Getting rid of VAR in Scottish football

6 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

By and large, the pundits now bumping their gums about VAR are exactly the same ones who were clamouring for it to be introduced in the first place. They're all arseholes and best ignored.

VAR was introduced as a fait accompli by the clubs without paying the slightest regard to what the fans thought, and there is no way they're suddenly going to have a change of heart because an arguable decision went against Scotland on Thursday night. With very few exceptions, the clubs don't give a shit what we think. 

Ofcourse they don't , do you really think clubs, the SPFL the SFA, uefa, FIFA have any regard for fans ?

Do you still believe in the tooth fairy!?

The above all are about only one thing ££££

19 minutes ago, Willie adie said:

Ofcourse they don't , do you really think clubs, the SPFL the SFA, uefa, FIFA have any regard for fans ?

Do you still believe in the tooth fairy!?

The above all are about only one thing ££££

The tooth fairy paid out to my grandson on Thursday while he was staying with us overnight. So, yes.

13 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

By and large, the pundits now bumping their gums about VAR are exactly the same ones who were clamouring for it to be introduced in the first place. They're all arseholes and best ignored.

VAR was introduced as a fait accompli by the clubs without paying the slightest regard to what the fans thought, and there is no way they're suddenly going to have a change of heart because an arguable decision went against Scotland on Thursday night. With very few exceptions, the clubs don't give a shit what we think. 

Last time I checked Sweden's professional football leagues are made up of clubs too. So what exactly is stopping Scottish domestic football from following the Allsvenskan's lead by dumping VAR in the bin where it belongs?

It can be done - this defeatist pish needs called out in the same way as before every vote on the latest dreadful reconstruction proposal.

17 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

Imagine your team were going 1-0 up in a cup final with a goal like McTominay’s and VAR rules it out.

Imagine your team were going 1-0 down in a cup final with a goal that was offside and there isn’t VAR in place to rule it out.

On 15/10/2023 at 06:41, Donathan said:

Imagine your team were going 1-0 down in a cup final with a goal that was offside and there isn’t VAR in place to rule it out.

Cest la vie...

I don't think the argument is about the decisions. Rather who is making them, are they adding to the game as a whole, etc.

Same scenario reversed. Your team scores a suspiciously offside goal in a cup final... do you celebrate with abandon? Or do you have that niggley suspicion the ref is going to put his finger to his ear any second?

Neither sets of fans win with VAR.

An unmitigated mess of sloppy and inconsistent findings.

How on earth did football survive for 150 years with linesmen and a referee to do that job?

Edited by Mr Heliums

54 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

How on earth did football survive for 150 years with linesmen and a referee to do that job?

It survived without VAR because there wasn't the technology available to identify and publicise the mistakes of the officials to a mass audience.

Imagine being blissfully unaware someone hadn't cut their toe nails that morning so was deemed offside by manipulated rules at a goal accepted as legitimate by all that saw it with their own eyes and you had nothing to gripe about.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

It survived without VAR because there wasn't the technology available to identify and publicise the mistakes of the officials to a mass audience.

VAR is practically nothing to do with technology advancing IMO, it’s all to do with the big money clubs not willing to lose out on a few extra millions due to some other ridiculously rich clubs overpaid striker having a toenail offside, it’s entirely against the spirit & nature of the game, get it to f**k. 

15 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

VAR is practically nothing to do with technology advancing IMO, it’s all to do with the big money clubs not willing to lose out on a few extra millions due to some other ridiculously rich clubs overpaid striker having a toenail offside, it’s entirely against the spirit & nature of the game, get it to f**k. 

What, you don't think the fact that people watching TV and in the stadiums on their phones being able to see incorrect decisions had anything to do with it?

The disallowed Liverpool goal v Tottenham was what would've happened 5 years ago without VAR, where it would've been clear to people in the crowd and on the benches that it should've stood very soon after the offside was called. 

3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

It survived without VAR because there wasn't the technology available to identify and publicise the mistakes of the officials to a mass audience  suck every f**ing atom of spontaneous excitement out of the game.

Suggested a tiny adjustment to your post so it reads more logically. Thanks.

Edited by Mr Heliums

On 14/10/2023 at 07:39, DA Baracus said:

We don't have goal line technology in Scotland. I'd be in favour of it though. It's an instant yes/no and not open to debate, unlike VAR.

Although, and I think I posted this elsewhere as well, this isn't th3 case either. Fiorentina had a goal given via Goalline Technology (with the ref pointing to his watch and all that), only for VAR to intervene and rule it out. Bizarre.

On 14/10/2023 at 13:04, FK1Bairn said:

I can't remember where I heard it but there was some chat somewhere that the VAR officials in the Spurs v Liverpool game were distracted by the Ryder Cup being on at the same time. Shocking if true and I'd hope they will be sufficiently demoted

The last Ryder Cup match of that day finished at 17:57 and the Luis Diaz goal was 34 minutes into that game, which means it was at 18:04 (give or take a minute). Therefore it's unlikely that they could have been distracted by that in any way. You could also tell from the the released audio that they were all very actively involved in discussing the incident.

I've been to the VAR centre used in Scotland, and I assume the one in England is very similar - the only things being in that room are monitors showing the games they are refereeing on, there certainly isn't going to be a TV on the wall or anything like that, it's supposed to be a "sterile" environment.

I think these types of stories stem from the same basic thing that also brought about the paranoia and suspicion which led to VAR - some people find it very difficult to accept that human beings make mistakes sometimes, and even make mistakes of enormous magnitude occasionally.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The last Ryder Cup match of that day finished at 17:57 and the Luis Diaz goal was 34 minutes into that game, which means it was at 18:04 (give or take a minute). Therefore it's unlikely that they could have been distracted by that in any way. You could also tell from the the released audio that they were all very actively involved in discussing the incident.

I've been to the VAR centre used in Scotland, and I assume the one in England is very similar - the only things being in that room are monitors showing the games they are refereeing on, there certainly isn't going to be a TV on the wall or anything like that, it's supposed to be a "sterile" environment.

I think these types of stories stem from the same basic thing that also brought about the paranoia and suspicion which led to VAR - some people find it very difficult to accept that human beings make mistakes sometimes, and even make mistakes of enormous magnitude occasionally.

Fair enough, it did seem a bit far fetched when I heard it. 

As you say, people make mistakes and refs are people, they're not robots

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

They could have been watching it on their phones or a laptop. They might have been soaking in the celebrations in the immediate aftermath of the Ryder Cup win.

I’d forgotten that the spurs Liverpool game was a 5:30 kick off. This makes it even worse for me as there were no other fixtures to distract them. When you say they were actively involved in discussing the incident fair enough, but they weren’t fully aware of the situation. How come some of them knew the on-field decision was offside, but the main var referee didn’t?

None of us have a clue if anyone was watching golf or anything else, but I don’t think it’s inaccurate to say the VAR ref was less than fully engaged in what was happening in the spurs match and what he was being asked to look at.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

They could have been watching it on their phones or a laptop. They might have been soaking in the celebrations in the immediate aftermath of the Ryder Cup win.

I’d forgotten that the spurs Liverpool game was a 5:30 kick off. This makes it even worse for me as there were no other fixtures to distract them. When you say they were actively involved in discussing the incident fair enough, but they weren’t fully aware of the situation. How come some of them knew the on-field decision was offside, but the main var referee didn’t?

None of us have a clue if anyone was watching golf or anything else, but I don’t think it’s inaccurate to say the VAR ref was less than fully engaged in what was happening in the spurs match and what he was being asked to look at.

FFS!!  You're just sounding like an online version of VAR 😂  Lighten up 😇

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

They could have been watching it on their phones or a laptop, but they will have a referee supervisor outside the room watching them so that would be a very silly thing to do.

If it's anything like the Scottish one, and I think it will be, the referees in the VAR room aren't getting the broadcast coverage, but will rather have individual access to each of the matchday cameras. As soon as a potential incident happens, the VAR will start to analyse that even while play is rolling on, which is why there are also assistant VAR official(s) who can keep watching the game to look for other incidents. They aren't watching the game in the same way that you and I are watching the game, they are watching it through the singular prism of looking for incidents that the referee might have missed or might need support on.

Therefore it's possible that a VAR could started to look at the offside decision immediately even before the ball was in the net (or basically straight after it went in) and not ever see the flag being raised. There is (correctly) an emphasis on getting decisions made quickly, so they're going to be straight on to that part of the process as soon as they can be, not waiting around a few seconds first. They should be getting the referee's live audio, but as was pointed out, he was telling his assistant to "give it" (or similar) - he meant "give the offside", but it could easily have been misinterpreted as "give the goal", and if he was listening in on that whilst drawing the lines then it's not much of a stretch to see why it hasn't been given.

It was basically a classic sitcom trope where both parties agreed to do something, but each thought they were agreeing to something slightly different.

None of this excuses the absolute f**k up they made, but I would very confidently say it was down to a simple communication error and not someone being distracted by something external to the match.