (who?) for £23M, Sigurddson for £45M, Tosun for £27M nearly 40 years after that.

Blame the red shite.

Sigurdsson was absolutely fantastic for Everton until... it... happened, tbf. Not as if they could plan for him being a wrong un.

Tosun may well be one of the worst signings in modern football, behind Maupay (to Everton) and Harry Maguire (to Utd)

2 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Sigurdsson was absolutely fantastic for Everton until... it... happened, tbf. Not as if they could plan for him being a wrong un.

Given that they give players thorough medical examinations to check for potential future problems maybe clubs need to check the hard drives of prospective signings 

Or just stick a poll on P&B and we'll accurately rate how likely they are to be a wrong un on a scale of 1 to Grealish

On 18/01/2024 at 15:31, ClydeTon said:

Weren't the charges against him dropped?

Raheem Sterling was in court twice on serious (and separate) domestic abuse allegations yet suffered no recourse.

Gerrard beat the shit out of someone on camera and suffered no recourse. Hilariously, he was found not guilty, presumably the guy was headbutting his fist.

Sigurdsson, charged and never went to court, was hard done to imo.

I'm looking forward to Guardiola doing one of those half-time Sky interviews when Man City are 5-0 up against Burnley or something, and him to start giving it the "It is so, so difficult, they are so, so good" treatment.