Motherwell v Saints 16 Sept 2023

5 hours ago, TheGreenElves said:

IMG_3904.thumb.jpeg.93910d995e3b9d3cc65d7f546ad81adb.jpeg.df9de2f86070f79c41ea1cd54c084986.jpeg

Gogic was a real warrior! He's some player and I would agree with what Robinson's said about him.

I enjoyed my day out, though after alighting at Motherwell Station one of the first things I noticed was dozens of Celtic fans waiting to get the train into Glasgow. Had a wee drink in a 'Sellick shap' and encountered more than a dozen more. C'est la vie.

Spoke to a few Well fans before the game, all very sound. Making my way to the ground I was slightly bemused by the very large police presence, which seemed multiple times larger than I see at home games.

As for the game, the stats speak for themselves:

Screenshot2023-09-1705_38_46.png.a8f085e43b45908b13a8f629c213873e.png

In the first half I was relieved to see Bair's effort go wide; time seemed to slow down and for a wee second it appeared it was going to creep in at the far post. It's fair to say Motherwell had the better of the chances and we rode our luck a little bit. I think Fraser (?) and Gogic did well to stop efforts in the box. I thought Hemming had a great game, too. 

Strain's cross and Tanser's finish were sublime and my heart was in my mouth during the VAR check, as it made me think something had been spotted that was going to overturn the goal.

We were a wee bit lucky to hold on, particularly with that late Motherwell effort striking the bar. For a split-second I thought they had equalised and my companion questioned whether it could have crossed the line, but I think he'd forgotten his glasses.

We were due a bit of luck after the Aberdeen game and ultimately there's only one stat that counts - goals: Motherwell 0 St. Mirren 1. 😁

I thought our fans were magnificent and the goal really lifted us. It was great to see the players' appreciation after the game, too.

It was a bit of a smash and grab from us, mainly because Motherwell missed some really good chances, I think Hemming only made one really good save that he put onto the bar that I can remember.

We still forced forced Kelly into a couple of smart saves too and Olusanya would have scored a 2nd if it wasn't for a brilliant block, so it wasn't as much of a smash and grab as say Motherwell's 1-0 in Paisley last season when yous scored the penalty and Liam Kelly turned into superman on speed.

Both teams tried to play football at times, we were better in the first half at that and went more direct in the 2nd half. 

Motherwell just lacked a Sutton or Higdon type yesterday, Shaw could and probably should have had a double.

Had Motherwell got a point I don't think anyone on here could have argued with that result but we managed the game a bit better than when we were 2-0 up at Easter Road and against Dundee.

I don't expect Motherwell to be in any sort of trouble and I'd hope we won't be either, for your sanity you lot need to finish above us this season 😂

6 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

Great result for St Mirren .  Motherwell were unlucky . Though I feel the fact that four St Mirren players were on international duty through the week and played in Mexico , Spain , Cyprus , Kzackstan , Slovakia which I think tired them as the game went on 

Motherwell had five players on international duty although Liam Kelly had to withdraw from the Scotland camp.

Motherwell were the better side, but not sure they were quite as dominant as some would have you believe. We had a couple of decent chances too.

I thought the goal was probably the only real bit of quality, there was some nice play from both teams that lacked a bit of cutting edge, but the the goal was an excellent delivery, followed by a really composed finish. So, you could argue we were worth our 3 points as we produced the only moment of real quality. 

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I don't expect Motherwell to be in any sort of trouble and I'd hope we won't be either, for your sanity you lot need to finish above us this season 😂

Tbh, with the amount of upheaval in the squad over the summer and having a couple of important players missing for a fair period, I'm just hoping for a comfortable 7th or 8th place finish with no stress or looking over our shoulders. 100% not fussed what dross ends up below us, although given all their talk and bigging themselves up, any of the city boys ending up there would be good for the lol's.

That Bair chance in the first half was almost a carbon copy of KVV's goal last season.

The difference yesterday was that whilst Carson stepped out too quickly and gave KVV a full half a goal to aim at, Hemming got his angles almost perfect and forced Bair to knock it the only place he could and thankfully it was just off target.

Happy that Hemming is proving himself and shutting doubters - myself included - up.

15 hours ago, TartanSpecial said:

One of those games.

Can't complain as my kids had a good day.

Had a chuckle at the StMirren emblazoned van getting gobbed on by passers by though. 

PSA whoever is driving it, wear gloves 😆 

Mental stimulation and indeed braincells clearly at a premium in Lanarkshire if a team of neds spitting on a van is classed as prime entertainment.

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

......... it wasn't as much of a smash and grab as say Motherwell's 1-0 in Paisley last season when yous scored the penalty ......

And wasn't the Motherwell penalty that day a questionable decision for handball by Tanser ?

Sweet revenge for him yesterday.

😁

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

It was a bit of a smash and grab from us, mainly because Motherwell missed some really good chances, I think Hemming only made one really good save that he put onto the bar that I can remember.

We still forced forced Kelly into a couple of smart saves too and Olusanya would have scored a 2nd if it wasn't for a brilliant block, so it wasn't as much of a smash and grab as say Motherwell's 1-0 in Paisley last season when yous scored the penalty and Liam Kelly turned into superman on speed.

Both teams tried to play football at times, we were better in the first half at that and went more direct in the 2nd half. 

Motherwell just lacked a Sutton or Higdon type yesterday, Shaw could and probably should have had a double.

Had Motherwell got a point I don't think anyone on here could have argued with that result but we managed the game a bit better than when we were 2-0 up at Easter Road and against Dundee.

😅 I think we will be ok this season. As you said just missing a striker.

Not much in the game yesterday. One bit of quality from St Mirren won the game 

12 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Excellent, controlled finish by Tanser.  Made it look easy but that is a great finish.

Glad they included the preposterous play-acting by the Well player at the end. He tried to turn, bamboozled himself, and simply fell over, but the desperate howls from the stands looking for a penalty are hugely entertaining.

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Mental stimulation and indeed braincells clearly at a premium in Lanarkshire if a team of neds spitting on a van is classed as prime entertainment.

You should see the crowds we get if a couple of junkies start fighting down the precinct. We've got all the highbrow entertainment you could wish for.

6 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Excellent, controlled finish by Tanser.  Made it look easy but that is a great finish.

Glad they included the preposterous play-acting by the Well player at the end. He tried to turn, bamboozled himself, and simply fell over, but the desperate howls from the stands looking for a penalty are hugely entertaining.

Don't think anyone seriously thought it was a pen, just the usual last minute desperation cries trying to influence the ref when you know your tea's oot.

Edited by 'WellDel
Typo

1 minute ago, 'WellDel said:

You should see the crowds we get if a couple of junkies start fighting down the precinct. We've got all the highbrow entertainment you could wish for.

Don't think anyone seriously thought it was a pen, just the usual last minute desperation cries trying to influence the ref when you know your tea's oot.

Aye, fair shout. We'd have been braying for it at the other end too.