Motherwell v Saints 16 Sept 2023

I remember going to Fir Park 30 odd years ago feeling quite confident at Motherwell had an injury crisis. The injury crisis was so bad they they had to throw in a 17 year old boy for his debut. I though, great, we should win this.

The boy was Phil O’Donnell, Motherwell won and I’m pretty sure we ended up getting relegated. 

3 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

Looking forward to getting this game out the road and we can have a nice, civilised discussion with **checks fixtures** Rangers fans next week. 

Our fixtures are a fucking riot next 3 weeks.

True story, Provan Sports that used to operate in Paisley also operated from Motherwell I believe.

Back when I was a wee boy, they had a shop in Paisley called Total Football and as soneone who was mad into football kits in my youth, I'd wear one all the time and was out kicking a ball morning and night so always had one on. I used to go check their clearance rack every week as some of their tops were as low as a fiver.

I got some absolute crackers from that clearance rack for next to heehaw (Ghana home top, Sheffield Wednesday 1996, Anderlecht with the big horrific Red G on the front) but the one that always stuck out to me was getting this for a fiver and it was a beauty.

1994-96-motherwell-home-shirt-29159-1.thumb.jpg.77192a566badbcde59dece519683e92c.jpg

To this day, the only Scottish club shirt I've ever owned that wasn't a Saints top.  I absolutely loved it and it would probably be worth a fortune nowadays.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

True story, Provan Sports that used to operate in Paisley also operated from Motherwell I believe.

Back when I was a wee boy, they had a shop in Paisley called Total Football and as soneone who was mad into football kits in my youth, I'd wear one all the time and was out kicking a ball morning and night so always had one on. I used to go check their clearance rack every week as some of their tops were as low as a fiver.

I got some absolute crackers from that clearance rack for next to heehaw (Ghana home top, Sheffield Wednesday 1996, Anderlecht with the big horrific Red G on the front) but the one that always stuck out to me was getting this for a fiver and it was a beauty.

1994-96-motherwell-home-shirt-29159-1.thumb.jpg.77192a566badbcde59dece519683e92c.jpg

To this day, the only Scottish club shirt I've ever owned that wasn't a Saints top.  I absolutely loved it and it would probably be worth a fortune nowadays.

One of my favourite, if not my favourite 'Well top of all time. A thing of beauty 😍

3 minutes ago, superwell87 said:

One of my favourite, if not my favourite 'Well top of all time. A thing of beauty 😍

For the record. Some of the other shirts that amazing wee shop sold me for a fiver.

Some of the best pocket money spends a 12 year old could make. Away up the town on a Saturday and coming back with a cracking or obscure top.

15627972_NjIwLTQ1My05MDNjODVlYzQw.webp

extra_football_shirt_23816_1.jpg

1996-97-anderlecht-home-shirt-12449-1.jpg

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

For the record. Some of the other shirts that amazing wee shop sold me for a fiver.

15627972_NjIwLTQ1My05MDNjODVlYzQw.webp

extra_football_shirt_23816_1.jpg

1996-97-anderlecht-home-shirt-12449-1.jpg

Love the Ghana top, and the Wednesday top is a classic and one that jumps out at me from 90s English football.

Just now, superwell87 said:

Love the Ghana top, and the Wednesday top is a classic and one that jumps out at me from 90s English football.

The Wednesday one (like Argentina away top from 1998 World Cup) was absolutely impossible to wear as the gold thread on underside of the badge was so coarse it was almost like plastic and could rip the fucking nipple clean off you.

30 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That's a favourite of many, very possibly because it was worn by probably the best team in the lives of most 'Well fans (perhaps excluding the generation old enough to remember the Ancell Babes). Worn by the likes of Arnott, Coyne and you may remember Lambert and Martin).

52 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I had one of the Admiral ones from the mid-seventies. We went through a phase of buying Admiral strips. I also had Spurs one and my mate had Leeds and Coventry ones.

image.png.b8464efffb4e99b671e83fe53843d39d.png

Edited by FTOF

I had a poster on my bedroom wall as a child in the 70's (my parents must have got it) with all the Admiral strips around the edges and an action photo in the middle. There really were some absolute crackers. Wish I'd kept it.

Edited by Archie McSquackle
Is that Gordon McQueen as number 5 in the picture?

6 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I had a poster on my bedroom wall as a child in the 70's (my parents must have got it) with all the Admiral strips around the edges and an action photo in the middle. There really were some absolute crackers. Wish I'd kept it.

image.png.e927dfe34b79fc604d7d9db16279a56e.png

image.gif.af5f43be027fb712778c28c331dbd320.gif

Edited by FTOF

6 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

We had Admiral for one season in the mid 90s and I'm sure that the home top (white with black pinstripes) was more or less a direct lift of a Coventry shirt from around 10 years prior and nobody noticed for several months.

6 minutes ago, FTOF said:

image.png.e927dfe34b79fc604d7d9db16279a56e.png

image.gif.af5f43be027fb712778c28c331dbd320.gif

For some reason the picture of the poster hadn't shown up when I was typing my previous reply. They must have produced different versions or my mind is playing tricks on me as I think mine was slightly different. I think that's the Wales one to the right of the logo at the bottom - another stoater.