Motherwell v Saints 16 Sept 2023

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Yeah sorry, when I said Foxbar was probably the only grass pitch in Paisley I was referring to primary schools. 

Didn’t mean post to come across that way mate I knew you meant primary schools. Was more pointing out the braes pitch and remembering Amochrie using the grass back in the 60s. Used to have plenty kick abouts on that Foxbar pitch as a youngster.

1 hour ago, ropy said:

Our ash park was red?  It sometimes got called blaes.  Are these the same thing?

I'd say that they were.

Just depended how well looked after they were.

The decent ones were raked by a tractor at regular intervals and new blaes added. e.g. St.Cuthbert's (Spateston) 

However, some that weren't as well looked after became compacted and were like "red concrete" e.g. JNHS and St.Luke's HS (in Barrhead) pitches.

Stoddard's (Elderslie) and Ralston (both floodlit) fell somewhere in between IMO.

Stoddard's had grass laid on it a number of years ago and Ralston is now where the 5G pitch in our training ground is located.

Most of the Paisley area blaes pitches were at schools that no longer exist or ones that have had new builds to replace old school estates, and they all have "artificial grass" pitches.

There are certainly none in use today. I can't even think of any that have fallen into disrepair, that haven't been built over.

Edited by FTOF

From article on the BBC reviewing the season so far.

Guaranteed 0-0 draw on Saturday.:rolleyes:

Clinical Motherwell & St Mirren

Motherwell's Stuart Kettlewell and St Mirren counterpart Stephen Robinson are probably the only two managers who will feel they are getting the most from their squad right now.

Both sides are clearly well coached and organised, but the standout point from both is just how lethal they have been so far in front of goal.

St Mirren are the joint top scorers, alongside Celtic, with eight goals. Their chance conversion rate of 18% is the highest of any side.

The fact they have scored eight times with an expected goals (xG) rating of 5.4 underlines just how clinical they have been. In other words, they have found the net more times than you would expect based on the quality of the chances they've created.

Motherwell have also overperformed their xG rating of 4.6 in netting six times, while their conversion rate is the third best in the division. The obvious question is whether that level of output is sustainable for both sides over a longer period. We'll soon find out.

37 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

By the way, the white mouldmasters were netballs.

Fitbas were orange. 

Yer right. Memory not what it used to be. I’ll adjust the image!

Perhaps I thought that they started out white brand new and ended up orange from the blaes! 😂 

11 hours ago, welldaft said:

It is easy to see that the lad in blue slipped whilst making the challenge. Good choice of clip to show an almost identical challenge. If anything Dunnes was worse and even more cynical. 

Absolutely! I wonder who's going to get Dunne in this Saturday? 🧑‍🦽

Screenshot2023-09-1421_32_41.png.b4e8aeda032dd01acb9d5193593c3f86.png

We're joint top scorers, yet I have felt we have squandered so many chances as it is.

Some stats, courtesy of the BBC:

Screenshot2023-09-1421_35_42.png.7e3a00bfa549f3203121709096c1af2d.png

So Motherwell have won three of the last four home games, with us drawing the other. 😬

18 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Absolutely! I wonder who's going to get Dunne in this Saturday? 🧑‍🦽

Screenshot2023-09-1421_32_41.png.b4e8aeda032dd01acb9d5193593c3f86.png

We're joint top scorers, yet I have felt we have squandered so many chances as it is.

Some stats, courtesy of the BBC:

Screenshot2023-09-1421_35_42.png.7e3a00bfa549f3203121709096c1af2d.png

So Motherwell have won three of the last four home games, with us drawing the other. 😬

I don’t know what a take on is 

48 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Spittal and Blaney were both training yesterday, so hopefully both will be involved tomorrow.

To be honest with you, we have out own problems. Strain and Baccus will possibly be a bit jet-lagged, plus Gogic and McMenamin played midweek and have had to travel back from abroad.

Red blaes was a by-product of shale mining, shale was mined and then heated to produce shale oil. I assume black ash was a by-product of the coal mining but both were generally referred to as ash parks (going up the ashy).

I don't think I ever saw an orange mould-master, always white. Pretty sure they were footballs and not netballs though!

14 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

Red blaes was a by-product of shale mining, shale was mined and then heated to produce shale oil. I assume black ash was a by-product of the coal mining but both were generally referred to as ash parks (going up the ashy).

I don't think I ever saw an orange mould-master, always white. Pretty sure they were footballs and not netballs though!

Pretty sure the ones we had at Johnstone High were the orange ones. Orange or white, scary fcukers… I think Mitre took old cannonballs from the wars against the Spanish Armada and simply re-painted them.

A3C5B6A0-8945-4A38-AF7D-28B8CC767ACF.jpeg

The other thing that sticks in my mind in addition to the pain, is the echoey "ping" noise they made when you kicked them.

Add me to the list of people who still have scars/weird marks caused by ash pitches!