Getting rid of VAR in Scottish football

Guest DannyBlue

The real problem with VAR is that it attempts to make an objective decisions on things that can be subjective. There is a reason the laws of the game contain language like 'careless' and 'reckless' it's not a thing that is easily codified but in many cases, the human eye is quite good (although not perfect) at establishing the difference.

In my opinion, there should be a clock with VAR of 30 seconds, if the VAR official in that time spots a clear mistake, he tells the ref and the decision is changed, none of this theatre of refs running about, do it through an earpiece. If after 30 seconds, the VAR official is unable to tell if a mistake was made the refs decision stands, we need to get on with the game. At least this way we can overturn the howlers and minimise disruption.

If afterwards it gets analysed and reanalysed and we find out that the wrong decision was made, it should be used as a point of feedback that can be used to improve the process of decision-making in both the referee and the VAR official.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I struggle to see an argument against the fact that it's made football worse and less enjoyable. 

This is it for me.  Would anyone (players, management, fans) say this has had a positive effect on the game?  I wonder what the referee's think of it as well.  Surely it's not making this easier for them? 

There isn't one single good thing that has come out of VAR.  Before VAR, you'd complain about decisions that went against you on the day.  Since VAR, people are still complaining about decisions that are still somehow wrong. 

Pundits on TV have berated refs so much over the years for errors that those in charge have decided to have this strive for 'perfection'.  I don't think perfection was ever asked for, and there's no chance in hell it will ever be achieved. 

Every time I'm at a game now and my team scores, I don't celebrate as much, or for as long, just in case.  It's the same when my team concedes.  I sit there for 30-40 seconds hoping that a foul or an offside has occured.  It's fucking horrible and it's taking so much away from the match going fan.  

VAR.  5 subs.  20 minutes of injury time.  Every bit of it has been brought into help the biggest clubs and the biggest nations.  f**k everyone else, they don't matter.

Edited by Desp

51 minutes ago, Desp said:

Every time I'm at a game now and my team scores, I don't celebrate as much, or for as long, just in case.  It's the same when my team concedes.  I sit there for 30-40 seconds hoping that a foul or an offside has occured.  It's fucking horrible and it's taking so much away from the match going fan.  

This has happened to me a couple of times, but last night I didn't think there was any way it'd be disallowed. It was scored directly from a free-kick taken from almost right on the goal-line, so I thought that it was absolutely certain to be clean. 

I see its use for offside; it has been useful for the occasional red card but nowhere near the cost of delaying play for 5+ minutes whilst they decide. 

The clear and obvious error thing is also really open to debate; if the referee is called to the screen but is still a bit 50/50 over whether his call was right; I suspect few referees are going to go against VAR more due to him being open to criticism if he goes against it.

For me its totally shifted the game's entertainment value. 

Fans in Norway are actively protesting against the implementation of VAR there:

Protest and resist: fans in Scandinavia lead backlash against VAR | Football | The Guardian

Norway's clubs are member-run so perhaps banners and walkouts will be sufficient to rid their game of VAR, but I don't think they'd be enough here. The clubs have shown that, on the whole, they don't particularly care what fans think - about VAR or anything else. I think they'd find it fairly easy to ignore any symbolic forms of dissent.

Ultimately I think the only way we'll ever be able to rid our domestic game of it is through co-ordinated action to withhold money from the clubs. They likely wouldn't pay any serious attention until their bank balances started to be affected.

Is the appetite actually there for such action though? Nuclear options like boycotts don't spring out of nowhere - they're a last resort when more rudimentary forms of protest fail to yield results. We're not seeing a groundswell of visible discontent at games - can you imagine fans here booing their own VAR-awarded goal like Viking's fans did in that article? I haven't been to many Premiership games since VAR was introduced so maybe there's more protest going on than I realise, but if that is the case then the message isn't travelling very far.

The Rangers protests in 2012 are a blueprint for what's possible if fans across the game are prepared to set aside their tribalist instincts and pull in the same direction. However, much as it pains me, at this moment in time I'm not convinced your average match-going fan is sufficiently opposed to VAR for something comparable to get off the ground.

Implementation of VAR was the final confirmation that the shift away from fans being important in top level football was complete. In it's inception and it's implementation, fan enjoyment/TV entertainment is sacrificed at the altar of making sure the money goes to the correct place, because mistakes became seen as too financially costly to tolerate.

Scotlands league in isolation might not be too far gone to get changes led by fans, our clubs need us in lieu of a TV deal that renders us obsolete (looking at you England) but its here to stay and expand in football as a whole and as such, even we might be pissing in the wind. 

5 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Scottish football was in a strong position as clubs could see just how shite VAR was in other countries, including the one right next door that we're exposed to all the time, yet they still chose to bring it in. 

Blame Scottish fitba & it's habit of copying whatever happens down south eg our nonsensical SPFL division names.

A few points on this from me:

1 - I personally could see why the referee gave a foul (or offside) against Hendry last night.

2 - I hate VAR.

2 - I was watching the Beckham documentary this week and was watching the undiluted joy that goals bring. Especially big goals in big games. We’ve definitely lost that now. I know that some people have the view that you get to celebrate twice however I don’t buy it.

6 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

A few points on this from me:

1 - I personally could see why the referee gave a foul (or offside) against Hendry last night.

2 - I hate VAR.

2 - I was watching the Beckham documentary this week and was watching the undiluted joy that goals bring. Especially big goals in big games. We’ve definitely lost that now. I know that some people have the view that you get to celebrate twice however I don’t buy it.

Far from buying it, watching players celebrate, then pipe down for the VAR check, only to celebrate again but in a really forced and contrived way makes me cringe like f**k. 

7 hours ago, Molotov said:

Rugby seems to have made VAR implementation clear to those players on the pitch and the fans in the stand.

Why does fitba need to make it worse?

Genuinely don't think anyone who came up with VAR looked at any other version of it in any other sport before the came up with it.

Rugby works because the referee can see it on the same screen as the punters and the crowd can hear the discussion, they also, I think have clearer rules. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

Get it launched into the sea as Scandinavian clubs have already decided to do. At least (from my perspective) Morton as a fan-owned organisation opposed this nonsense from the start. 

I applaud Morton in this but I can't for the life of me understand how you guys were the only dissenting club.