Dundee United vs Dunfermline Athletic (Sat 12th Aug)

6 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Never understood how fussy people get about pubs.

As long as you’re with people you enjoy spending time with and the drinks aren’t too expensive, the location doesn’t really matter tbh.

Good man.

Your route is get off the train Arctic, Caws, Cookies, Hill Bar (RIP the Shakey), Bowser and finally cocktails at the Athletic (RIP the Glenlivet)

image.jpeg.c08b18ff228a43b05c8a19357ee0d950.jpeg

Quiet in here.

Think most Pars fans are fairly pessimistic about our chances tomorrow, would love a draw.

Tannadice hasn't been a happy hunting ground for us in recent years & obviously the pricing will be putting a lot of folk off. Looks like the section of the stand we have been given has just about sold out with a few tickets taken in the next block too. The Shed usually makes for a good atmosphere so hopefully a good backing for the boys. Expecting The Pars to play to our strengths - defending well and trying to counter attack. Whether that defence can hold out for 90 minutes against a really strong United attack is the big question, I fear it won't, especially with Breen out. 

Should be a battle and this mug punter is really looking forward to the game.

MOH should be available, so that’s something at least. 

McPake’s Pars are incredibly resilient, however this is something totally different altogether. Don’t see how we get anything from this with so many important players missing. 

I know they were pre-season and League Cup games, but United look better than St Johnstone (who we drew with) and going forward, similar to Kilmarnock (who we lost to although we did play well). Even with a full squad to choose from, I wouldn't be confident. As it is, I suspect a lot of our players will be blowing out their arse with 15 minutes left so if we aren't behind by then it'll become increasingly desperate. 

14 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

As it is, I suspect a lot of our players will be blowing out their arse with 15 minutes left

Eh? Am I missing something here? Why would that be the case?

Tbh, I have absolutely no idea what to expect tomorrow. Don't really have a good gauge of how good Utd really are, and I feel I underestimate us given our injuries and lack of transfer activity in the past few weeks. 

Compete well but lose seems the obvious choice, but I also have a glimmer of hope. Our guys have consistently surprised me over and over again at how resilient they are since McPake and co. came to the club. Would be nice to get another surprise tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Lack of options on the bench + the assumption that Utd will control possession for fairly decent spells. We tired against Raith and Killie for similar reasons, in spite of the fact we've competed well against everyone (except St Pauli) this season.
Even against Airdrie you could see some were struggling. McCann was clearly burst after that full pitch breakaway, but thankfully we were able to hold out fairly comfortably.

Suspect no such comfort will be found at Tannadice, but we'll have to wait and see.
Still hopeful myself but I can see why folk have a bit of trepidation.

Edited by Andriy_Parmolenko

I think we'll lose tomorrow. I always go to Tannadice expecting to lose (although weirdly I've probably seen us play there at least 15 times and we've won as many as we've lost). The difference IMO is that we have a team who have a bit about them in terms of togetherness and fight which I don't think we've had for a long time. So we'll go tomorrow and be no pushovers, however I do think Dundee Utd will edge it, especially with us being without Matty and Kane. They looked pretty good away to Arbroath last Friday, although that could have been more down to Arbroath playing badly.

Would be nice to see MOH in the squad at least and it very much sounds like he'll be involved. If we can somehow get some signings today that would be fab. Sounds like the Summers one is a goer, and I have renewed optimism over Wotherspoon following McPake's interview yesterday. He can be quite abrupt sometimes, and I fully expected him to distance ourselves from DW given the limbo situation. However, he mentioned the deal is still on offer and he is still training with us.

Head says a 2 nil win to Dundee Utd, scoring early and late, heart says a 1 nil to Dunfermline, 88th minute winner going in off Gary Mason's left testicle for old times sake.

45 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Not much to add to what @Andriy_Parmolenko has said above. We will probably be playing for long spells without the ball, we've not had the luxury of resting players during pre season and the League Cup (think Comrie has played them all, a lot of players have only missed one?), we play a high intensity pressing game which uses a lot of energy (as mentioned above, McCann was spent on Saturday, added to that we'll miss the energy of Otoo in midfield since he'll have to play at LCB with Breen out), we don't have players on the bench who can come on after an hour or so to freshen things up... I don't think it's too controversial to suggest we might be in for a tiring afternoon. 

Think this should be an interesting game to judge where we are. Not expecting much from it so a draw would be a bonus. Hopefully Graham is starting and has been given a long pep talk by Peter Grant. 

I'd drop Tod for Allan, being a more defensively minded player, making it a more conventional 3-5-2 for this one. 

Sharp

Fisher Bene Otoo

Comrie Allan Hamilton Chalmers Edwards

Wighton McCann 

Edited by par-adise

13 minutes ago, par-adise said:

Think this should be an interesting game to judge where we are. Not expecting much from it so a draw would be a bonus. Hopefully Graham is starting and has been given a long pep talk by Peter Grant. 

I'd drop Tod for Allan, being a more defensively minded player, making it a more conventional 3-5-2 for this one. 

Sharp

Fisher Bene Otoo

Comrie Allan Hamilton Chalmers Edwards

Wighton McCann 

The good news is if we go with that, we should have MOH ready to come on in place of one of the forward players. Apparently still rapid so that could be handy.