Ayr United v Raith Rovers - 30/09/23

On 28/09/2023 at 14:13, Shibuya said:

Red Lion is alright but I'm not sure it would be at the top of my recommendation list for Prestwick.

Vic's is a lot nicer and has the big screen up, Golf Inn is always nice but not great for sports, Pioneer to satisfy that 'Spoons desire, Buf if you're under 21 and Caprice if you're rich. 

Bit ironic.

2 hours ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

Interested to see how Murray chooses to line up for this one. Impossible to know what sort of performance to expect from Ayr this season either.

I’d take a scrappy 1-0 back to Kirkcaldy, all day long.

Aye, not terribly confident about getting any kind of result today.  Think Smith has to start and still think we need a tactical rethink after last week, not so much in terms of shape but need to be more agressive in pressing the ball, and getting more support to Hamilton.

Would take a draw.

Really don't know what to expect here. Raith have started well bar a poor result last week while we should hopefully have a bit of momentum after last week. Think it will be a decent game which is disappointing as I can't make it today, we definitely have it in us to win here, but will more likely be a score draw.

Raith will absolutely cause our full backs more problems that QP did. I also fancy their midfield to run over the top of whatever combination we put out. 

We have to try and get the ball wide at every opportunity as Murphy and Chalmers is the best way for us to win games at the minute. Hopefully Dowds and Rose can continue scoring. 

1 hour ago, renton said:

Aye, not terribly confident about getting any kind of result today.  Think Smith has to start and still think we need a tactical rethink after last week, not so much in terms of shape but need to be more agressive in pressing the ball, and getting more support to Hamilton.

Would take a draw.

The press is interesting. I thought it was quite an astute response to sit off Airdrie's backline on Saturday there, in as much as it was clearly what they wanted. If you look at the goal, you can see how quick they can move the ball once they've pulled a gap. To only have one or two chasing meant the Rovers were retaining shape and made that really difficult. 

That said, I do think we could sustain a good press. With the two holding midfielders and somewhat reticent full-backs, the four in front should be able to press without fear of leaving huge gaps behind. I'm just not entirely sure what it gives you with this team. Are we set up to make the most of turning over the ball high up the park? Maybe not with Hamilton still to find his shooting boots. 

Getting more support to Hamilton is absolutely key, though. With the 4-2-3-1 I think we're still keeping both wide players wide most of the time, and I'm not sure it's helping. Assuming Josh Mullin is on the park, because he's the starkest example, you've got a proper right winger. Your left sided wide forward, for me, should then be tucked inside, playing more on the shoulder of Hamilton alongside the 10, rather than stationed out wide by default. 

When we've faced teams with a back four, it's very rare that we're occupying both centre halfs at the same time. That's what I'd like to see more of, more engagement of the opposition defence at their 18 yard line or deeper. We're still playing a huge amount of football 25 yards from goal. 

17 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

The press is interesting. I thought it was quite an astute response to sit off Airdrie's backline on Saturday there, in as much as it was clearly what they wanted. If you look at the goal, you can see how quick they can move the ball once they've pulled a gap. To only have one or two chasing meant the Rovers were retaining shape and made that really difficult. 

That said, I do think we could sustain a good press. With the two holding midfielders and somewhat reticent full-backs, the four in front should be able to press without fear of leaving huge gaps behind. I'm just not entirely sure what it gives you with this team. Are we set up to make the most of turning over the ball high up the park? Maybe not with Hamilton still to find his shooting boots. 

Getting more support to Hamilton is absolutely key, though. With the 4-2-3-1 I think we're still keeping both wide players wide most of the time, and I'm not sure it's helping. Assuming Josh Mullin is on the park, because he's the starkest example, you've got a proper right winger. Your left sided wide forward, for me, should then be tucked inside, playing more on the shoulder of Hamilton alongside the 10, rather than stationed out wide by default. 

When we've faced teams with a back four, it's very rare that we're occupying both centre halfs at the same time. That's what I'd like to see more of, more engagement of the opposition defence at their 18 yard line or deeper. We're still playing a huge amount of football 25 yards from goal. 

I think this side has to press. I get the logic of dropping off, and it worked against QP, but with that side's naive defending we were able to put the ball over the top with ease and therefore transition into attack.

Last week, yeah we'd drop off to defend but then the lines between midfield and attack had stretched and we struggled to move the ball quickly. It didnt help tbat Brown was badly off it, either.

With a double pivot we should be able to press sides higher up the park, and to get the most out of Hamilton we need to be playing in behind or close the byeline and getting him central, which likely means winning the ball higher up the park.

We probably do need something out of this game as with Dundee United next week, we could be looking at losing three on the bounce, which just generates its own pressure.

Edited by renton

Can only assume Hamilton isn’t 100% fit, can be the only reason for him to be on the bench after playing well the last couple of games.

Looks like the usual 4-2-3-1 but with Brown into centre back?

Dabrowski

Millen    
Brown    
Murray    
Dick

Byrne   
Stanton

Mullin     
Vaughan    
Easton

Smith

Could also be the 4-1-3-2 we seen earlier in the season with Stanton and Vaughan both pushed up one.

Just now, Raith Against The Machine said:

Raith Rovers play at Somerset Park without ridiculous selection issues challenge (IMPOSSIBLE) 

Largely self inflicted this time, it has to be said. With the size of squad we have, to be starting a midfielder at centre half is mental. Think we'll struggle massively without Hamilton, too.

Still a lot of good players on the park for the Rovers, but I think this game hinges entirely on whether or not Ayr are competent or not.