Dundee United v Queen’s Park - Saturday 30 September 2023 at 3.00pm

So far this season we have scored 17 goals in all competitions.  Tony Watt has scored none of them.

So far this season we have had 13 players with assists in all competitions.  None of them is Tony Watt.

I hope by full time today at least one of these stats has changed.

Just now, Alert Mongoose said:

Surely a red?

Certainly a high foot.

I’ve been impressed by Queens; tidy on the ball and very composed.  I thought their high line would give us more chances to get in behind but it’s not happened.

Glad Watt has finally scored though it will probably help persuade the club we don’t need any other cover for Moult.

3 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Surely a red?

Aye, looked a rotten tackle to me.

Overall happy enough to be level at half time. Although I thought we reacted well initially to going behind early, for the 1st 30 mins or so there were spells where we chasing shadows and QP were breezing through us. Last 15 mins have been better. We've created a good few chances. I was convinced Holt was going to score with that bullet header from a corner.

On 26/09/2023 at 11:17, Anonymous Spider said:

Hearing this for the first time on the radio on the way back down the road is my lasting memory from that game…

I didn't know Justin was a Spiders fan? 

From an opposition fan's perspective, I was impressed with Queens Park. Tried to play football throughout and kept going right to the end. A more cynical team might have tried to kill the game at 1-0 or even 1-1 but Queens just kept trying to play the right way. There was no diving, feigning injury, time wasting, wrestling, kicking, etc. It was refreshing. Made for an open, honest game. Very good goal for Queens too. Good attacking play rather than poor defending,  imo.

The converse view is, of course, too trite to mention so I won't.  Genuinely wish Queens well and I hope they don't suffer too badly for their honesty.

For United,  I thought we responded quite well for 10 minutes after losing the early goal but then sat off too much for the nect 20/25. Watt and Middleton very poor during that period. Then one great ball from Glass to set up Middleton and everything changed for the pair of them.   Both much better thereafter and the confidence seemed to do them the world of good. 

Comfortable win in the end and some very good performances from the back 7, Glass and Fotheringham.  Two goals and three assists from Watt and Middleton too so can't say they were poor either (apart from that sustained period when both were very poor). Will this be the game which propels them forward to the level of the rest of the team? I remain to be convinced but you can't argue with the goal contributions today.

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

There was no diving, feigning injury, time wasting, wrestling, kicking

As bad as it sounds, we miss that type of player in our team massively. Nobody to calm the game down when we’re up against it, nobody there to buy a few fouls to disrupt the flow or kill United’s momentum. We may be easy on the eye on certain occasions but we’re so soft, it simply won’t work at this level of football 

Just now, qpfc said:

As bad as it sounds, we miss that type of player in our team massively. Nobody to calm the game down when we’re up against it, nobody there to buy a few fouls to disrupt the flow or kill United’s momentum. We may be easy on the eye on certain occasions but we’re so soft, it simply won’t work at this level of football 

Yeah, man. Totally agree. It was just refreshing not to be playing against a team of cheating arseholes.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

I need to see it again but I thought at the time our defending for the Queens goal was very poor.

Dunno. Holt did well to win a challenge and play the ball forward but it broke to a Queens' player and then it was one good ball forward, quick cross and tidy finish from the edge of the box. Every goal's preventable but that looked more like good attacking play than poor defending to me.

Could be wrong though.

Just now, Pull My Strings said:

Dunno. Holt did well to win a challenge and play the ball forward but it broke to a Queens' player and then it was one good ball forward, quick cross and tidy finish from the edge of the box. Every goal's preventable but that looked more like good attacking play than poor defending to me.

Could be wrong though.

As I say I need to see it again but it looked like our players were facing their own goal and no one was paying attention to Thomson.