Pars vs Arbroath - Tue 28th Nov

I don't like being overly critical of players but me and some friends call Paul Allan 'Young Paul Allan'.

We do so ironically as he'll be 24 in February yet is treated as some sort of youth prospect. He's not a terrible player but, to me and some friends at least, he's an average Championship player at best, more suited to League One. 

I'm not sure what his best position is, but so far it isn't as a central midfielder.

It's been mentioned a lot but Chalmers is far too casual on the ball. His game is to keep the ball moving, not to progress play individually. He also has a poor shot. He fits in to a system when he has someone to play off of, but he and Allan are far too similar and out lack of movement means Chalmers is passing back far too often. He's sadly not creative enough to make chances.

Crucially he's not aggressive enough off the ball. He's too passive defensively.

17 hours ago, Stoo61 said:

O'too gives us the bite in midfield that Chalmers seems to actively suck out of it. I think Hamilton does that too if he wasn't having to play at the back. Need our centre halves back. 

I like the thought of KRH coming off the bench, for now, to go at a knackered full back. 

Todd could come and take Allen's place, I know Matty is a little off it, which is to be expected, but get him in there. 

Jakubiak was abysmal last night but out of our strikers, each with no goal threat, he has the most about him. 

Giving Moffat any grief for last night is a bit wild. Guaranteed starter for me. 

So, make a team out of Traffic Cone, Hamilton, O'too, Comrie, Edwards, Todd, Moffat, Jakubiak...fill in the blanks.

That worked well on Friday🙄

2 hours ago, spot on said:

That worked well on Friday🙄

It maybe didn’t “work” on Friday night but this was the third time the kid as even appeared this season, he’s some distance from full fitness. He did run at the left back often enough, won fouls, corners and got his man booked. Are Arbroath going to defend as well as Raith? Probably not.

I also wouldn’t say he was up against a knackered full back. We didn’t do anything to tire the Raith defenders. 

Edited by The Toun Clock

7 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Would be absolutely amazed if we picked up anything from this. 

If we can’t beat a managerless, part-time side at home then we really are in bother.

Three points are essential for us and although we will be favourites, it’s a free hit for Arbroath and our confidence will undoubtedly be low.

Big game on Tuesday and then on Sat vs QP. Need to see a reaction in performances and results.

No and’s, if’s, or but's, we must win this game for the confidence of the players, and the sanity of the fans. 
The down side is the Arbroath players will be looking to prove their worth to whoever is in the manager hot seat, so will likely up their game for this one. They’ll know we’re not great upfront, and will look for long balls on the break for their forwards to run onto. 
this is going to be an extremely tricky game for us. 

Edited by Wacky

1 hour ago, Wacky said:

No and’s, if’s, or but's, we must win this game for the confidence of the players, and the sanity of the fans. 
The down side is the Arbroath players will be looking to prove their worth to whoever is in the manager hot seat, so will likely up their game for this one. They’ll know we’re not great upfront, and will look for long balls on the break for their forwards to run onto. 
this is going to be an extremely tricky game for us. 

I think the Arbroath back line will know exactly how we can hurt them. Their back line hasn’t changed much over the years, we put five past them at Gayfield last season and as we know our personnel hasn’t changed much since then either. Wighton has also scored goals for us against Arbroath, but also played for Arbroath as well.

From what I understand it’s complete new caretakers looking after tomorrow, players will maybe get that new manager feel, but I also reckon it will be big shoes to fill. I’d put money on that those Arbroath players would have preferred Dick to stay. Tomorrow they’ll go to a dressing room without Dick, Pink and even guys like Rab Douglas. All big characters.

Must win tomorrow, must win on Saturday. That’s not me saying McPake should be going if we don’t, not at all. I hope he’s here long term, but just to try and build momentum these are two games we should be winning at home going by current form etc.

11 hours ago, Cardle is Magic said:

If we can’t beat a managerless, part-time side at home then we really are in bother.

Three points are essential for us and although we will be favourites, it’s a free hit for Arbroath and our confidence will undoubtedly be low.

Big game on Tuesday and then on Sat vs QP. Need to see a reaction in performances and results.

A free hit? we are in desperate need of points and we are playing against a team who are three points ahead of us who with all due respect were absolutely rank rotten on Friday, its anything but a free hit, we need to go there with a plan to get something out the game. 

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

I’d put money on that those Arbroath players would have preferred Dick to stay. 

Definitely a couple. But on the whole I would be very surprised if that was the case… not that the players didn’t like him I’m sure they all love him just like the fans do. But for me, I think it had definitely run its course and that’s a feeling shared throughout the club

28 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Definitely a couple. But on the whole I would be very surprised if that was the case… not that the players didn’t like him I’m sure they all love him just like the fans do. But for me, I think it had definitely run its course and that’s a feeling shared throughout the club

Aye I suppose you'll know better than we would. I think from an outsider point of view he was probably a bit of a pull, he’s such a big character that players in Scotland would want to play for him, I suppose that’s probably weathered a bit now.

Elsewhere, anyone else worried this could fall foul to the weather (again)? To be a fairly cold one tomorrow with sleet due in Dunfermline and it’s going to be 0 by 6pm tomorrow. I hope not, but I don’t expect they’ll be putting USH on for a Tuesday night game against Arbroath, especially when both teams will now have a free weekend in January. Hope I’m wrong, really want to go to the game tomorrow.

Edited by The Toun Clock

2 hours ago, The Toun Clock said:

Must win tomorrow, must win on Saturday. That’s not me saying McPake should be going if we don’t, not at all. I hope he’s here long term,

Totally agree with this, I think McPake is the man for us and hope the board backs him with enough coin to get much needed fire power. 

21 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

We could do worse than bring in Douglas as a goalie coach. 

Genuinely thought the same! 

5 minutes ago, Wacky said:

Totally agree with this, I think McPake is the man for us and hope the board backs him with enough coin to get much needed fire power. 

Unfortunately I don't think he's been backed as much as he'd have liked and that's not me saying he should have a big transfer budget to play with, the fact is we don't. When James let Todorov and O'Hara go I don't think he thought the only replacement would be a half fit Alex Jakubiak. Hopefully they prove me wrong in January, but I wouldn't be shocked if we're all on here in the last week of the winter window moaning about a lack of business being done.

11 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

How many loans can we still make? Can't see us in the hunt for anyone under contract at all, and I can't imagine there'll be too many bosmans in January.

Your allowed 5 in total from Scottish clubs. So 3 more but I would think we’ll send sharp back to Dundee freeing up another spot

We’re looking for the No New Manager. Bounce. Clutching at straws really.

Someone said “we’ve had the same back 4 for years.” Between injuries and suspensions it’s been many months since we could play our first choice back 4. Probably not for this match either. Dick’s luck ran out on only having 4 defenders and filling the gaps with utility players.  
One of a number of problems. 

34 minutes ago, TheRoundO said:

We’re looking for the No New Manager. Bounce. Clutching at straws really.

Someone said “we’ve had the same back 4 for years.” Between injuries and suspensions it’s been many months since we could play our first choice back 4. Probably not for this match either. Dick’s luck ran out on only having 4 defenders and filling the gaps with utility players.  
One of a number of problems. 

I was more saying that a lot of the boys that have came up against us over the years (Gaston, Hamilton, Little, O'Brien) will know what our forward players are capable of on their day, whether they play or not is another thing right enough.

1 hour ago, The Toun Clock said:

Genuinely thought the same! 

Unfortunately I don't think he's been backed as much as he'd have liked and that's not me saying he should have a big transfer budget to play with, the fact is we don't. When James let Todorov and O'Hara go I don't think he thought the only replacement would be a half fit Alex Jakubiak. Hopefully they prove me wrong in January, but I wouldn't be shocked if we're all on here in the last week of the winter window moaning about a lack of business being done.

When we released Todorov and O’Hara, I really thought we had some total unknown talent coming in through Meggle. 
Meggle banged his drum about his worldwide contacts, and we’ve not seen a single one come through the door. It would be a great Christmas present for Pars fans if he brought in someone we’ve never seen or heard of in Scotland before