Harvey Barnes

Not really bothered, if Clarke wants to call him up that’s his call, I doubt he considers himself Scottish considering he’s played for England but only he knows how he feels. Ultimately we’re a small country with a small pool of players and we need to use every player available to us or we’re at a disadvantage against other countries who will.
Gunn and Adams took us as their second choice and Gunn’s father was a Scotland International.  I’m sure most would like to have a squad full of proud Scots but in reality we need a squad of good players. There’s plenty born here who hate the National team and plenty born outside with Scottish family who consider themselves to be Scottish and proud of it. Is Barnes a proud Scot? Probably not but if he can do a job for us like others have in the past then fine, he’ll need to realize he’s not walking into that starting eleven though. 

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Matteo was born in Dunfries, I believe, and developed a chronic illness towards the end of his playing days.   Ritchie got divorced and decided seeing his kids was more important than international football.  

No idea why you brought up Barry Ferguson.   Why not mention Robert Snodgrass?

Barry pulled out of more squads than care to remember 

Ritchie couldn't be fucked and signed up for us when a second tier Bournemouth player to raise his profile,  job done

There are clearly multiple categories of "dual nationality" players who are playing for us here, and Barnes would be in the same boat as the likes of Ritchie, Morrison, Commons, Adams etc where it is definitely a convenience aspect rather than a lifelong dream. It doesn't mean they're not going to turn out well for us, but it means it's definitely reasonable to have initial question marks over their motivation, especially if they only join up when things start going well.

I don't think it makes any sense to compare them to guys who have always chosen to play for Scotland like Cooper, McTominay, McBurnie or Alexander, and especially not to guys who were brought up in Scotland, but who happened to be born elsewhere, like Tierney, Maloney or Fletcher.

Clarke will get it right though, he will see straight through any bullshitters, and I doubt he'll bring in anyone that will upset the balance of the squad.

Edited by craigkillie

The only point I'm making is they can't all be like McQueen who in older age, rip, said he still wasn't retired and would play for Scotland tomorrow 

So whether Scottish or not or born here or not they all have different levels of commitment from Law levels down to Ritchie 

So give Harvey Barnes a go if we wants to,  for me

I have absolutely no problem with 'granny qualifiers' at all, but the timing here stinks a bit. If he had decided he was Scottish this time last year, I would have no problem welcoming him with open arms. Now that we're a shoo in for the Euros and he's coincidentally not getting anywhere near the England squad... not so much.

19 minutes ago, Paxo said:

I have absolutely no problem with 'granny qualifiers' at all, but the timing here stinks a bit. If he had decided he was Scottish this time last year, I would have no problem welcoming him with open arms. Now that we're a shoo in for the Euros and he's coincidentally not getting anywhere near the England squad... not so much.

Is this not literally the exact same thing that Che Adams did though? Wasn't interested until we qualified for Euro 2020 but I don't think you could doubt his commitment now.

1 hour ago, Ron Aldo said:

The only way to settle this is to get Barnes in the squad for Tuesday night. He then has to score and run to the England fans doing an Adebayor style celebration. 

If this doesn't happen, we move on. 

7 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Comme ça...

I don’t think this has come completely out of the blue. As I mentioned a while back on the Is Newcastle Scottish thread, it was reported last season that Clarke and Carver had attended a Leicester City EPL match (may have been against Palace, IIRC), which was notable by the fact that Barnes was the only obviously Scotland-eligible player on both sides. At that point, I fully expected Barnes would be named in the next squad. As it happens he wasn’t, but I doubt Clarke and Carver would have been there if there hadn’t been some intimation that Barnes was open to switching, or at least an ongoing attempt on their part to persuade him to do so. I think Barnes has been on Clarke’s radar for a while.

Edited by Frankie S