Dundee United v Queen’s Park - Saturday 30 September 2023 at 3.00pm

Queens have had a strange start to the season; three straight wins followed by four defeats.  There’s only one game they’ve failed to score in too and the lad Paton is joint top scorer in the league to date.

I’m hoping Moult is fit for us and if so I don’t see to many changes to the starting XI from the ICT game.  Otherwise maybe try Middleton as the main striker and bring in Fotheringham to start.  Far from optimal but no worse than the other options.

I’m also hopeful that the defence can carry on their sterling work to date.

Edited by Granny Danger

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Queens have had a strange start to the season; three straight wins followed by four defeats.  There’s only one game they’ve failed to score in too and the lad Paton is joint top scorer in the league to date.

It's the trend and the nature of the last two defeats that's the issue.  

Wasn't convinced we'd get a result against Rovers, was more hopeful against the Pars and thought the Ayr game was going to be one to get us back on track.  Hopefully if I state openly we're getting pumped here, Veldman will have had an epiphany/sturdy knock to the head and start playing people in their natural positions rather than trying to be all Dutch & over-complicated about things.

All that said, £40 for me and the boy, potentially £45 if I take my daughter too; rather steep?

Just now, Spider1975 said:

It's the trend and the nature of the last two defeats that's the issue.  

Wasn't convinced we'd get a result against Rovers, was more hopeful against the Pars and thought the Ayr game was going to be one to get us back on track.  Hopefully if I state openly we're getting pumped here, Veldman will have had an epiphany/sturdy knock to the head and start playing people in their natural positions rather than trying to be all Dutch & over-complicated about things.

All that said, £40 for me and the boy, potentially £45 if I take my daughter too; rather steep?

Can’t say I know much about Queens but managers who play players out of position really does my head in.

Also I’m disappointed that it’s taken two replies before anyone refers to the shockingly high prices we are charging for admission.  I hope you do bring both your kids, it will be an experience for them attending a footballing Mecca such as Tannadice.  Make sure your budget allows the whole family to indulge in the culinary delights of a peh at half time, a bargain at on £6.50 each (£1.50 extra for a sachet of sauce).

7 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Can’t say I know much about Queens but managers who play players out of position really does my head in.

Also I’m disappointed that it’s taken two replies before anyone refers to the shockingly high prices we are charging for admission.  I hope you do bring both your kids, it will be an experience for them attending a footballing Mecca such as Tannadice.  Make sure your budget allows the whole family to indulge in the culinary delights of a peh at half time, a bargain at on £6.50 each (£1.50 extra for a sachet of sauce).

Never been to Tannadice and looking forward to going if I can stretch the budget this week - went to your neighbours last year and that truly was dreadful!

1 minute ago, Spider1975 said:

Never been to Tannadice and looking forward to going if I can stretch the budget this week - went to your neighbours last year and that truly was dreadful!

Everything about our ‘neighbours’ is dreadful.  Their fans, their stadium, their fans, their pitch, their fans, their ‘facilities’,  their fans, their style of football and their fans.

Not to mention their fans.

2 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Everything about our ‘neighbours’ is dreadful.  Their fans, their stadium, their fans, their pitch, their fans, their ‘facilities’,  their fans, their style of football and their fans.

And their songbook that sounds nothing like another big Glasgow club’s. 😉

1 minute ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

And their songbook that sounds nothing like another big Glasgow club’s. 😉

Ah.  Whatever my criticisms of the Funsters are I think their is a misinterpretation of their songs.  Particularly in reference to ‘the Derry’ which does not have the same meaning or connotations as those of Scotland’s newest club and its predecessor.  Unfortunately it is often interpreted such.

Every club has its ned element, including my own, but I have never experienced bigotry from Dundee supporters beyond that tiny ned element.

On a different note, I love your avatar Number Six.  I’m of an age to remember the series when it originally aired; well ahead of its time.

”I am not a number, I am an old man”.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

God they were a bit odd. Don't miss them.

Not optimistic about this week's game at all and the system we have played the last few weeks does not instil me with any confidence. Sad to say I doubt I will be making the trip on this occasion.

Back in the 1950s when we were getting hammered by everyone my mum used to joke by encouraging me to take a piece of string to Hampden and tie a knot in it every time the opposition scored. That way I could keep track of the score. No electronic screens in those days. I have raked through my "bits and pieces" drawer and found a piece of string which could come in very handy on Saturday. My last visit to Tannadice was a million years ago, 1978, for a Scottish Cup quarter final which we lost 2-0, if my memory serves me right.

Edited by williebraveheart

In any scenario, this type of fixture was always seen as a free hit in my eyes. However, given the nature of our defeats recently, there’s pressure on Veldman to swallow his pride and set us up in a way that try and stifles United going forward. Chances of that are almost zero. I expect a hammering if I’m being realistic

Given that a couple signings admittedly won’t change our entire fortunes, they simply have to try and get a couple guys in this week on loan to at least beef up the bench to help over the coming months. Fail to do so and it’s been a complete flop in terms of recruitment. The lack of depth is embarrassing. One injury to either Thomas or Paton and we are absolutely screwed 

10 hours ago, qpfc said:

In any scenario, this type of fixture was always seen as a free hit in my eyes. However, given the nature of our defeats recently, there’s pressure on Veldman to swallow his pride and set us up in a way that try and stifles United going forward. Chances of that are almost zero. I expect a hammering if I’m being realistic

Given that a couple signings admittedly won’t change our entire fortunes, they simply have to try and get a couple guys in this week on loan to at least beef up the bench to help over the coming months. Fail to do so and it’s been a complete flop in terms of recruitment. The lack of depth is embarrassing. One injury to either Thomas or Paton and we are absolutely screwed 

So did Airdrie and Morton fans but it didn’t happen. It also looks like our one true striker is out so I think it’ll be a low scoring game. The winner? Hopefully my team but who knows. I reckon it’ll be 2-1 or 1-2.

10 minutes ago, kdyteejay said:

So did Airdrie and Morton fans but it didn’t happen. It also looks like our one true striker is out so I think it’ll be a low scoring game. The winner? Hopefully my team but who knows. I reckon it’ll be 2-1 or 1-2.

Christ I hope we’re not going to concede yet another goal.  :angry: