Ayr United v Raith Rovers - 30/09/23

1 minute ago, Jilted John said:

I’m a bit worried at this lineup and personnel. A formation and starting eleven that we haven’t seen before. Also not overly happy that Hamilton has presumably been the fall guy for last week. If we get a win then it’s a genius move but I’m not too confident now.

Hamilton went off with a knock last week, i'm assuming he's not fully fit. Not convinced there is any fall guy, nor should there be

2 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Largely self inflicted this time, it has to be said. With the size of squad we have, to be starting a midfielder at centre half is mental. Think we'll struggle massively without Hamilton, too.

Still a lot of good players on the park for the Rovers, but I think this game hinges entirely on whether or not Ayr are competent or not. 

Going forward, Murphy and Chalmers are very good on the wings.

Defensively on the other hand Raith will get chances, our defence does not inspire confidence.

17 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Can only assume Hamilton isn’t 100% fit, can be the only reason for him to be on the bench after playing well the last couple of games.

Looks like the usual 4-2-3-1 but with Brown into centre back?

Dabrowski

Millen    
Brown    
Murray    
Dick

Byrne   
Stanton

Mullin     
Vaughan    
Easton

Smith

Could also be the 4-1-3-2 we seen earlier in the season with Stanton and Vaughan both pushed up one.

Could be neither, with a variant of the 3-4-3 (3-4-1-2 or 3-2-3-2 perhaps?). Three across the back, Brown and Byrne with Mullin and Easton providing width, Stanton withdrawn behind Vaughan and Smith

3 minutes ago, grumswall said:

Wouldn't be surprised to see a return to the 4132 today but it would make more sense for stanton to be dropping back into browns holding role. 

Individually, Stanton is better as a 10, but I wonder if the team might not benefit from his drive in a deeper position.

Easy to say it with hindsight, but looking back to Airdrie, with the similarities between Brown and Byrne and the fact that neither exactly shone, would we have been better off with Stanton further back? Quite possibly. 

I just struggle to see placing Brown at CB with McGill available to let Dick slide inside (insert joke here). Add to that Masson available too, and Hannah, for that matter, and it doesn’t add up. Judging by Ayr’s reported problems at the back, 2 up top is surely called for.

Brown for Watson in a flat back four…Mullin with Byrne in front of them…Vaughan up top (per Davie and Kirsteen on RaithTV).

Ian Grieve sees it differently on RaithTV: “Smith CF, Vaughan CF/AM, Easton LW, Stanton and Byrne CM, Mullin RW, Dick LB Murray LCB, Brown RCB, Millen RBl

Edited by TxRover