Ayr United v Raith Rovers - 30/09/23

Ayr come into this having gained a bit of confidence trouncing (an albeit suicidal) Queens Park.  Dowds looking like a good addition and a good partner for Rose with Murphy and Chalmers stepping up.  Still not looking too great defensively and not many options to change that.  Would expect the same 11 as Friday, maybe Senga in for Young for a bit more physicality.

Raith started the season well, but a disappointing defeat away to Airdrie there last time out so will be looking to bounce back.  Seems Murray is the tinker man of the Championship and doesn't know his best 11/forward line.

Going for a basketball game of back and forward and a 2-2 draw, Murphy and Dowds for Ayr.

Tough one this. Saturday was the first time we've brought on players and not really seen much of an impact. Ayr should be full of confidence after tanking Queens Park and Somerset has never been a happy hunting ground for us.

With that said, there's more than enough talent in our squad to be able to win this game if we can play to a good standard. 

Same questions as always: will Ayr take their chances, will Raith exploit an unreliable defence.

The same Ayr side will start as last time because Bullen never changes a winning formula. On that front, expect the usual selection of like-for-like subs in the last quarter, when it will either be an opportunity for fresh legs or too late to change things (delete as appropriate).

Games like this are where the points should be coming from if it's not going to be another relegation battle.

6 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Same questions as always: will Ayr take their chances, will Raith exploit an unreliable defence.

The same Ayr side will start as last time because Bullen never changes a winning formula. On that front, expect the usual selection of like-for-like subs in the last quarter, when it will either be an opportunity for fresh legs or too late to change things (delete as appropriate).

Games like this are where the points should be coming from if it's not going to be another relegation battle.

Yeah, it is an absolute guarantee that we will line up with the same side. I don’t know too much about how Raith play this season, so I don’t have have much of an idea if that is a good idea or not. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

Yeah, it is an absolute guarantee that we will line up with the same side. I don’t know too much about how Raith play this season, so I don’t have have much of an idea if that is a good idea or not. 

TBF, I don't think we even know what our best set up is yet. We've been successful with 4-2-3-1 but the consensus is we've done very well to get the points on board despite poor performances at points. 

Just now, Broken Algorithms said:

TBF, I don't think we even know what our best set up is yet. We've been successful with 4-2-3-1 but the consensus is we've done very well to get the points on board despite poor performances at points. 

I think my main concern in terms of our set up against you, is having two inexperienced central midfielders and poor full backs against the quality of player you have in that three - as well as the central midfielders being very good too. That was generally my concern in these type of games last season too though. 

I would possibly be tempted to go 4-3-3 with Dowds as the focal point for us in this to attempt to compete in the middle of the park. If we don’t we will struggle hugely against Byrne and Brown IMO. 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think my main concern in terms of our set up against you, is having two inexperienced central midfielders and poor full backs against the quality of player you have in that three - as well as the central midfielders being very good too. That was generally my concern in these type of games last season too though. 

I would possibly be tempted to go 4-3-3 with Dowds as the focal point for us in this to attempt to compete in the middle of the park. If we don’t we will struggle hugely against Byrne and Brown IMO. 

Brown had his poorest game for us on Saturday. Generally he and Byrne have been excellent together but for whatever reason they couldn't seem to get to grips with the game.

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Amusingly, the exact reverse may well be the same question if Saturday. If Watson’s concern keeps him out, we have the choice of Masson at CB or move Dick to CB and put McGill or Hannah on at LB…neither move engenders confidence, although McGill has generally done well. Will Raith take their chances could well be the season’s theme so far.

This feels like an acid test now, as mentioned above we were somewhat gifted by the really bizarre highline playing out from the back at all times style of QP. I'd be happy with a green shoots competitive score draw here, would obviously love to see us take all 3 points. Bullen needs to show Friday wasn't a fluke or the knives will be straight back out. 

A tough match for Rovers I feel. Think we should get McGill in at left back and go with the more experienced players elsewhere in defence. We should be fairly solid with Byrne and Brown in front of them. Higher up the pitch, Stanton must play the 10, Mullin has to start showing more than a touch then whip it into the box early mentality (maybe Vaughany gets a chance there?) and big Jack is getting better every week. 

We will see what this team is about on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

I think I've seen us win there twice, and once was under Gary Locke. 

Did we not play them with Ryan Stevenson in goals at Somerset under yogi? I'm starting to buy in to Bobby Barr saying we would have stayed up if locke wasn't punted *shudders"

2 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Did we not play them with Ryan Stevenson in goals at Somerset under yogi? I'm starting to buy in to Bobby Barr saying we would have stayed up if locke wasn't punted *shudders"

Aye, same season. 

We played them right at the start of the season and both of the Rosses (Matthews and Callaghan) got on the score sheet if I remember correctly. 

As for Locke, we'd have just kicked the can down the road. If we'd held on, it's hard to see where we'd have improved. 

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:

You did and you only lost one zip.