Motherwell v Saints 16 Sept 2023

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

To those saying there’s nothing more painful than a wet, cold, heavy Mitre Mouldmaster smacking you in the baws’ on a freezing winter’s day on a blaes pitch in the 1970’s, during school P.E. with you being sent out in sub-zero temperatures while wearing cheap black gutties and wafer-thin shorts and a top….. I was going to suggest reading the St Mirren v Dundee thread again. However, while it was bad, it cannot compare to the Mouldmaster scenario. Been there. Done that. Johnstone High, 1974-1978. Prime era mouldmaster/blaes/get fcuking out there or you’re getting six of it, and it’s Mr Steele, who can really draw it.

Now I could say ‘didn’t do me any harm’…. Anyone got a nail brush handy? Just discovered a bit of embedded blaes in my right leg. Wondered why it was sore.

I had completely forgot about the nail brush, probably blocked it out, thanks PTSD has returned.

Sitting in a cold bath as you had no hot water left getting the nail brush scrubbed through the ‘wee graze’ on your thigh. I can still feel the pain 35-40 years later. 

1 hour ago, Dosser1886 said:

Used to play in goals at the old Watsonvile blaes park where the new ASDA is. Nothing like diving about on a frozen near concrete surface, the pain of the toed ball getting smacked off of you, and to add to the experience staving your finger trying to catch the fucker mouldmaster when it was fired at you. Yeah good times....Watsonville also had a nice sprinkling of smashed buckie bottles to avoid as well. Scrubbling out of the grazes was essential given that combo afterwards.

Played on that a few times back in the day, too. There was also a black ash pitch in Blantyre that I did myself some awfy damage on once. Dived into a full on slide tackle, won the ball but walked about with my trousers sticking to my weeping leg for about a fortnight after. 

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but we didn’t have ash pitches in Paisley did we? Think that was more of a Glasgow thing was it not? Certainly never remember playing on an ash pitch. Only blaes.

Although at Foxbar Primary (now Herriot) we were one of the few schools in Paisley (if not the only one) to have a snazzy grass pitch and goal posts with actual nets 🤣.

All came to a crashing blaes end though when I moved up to Camphill. 

39 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but we didn’t have ash pitches in Paisley did we? Think that was more of a Glasgow thing was it not? Certainly never remember playing on an ash pitch. Only blaes.

Although at Foxbar Primary (now Herriot) we were one of the few schools in Paisley (if not the only one) to have a snazzy grass pitch and goal posts with actual nets 🤣.

At Merksworth we had 2 full size football pitches and 3 hockey pitches in blaes and a huge grass pitch used mainly for rugby.

Ash, blaes, Livingston’s plastic…. All bloody rubbish. 😎

Reading some of the Motherwell boys posts makes me think that going to school in Lanarkshire in the 70s was a similar experience to Renfrewshire in the 70s. Something about a steeltown in the 1970s though… I can only imagine some of the amateur fitba’ that went on in the Motherwell area of a Saturday morning. Would most likely make the Ayrshire Juniors look like a garden party. 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

At Merksworth we had 2 full size football pitches and 3 hockey pitches in blaes and a huge grass pitch used mainly for rugby.

Aye, same at Camphill. Our rugby pitch was grass too. 
That affected me in no way whatsoever. Even when we were on the rugby cycle at games, I had an unusually high number of bad caulds and dentist appointments. 🤣

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

fergies st mirren used to train on the blaes pitch at ralston 

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember East Fulton primary had a black ash pitch.

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Our ash park was red?  It sometimes got called blaes.  Are these the same thing?

3 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Race course used to have a couple of red ash pitches. St Mirin’s High had one also. 

53 minutes ago, greenock saint said:

There was the 4 parks opposite Stanley Green 1 of them was blaes at the Glenburn end. Amochrie primary used to use the 1st grass pitch back in the day. Had to walk along the old track behind the Firs.

Yeah sorry, when I said Foxbar was probably the only grass pitch in Paisley I was referring to primary schools.