Ayr United v Raith Rovers - 30/09/23

Give Murray his due, dropping Hamilton and going for fast quick interplay up front with every player swapping positions worked a treat. Excellent 1st half display.

2nd half we knew Ayr would come out fighting, and they did it well up to a point. Once they realised we wouldn't back down from their physicality they popped back into their shells and we saw the game out. 

Special praise for Shaun Byrne - my man of the match. What a shift as the sole holding player today. He's a guy you love to hate in opposition but as your player you can see the experience he brings to breaking up the opponent's play. You have to admire the way he "obtains" fouls too 🤣

25 minutes ago, pantene proV said:

Give Murray his due, dropping Hamilton and going for fast quick interplay up front with every player swapping positions worked a treat. Excellent 1st half display.

2nd half we knew Ayr would come out fighting, and they did it well up to a point. Once they realised we wouldn't back down from their physicality they popped back into their shells and we saw the game out. 

Special praise for Shaun Byrne - my man of the match. What a shift as the sole holding player today. He's a guy you love to hate in opposition but as your player you can see the experience he brings to breaking up the opponent's play. You have to admire the way he "obtains" fouls too 🤣

Don’t disagree with your comments about Byrne but as the weeks go by I can’t help but wondering why Sam Stanton isnt keeping De Bruyne out that Man City team.

57 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Game of two halves that.

1st half we looked fantastic, pressing with two or three players rather than the non existent pressing last Saturday. Passing was sharp and two lovely goals.

Felt we needed a 3rd and it proved correct..almost. The way to play Ayr was exactly how it was done in the 1st - ball on the deck. They’re full of giant specimens and we lost our way a little. Big Kev gained us a point with an outstanding fingertip save but he was the sole reason there was panic and unease amongst our support / players with his hesitancy and some poor kicking. 

Stanton is class, Easton is special and Byrne is quietly becoming an absolute standout. 

Based on their 2nd half performance I don’t see Ayr being in trouble.

BTW why do Ayr use 3 year old toddlers as ball boys who don’t actually fetch the ball. Nobody behind big Kev in the 1st half until you went 2-0 down.

I have no idea how we are a team of giant specimens. I imagine we would have had three outfield players above 6 feet, and even at that Musonda barely is. 

22 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I have no idea how we are a team of giant specimens. I imagine we would have had three outfield players above 6 feet, and even at that Musonda barely is. 

We're a pretty small team compared to most once you take Hamilton out the equation. 

8 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Big shout to Ayr for keeping everyone in the stand, first time we've had a decent atmosphere down there.

Big call with the lineup, but that first half was superb and the best we've played all season.

Think the rain kept most folk in the stand, from the highlights still a good few in the terrace

19 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Loving the boos at the second goal 😂😂

Prefer the shout of “come on they’re tasking the piss, come on” right as we score the 1st goal. Very good passing display during the first half..  game should have been put to bed by halftime with a 3rd but we didn’t manage to grab it. Ayr game out fighting second half as you expect and grabbed a goal back. Ref was utterly shite and totally lost the plot at times during the match.  A vast improvement over the last two games and while Ayr are down near the bottom they just put 5 past Queen Park so coming away with 3 points is a good days work.  Tough game next week against Dundee Utd.