Dundee United v Airdrieonians

19 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Too be fair, apart from a couple of invasive roasters, most of the match threads of ours so far have been pretty decent (yes even the dunfermline one!). lets get back to the real business.....

Crowd funding page so Airdrie fans can attend?

Actually that’s a great crap play on ‘crowd funding’.

On 27/08/2023 at 20:34, Granny Danger said:

I remember an off the ball joke from about redacted years ago.

”I couldn’t decide between watching the football and watching the rugby so I compromised and went to watch Airdrie”.

Are they still a dirty team?

To answer your original question - no. I think the last thing you could accuse this Airdrie team of is being ‘dirty’ or ‘hatchet men’ or ‘cynical’ etc. We do pick up cards but that tends to be as a result of Josh Rae coming steaming off his line regardless of the score or circumstances (including being 5-1 up in a play-off semi-final first-leg) or an outfield player doing something daft. I’d like a destroyer type midfielder, and I think it would add something to this team even if they didn’t play every week, but McCabe has never, at least outwardly, identified that as being an issue and we’ve largely got by fine so far. So fair enough. We’ve got a very defined style of play #McCabeball so expect us to play out from the back, retaining and moving possession quickly (at our best), getting the ball out wide and just generally going for it. We scored 99 goals last season so when it works it is a joy to watch. And there can be the odd disaster which is a good laugh at least. 

We’ve had as a good a start to the season as we could have asked for really. 100% record in the League Cup group and took Ross County to extra-time and 6/9 points in our first three league games. Despite that, I’m not very hopeful about this game at all. Was always likely to be a tough ask but with Frizzell out, if McCabe and Telfer are also missing, I think it will be a bridge too far for our young and thus far impressive midfield. It feels a bit defeatist, and I wish I wasn’t so for a league game, but if we avoid a humping I’ll probably be content enough with that. Whatever happens it’ll be an interesting test to see how we stack up against the clear favourites for the league. 

All that being said, looking forward to shitfesting a 1-0 win from a Todorov header from 2 yards out. After Fordyce is sent due to cracking Louis Moult for being a Motherwell b*****d and red cards for David Hutton and Jim Goodwin paggering the tunnel at full-time. Both teams fined for bringing the game into disrepute. 

The last time I attended a match vs Airdrie was circa 1994, I think it was a cup game which others may be able to confirm. IIRC Utd won 2-0. 

None of my Utd fan school mates were going to the game, but a couple of Dees who I inexplicably hung around with went along. As it happened, I had recently purchased this classic Airdrie away shirt for a fiver from Intersport, so this was donned as I joined them in the away end.

1992-93 Airdrieonians Hummel Away Shirt M

I/we were very impressed with Airdrie in our 2-1 defeat. A very well drilled team with plenty of enthusiasm and creativity, they are many people's outside bet to be second to DU. They were very poor in our LC game at tannadice but seem to have got going since the league started. Dunno if it'll be a factor but Airdrie look the fittest team I've seen so far.

1 hour ago, Alert Mongoose said:

The Scott Fraser derby.  Bit of a boo-boys favourite at Utd but seems to have had a decent career in England.

I had totally forgotten about him.  A very talented player with the heart of a chicken; if an opposing player gave him a kick he’d disappear for the rest of the game.

Glad he’s doing well down south, stats off Wiki seem impressive.

24 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

And one of the best loans we've been lucky enough to have over the years 

We started that season with a midfield of Scott Gray, Joe Hamill, a very young Scott Stewart and Liam Watt, finished it with Scott Fraser, Ross Docherty and Marc Fitzpatrick (who started the season at centre back!). I know our recruitment can seem a bit slow at the moment but at least it’s better than when we just signed guff every summer, get ourselves into bother then finally sign some good players in January.