Dundee United v Airdrieonians

10 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Quite the start, goal down, best midfielder down. FFS 

Don’t think that goal happens if McMaster is on the pitch either, the build-up started with United having a lot of space in midfield while our players weren’t covering the gaps. 

I stepped out the room when listening to dutv audio and came back to find the game delayed - is it a player seriously injured? Sounds like a supporter is ill and match is delayed - hope they are ok 😕

Edited by Alan_G

Bit of a strange game.  Nice team play in the build up for the early goal and we look dangerous any time we’re going forward with Moult hitting the woodwork twice, however the momentum seems to be dropping too often, more so in the closing stages of the half.

Other than the assist I don’t think Middleton has done enough, ditto Watt and Grimshaw who has has had too many stray passes.  Airdrie realising Cudjoe is a threat and paying him close attention.  Glass having another good game which is encouraging.

I’m quite impressed by Airdrie’s build up play and I think we might need a second goal to secure the game.

1-0 Utd half-time. Utd on top and had a some good chances but Airdrie have had 2 or 3 really good efforts too. United shooting down the hill second half, I’d go for 2 or 3 nil full-time. Decent support from Airdrie, making plenty of noise. Good game ⚽

2 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

4th game in and our squad depth or lack of it is already showing signs in stretching, but what do we know?

Yeah, the club should have signed an extra 3 or 4 midfielders to account for the possibility of having 3 injured and one suspended at the same time becaus that happens a lot eh. 😏

5 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Yeah, the club should have signed an extra 3 or 4 midfielders to account for the possibility of having 3 injured and one suspended at the same time becaus that happens a lot eh. 😏

Love sarcasm!

2 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

4th game in and our squad depth or lack of it is already showing signs in stretching, but what do we know?

4 players in the same position unavailable once McMaster goes off, how many midfielders do you expect us to sign? Including the 3 on the park that's 7 central midfielders, you don't think having 4 extra players in one position is enough? And if we applied that to every position we'd have a squad of 50 players.

There isn't a team in the country (except maybe the Old Firm) who could lose their 4 best central midfielders and not have to play some kind of inexperienced youngster in there.

4 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

No one is saying we should sign am extra 3 or 4 midfielders but anyone looking at our squad and sees anything but a slight lack of depth is mental imo.

For what it's worth we didn't disgrace ourselves today and keeping United to 2 after the start we had might be vital come the end of the season.

Nice 3 points for the tangerines.

We're obviously a bit short on depth.

Looking at the stats it seems Airdrie mounted a fightback in the 2nd half. So fair play to them. I think they will be a team to reach one of the play-off places.

That second half was dire from United.

Airdrie's keeper so far off his line he was in Dens most of the time. Should have been pressing to get the chance of a spill and do what Kai done.

First half was decent close affair between them but United seemed very disjointed to me today. Sign of a good team to play terrible at points and still win though.

A funny game that, United came out flying and we never looked settled at all, injury to McMaster early really didn't help at all. Once utd scored they were content to let the Airdrie back line have the ball, and really nullified the space for anything, and a few times we resorted to the long ball, and against Gallagher and Holt, there's only one winner. End of the first half we created a bit and arguably our best chance that McGregor missed.

Second half for all our possession we didn't really do anything and utd defender particularly well and deserved the clean sheet 

I'm definitely not disappointed with the performance, we gave a decent account of ourselves but that final wee decision in and around the box has to be a bit better.

As someone else said, our season won't be defined by games against utd, but I enjoyed my day tbf.