Dundee United v Airdrieonians

15 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I mean, they've got an unusual style of play for this level and they certainly stuck to their game plan. I think we just differ in whether we think its creditable, interesting or worthwhile. I can see Airdrie  getting lots of nil nil draws as they suck the tempo and atmosphere out of a game but they're so easy to defend against I just can't see them winning enough games to be challenging for the play offs.

McCabe's had 55 games in charge and none of them have been 0-0 draws, we are the least 0-0 draw type team I've ever watched. Some of our scorelines from last season were bonkers.

I definitely agree that it will be harder this season as more competent defences will be able to limit our chances, but equally if we score first teams will have to come out and press more and we are well suited to keeping possession to kill a game. I don't think we'll be challenging for the play-offs, but the style of play will allow us to be competitive with basically the same team that finished 3rd in League 1.

8 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Difficult to imagine a take more incorrect than this? Airdrie are probably the side least likely to get a goalless draw in the entire division.

If you’d asked me to guess what team was being described there I’d have gone with Dunfermline. 

39 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Difficult to imagine a take more incorrect than this? Airdrie are probably the side least likely to get a goalless draw in the entire division.

I was thinking just how negative a game would be between Airdrie and Dunfermline. One constantly passing the ball side to side in their own half whilst the other refuses to send anyone forward to put any sort of press on.  The mega anschluss. 

3 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

I was thinking just how negative a game would be between Airdrie and Dunfermline. One constantly passing the ball side to side in their own half whilst the other refuses to send anyone forward to put any sort of press on.  The mega anschluss. 

I've been to the last 6 games between Airdrie and Dunfermline, I respect posters on here can have different opinions but you cannot be more wrong.

Whilst Dunfermline are a very frustrating team to play against as they are very good defensively, the games between ourselves in recent times have been very entertaining with goals, drama, comebacks and red cards etc.

17 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I've been to the last 6 games between Airdrie and Dunfermline, I respect posters on here can have different opinions but you cannot be more wrong.

Whilst Dunfermline are a very frustrating team to play against as they are very good defensively, the games between ourselves in recent times have been very entertaining with goals, drama, comebacks and red cards etc.

That's smashing, bud. I appreciate your respect, as paper thin as it may be. I trust you'll equally appreciate my opinion that two teams with such negative styles of play may struggle to do anything worthwhile at a higher level.  Sounds like you both had a rare old time in the Seasides though. So that's nice.

26 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

That's smashing, bud. I appreciate your respect, as paper thin as it may be. I trust you'll equally appreciate my opinion that two teams with such negative styles of play may struggle to do anything worthwhile at a higher level.  Sounds like you both had a rare old time in the Seasides though. So that's nice.

Airdrie weren't negative today.

In the first half they had a couple of nice passive moves but they obviously wanted United to press, and Goodwin didn't want play that way.

As a result, their best strategy was to stay in the game until the last 15 minutes and then throw everything at it.  They looked like they had an equaliser and they were clearly going for it - hence the keeper being at the half way line.

Takes you back going back to Tannadice, although I don't remember the main stand extension the last time,  nice stadium, felt like a big game..

Onto the game and for the first time this season, I never felt that at any point Airdrie thought they could win,  we could have been 2 or 3 down early on , with very little coming back at that stage,   we passed it about nicely with United giving us our own half more or less  before initiating contact,  we missed McCabe and Frizzell today more for a directness and a change of pace...   Best for Airdrie were Ballantyne, Fordyce,Aiken and McStravick nothing really up front ,  McGill struggling on this league, Gall battles away and is still our biggest goal threat,   we need to get Todorov somehow in that side for a different option..

United to be fair were pretty comfortable and didn't have to do a great deal to get the 3 points,   in saying that I expect them to take this title at a canter....

A crowd of just over 8k never looked like it to me,  with 477 making the sunny journey from NL.

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Interesting that you view Airdrie’s style of play as negative for trying to build from the back and not the home team camped in their own half for most of the game

2 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

It’s ok to admit you don’t know what you’re talking about mate. No judgement here.

9 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

I mean, they've got an unusual style of play for this level and they certainly stuck to their game plan. I think we just differ in whether we think its creditable, interesting or worthwhile. I can see Airdrie  getting lots of nil nil draws as they suck the tempo and atmosphere out of a game but they're so easy to defend against I just can't see them winning enough games to be challenging for the play offs.

It’s really strange that every United fan opinion I’ve read so far has been complimenting airdrie and saying we looked good. Then you are the only one to say otherwise. So either everyone is wrong or you are?

The fact you then commented that airdrie will get lots of 0-0’s kinda confirms that you don’t have a clue. Given we are favourites to go down then that would probably be a good idea to be like that but McCabe can’t do that. 

I am sure I speak for all airdrie fans when I say that our aim is to avoid the relegation play offs. Any promotion play offs are not even in our sights.

46 minutes ago, Aufc said:

It’s really strange that every United fan opinion I’ve read so far has been complimenting airdrie and saying we looked good. Then you are the only one to say otherwise. So either everyone is wrong or you are?

The fact you then commented that airdrie will get lots of 0-0’s kinda confirms that you don’t have a clue. Given we are favourites to go down then that would probably be a good idea to be like that but McCabe can’t do that. 

I am sure I speak for all airdrie fans when I say that our aim is to avoid the relegation play offs. Any promotion play offs are not even in our sights.

Tbf, the every other United fan commenting positively on here is quite a small sample size and those guys are mostly just being nice or have mistaken playing incredibly slowly for playing nice football. They and the numerous offended Airdrie and Dunfermline fans are entitled to your opinions though and I respect those opinions. It's an aesthetic judgement and if that's what rock your boat then that's fine.

Fwiw, I don't see anyone currently predicting Airdrie to get relegated,  other than some posters on here who are clearly on the wind up.

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

am sure I speak for all airdrie fans when I say that our aim is to avoid the relegation play offs. Any promotion play offs are not even in our sights.

Absolutely- of course I want to go every game with the belief we can take something from it. The reality is I don’t see Dundee Utd as our fight this season - i expect them to win it based on the limited games I’ve seen so far.

I see surviving the first season as the priority and that means winning or taking as many points as we can at home and against teams who may be in the bottom half of the mix with us. We’re still building this side and style (and appreciate not everyone likes the way we play) but it’s done us well so far.

I was genuinely fearful going into that game missing so many players in midfield and then losing Deano so early but they did really well. 

Would have preferred not to concede the comedy 2nd. But at that point, 1-0 or 2-0, it didn’t really matter. I didn’t see us equalising. 

Edited by She who dares gins

15 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Fwiw, I don't see anyone currently predicting Airdrie to get relegated,  other than some posters on here who are clearly on the wind up.

Methinks, this is a correct statement and some posters are on the wind up 😜

A criticism of mine has been that we try and play passes when they are just not on.

The second goal yesterday was the best example of that. Keeper is on the half way line with 9 Airdrie players in the DU box and he decides to play a tight pass on the half way line whilst being pressured by 2x DU attackers. 

I’m all for neat football but the truth is there are times when it’s 100% on and times when it’s 100% not and McCabe needs to convey that to the team. Rae should have whacked that back into the mixing pot yesterday in an attempt to salvage something from the game. 

I get that it’s all about being brave (Rae certainly was) but if you’re doing it just for the sake of doing it then it’s ineffective. 

As DU fans have pointed out, we play our best passing stuff when going forward. If dominating games is having the ball go between Fordyce and ATS for 10 minutes  a game then I must be miles behind. 

Edited by Diamond1924

4 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

A criticism of mine has been that we try and play passes when they are just not on.

The second goal yesterday was the best example of that. Keeper is on the half way line with 9 Airdrie players in the DU box and he decides to play a tight pass on the half way line whilst being pressured by 2x DU attackers. 

I’m all for neat football but the truth is there are times when it’s 100% on and times when it’s 100% not and McCabe needs to convey that to the team. Rae should have whacked that back into the mixing pot yesterday in an attempt to salvage something from the game. 

I get that it’s all about being brave (Rae certainly was) but if you’re doing it just for the sake of doing it then it’s ineffective. 

As DU fans have pointed out, we play our best passing stuff when going forward. If dominating games is having the ball go between Fordyce and ATS for 10 minutes  a game then I must be miles behind. 

There are times we absolutely overdo it, or do it at completely the wrong time.  Should have just launched it back up. There was nothing to achieve by trying to pass it out at that time. Sometimes feels like we’re just running the clock down on ourselves. Similar to Ross County at 3-2 in extra time.