QP v Arbroath - Arbroath v QP

6 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

Understand that it’s nice to have the option but we got to the situation 2/3 season’s ago where we were giving half the ground to supports sometimes numbering no more than 100-300. This annoyed many of us as traditionally we would swap ends at half time.

Now a team with a larger support - so this season probably only United, Dunfermline and maybe Partick, will get 50/50 terracing with a small part of the stand; some with smaller but still a few hundred travelling supports will get behind the goals and part of the stand. That leaves teams that won’t bring more than 100-200, so probably only QP and maybe ICT this season, and Cove and Accies last season, only getting part of the stand.

Can’t see why it would be an issue for anyone as most grounds shoehorn visiting fans into corners or parts of stands etc anyway.

I always thought we were far too generous - it’s our home game after all and our fans should be priority.

Fair play mate. It is disappointing but only from a perspective that Arbroath has been one of the best awaydays for a long, long time due in part to having the freedom to stretch out in the terracing. The fixture just before Xmas was one of the best of our season last year even though it was horrific weather to travel in. And it's certainly been the tradition for Lichties to move in big numbers to stand behind both goals in the game to support their favourites so you're entitled to that too.

Ultimately it's our cack-handed running of the club these last three years that means we still can't muster more than 200 heads to one of the highlights of the fixture card.

Don’t see what the big deal is re the segregation - happened before and it’s not like that away end of the stand is terrible you’ll get a perfectly good view there. If you sell enough you’ll get the choice of standing too up to the corner flag

Re the game, first home game of the season and I absolutely cannot be fucked with it - sums it up. Actually hoping the weather is a farce so it makes it more of a lottery

I hope we have a left back in and a big b*****d of a central midfielder - think we may get the former but not the latter.

Left back in for Dow and Stewart to right midfield is what I would go if so - possibly Balde in for Slater too. I just think no combination in there will work and that Gold has to play 

Hoping to get pleasantly surprised but there’s not many times that’s happened in the last 12 month 

Normally don’t buy mine until the Saturday, but didn’t want papped down into row A or something. Think a lot of folk do the same. Motherwell shifted us into the main stand because we only shifted a few dozen before the day of the game but took 250 or something, albeit I’d be surprised if we took that many! Looks like there’s less than ten left in the first section. 

You just know the stewards will be dicks about standing up as well. They were bad in December, after years of hassle free games at Gayfield. Refused a couple of folk entry for being in nothing more than high spirits and were patrolling like they were looking for an excuse to pull people up. The only crime was being happy, an acceptable level of pished, or both.

3 minutes ago, an86 said:

Normally don’t buy mine until the Saturday, but didn’t want papped down into row A or something. Think a lot of folk do the same. Motherwell shifted us into the main stand because we only shifted a few dozen before the day of the game but took 250 or something, albeit I’d be surprised if we took that many! Looks like there’s less than ten left in the first section. 

You just know the stewards will be dicks about standing up as well. They were bad in December, after years of hassle free games at Gayfield. Refused a couple of folk entry for being in nothing more than high spirits and were patrolling like they were looking for an excuse to pull people up. The only crime was being happy, an acceptable level of pished, or both.

Yeah the stewards are arseholes.

Can you not just pick your seat?

I done the stand in the League Cup games for a change and there was the option of picking a seat. 

eta - oh wait you have picked your seat, I’m talking shite

Edited by 1320Lichtie

11 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Fair play mate. It is disappointing but only from a perspective that Arbroath has been one of the best awaydays for a long, long time due in part to having the freedom to stretch out in the terracing. The fixture just before Xmas was one of the best of our season last year even though it was horrific weather to travel in. And it's certainly been the tradition for Lichties to move in big numbers to stand behind both goals in the game to support their favourites so you're entitled to that too.

Ultimately it's our cack-handed running of the club these last three years that means we still can't muster more than 200 heads to one of the highlights of the fixture card.

As others have said, if you sell enough tickets then I’m sure they’ll open the section of terracing up to the corner flag. Maybe if a few of your fans contacted the club to ask then it would help. It’s only a case of moving some temporary barriers after all.

Thinking back, I’m actually pretty sure that Cove also got that bit of terracing last season so a fair chance you will too. Good to have the option for you guys and personally I much prefer standing if given the choice.

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Don’t see what the big deal is re the segregation - happened before and it’s not like that away end of the stand is terrible you’ll get a perfectly good view there. If you sell enough you’ll get the choice of standing too up to the corner flag

Re the game, first home game of the season and I absolutely cannot be fucked with it - sums it up. Actually hoping the weather is a farce so it makes it more of a lottery

I hope we have a left back in and a big b*****d of a central midfielder - think we may get the former but not the latter.

Left back in for Dow and Stewart to right midfield is what I would go if so - possibly Balde in for Slater too. I just think no combination in there will work and that Gold has to play 

Hoping to get pleasantly surprised but there’s not many times that’s happened in the last 12 month

In all my years of going to Gayfield, I can never remember feeling so negative and apathetic about it all.

Even back in the very bad old days of scrabbling around at the foot of the bottom tier (the very foot a few times), there was always a feeling that we could get something from a game and that a corner was maybe about to be turned. Perhaps that was the optimism of youth but I can’t ever remember having this feeling that we’re getting nothing from a game, no matter who we play. Felt like that for pretty much a year now.

What a change from 2 seasons ago where every home game you just knew we were winning or drawing at worst.

Cant ever remember another team whose form has fallen off a cliff so quickly and dramatically - almost like flicking a switch.

The ups and downs of being a fitba fan I suppose.

9 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

In all my years of going to Gayfield, I can never remember feeling so negative and apathetic about it all.

Even back in the very bad old days of scrabbling around at the foot of the bottom tier (the very foot a few times), there was always a feeling that we could get something from a game and that a corner was maybe about to be turned. Perhaps that was the optimism of youth but I can’t ever remember having this feeling that we’re getting nothing from a game, no matter who we play. Felt like that for pretty much a year now.

What a change from 2 seasons ago where every home game you just knew we were winning or drawing at worst.

Cant ever remember another team whose form has fallen off a cliff so quickly and dramatically - almost like flicking a switch.

The ups and downs of being a fitba fan I suppose.

Brechin

27 minutes ago, spiders4ever said:

Brechin

Brechin were always pretty poor though, they were 4th in L1 and went up through a play off - they lost more games than they won in L1 and got promoted, basically kept same team if not got worse moving up a league.

We had 6/7 of the same core players last year as we did in our title challenge year (and year’s previous where they’d been good at this level) and they all dropped off a cliff - clear lack of confidence plus bad management / recruitment. 

Momentum is massive in football and teams need to learn how to win / pick up points. We are doing the opposite, you can just feel the energy on match days at Gayfield just now. A real negative vibe whenever the slightest thing starts going wrong. It’s hard to change that and increasingly it feels like the only thing that can solve it is a fresh reset in regards to management.

Hope it doesn’t come to that though - we need some results and soon especially at Gayfield - because last season was a chore even for the diehards 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, spiders4ever said:

Brechin

Brechin were a mid-table L1 side who fluked their way into the Championship. They then compounded that by not investing, sticking with that mid-table L1 squad and being happy to take the money and run. The problem was that they got humiliated that season and then got into the losing habit, were unable to attract good enough players and plummeted down the leagues.

Arbroath won L1 pretty comfortably then consolidated in the Championship for 3 seasons before almost winning the thing. The core of that team then collectively lost form which was magnified by a raft of poor signings and managerial decisions.

An almost overnight collapse. My worry is that, the losing habit/lack of confidence is difficult to get out of.

It'll be interesting to see how Arbroath approach this one and what, if any changes QP make, as for the first time in a long time, (with perhaps the exception of Paton) we have two or more players for each position, the majority of which are comfortably interchangeable.  

On Saturday there was virtually no pressure put on Tizzard, Fox and McKenna and QP seemed to fairly comfortably control midfield.  Would have thought it unlikely Arbroath will try and sit in and counter at home, so it could be a really open game...reckon the linesmen will be busy!

I’ve been watching Arbroath play Queens for years and they always struck me as being good eggs. I don’t know much about the Lesser Hampden saga but it’s a shame it’s appears not to be going that well. Feels like a missed chance. 

I hope they get a bit of terrace on Saturday and, one final thing, can we play maroon vs hoops and bin the unnecessary use of showbiz change kits please.  

4 minutes ago, JoseMarooniho said:

I’ve been watching Arbroath play Queens for years and they always struck me as being good eggs. I don’t know much about the Lesser Hampden saga but it’s a shame it’s appears not to be going that well. Feels like a missed chance. 

I hope they get a bit of terrace on Saturday and, one final thing, can we play maroon vs hoops and bin the unnecessary use of showbiz change kits please.  

I’d rather wear the red, such is the hideousness of what’s been done to the home kit. 

19 hours ago, Spider1975 said:

It'll be interesting to see how Arbroath approach this one and what, if any changes QP make, as for the first time in a long time, (with perhaps the exception of Paton) we have two or more players for each position, the majority of which are comfortably interchangeable.  

On Saturday there was virtually no pressure put on Tizzard, Fox and McKenna and QP seemed to fairly comfortably control midfield.  Would have thought it unlikely Arbroath will try and sit in and counter at home, so it could be a really open game...reckon the linesmen will be busy!

I would like to see us approach it with a game plan exactly like that, I would actually like us to just approach it with a fkn game plan you can physically see happen infront of my eyes. That’s what’s pissing me off, like I’ve said it would be very easy for us to come away from the first 3 games against Dundee United and QP x 2 with zero points but I want to see some direction or positivity in the performance 

I think if I was Dick Campbell I would line up 4-5-1. Midfield with Hylton and Stowe each side and the plan to be to get them 2 in behind as much as possible. They’ve got pace to burn, look at the goal Saturday… so try and defend in numbers, get good balls into Bird supported by McKenna and try to work the ball into the channels for us to try use that pace we’ve got. 

Instead I suspect we will see Dow out wide not having any real impact on the game and long aimless balls from back to front.