Ayr United Vs. Greenock Morton

1 minute ago, Paisley Ton said:

Yes that winning feeling again.

Thought we were solid throughout , good in first half but failed to get anything on target. Ayr goolie was in command of his box.

Started well in second but Ayr came well into it, should have scored but bar saved us, then Chalmers  missed his big chance.

Just as I thought the knife in the back could arrive Dougie brings on McG and he panics the Ayr back line. Free kick and cross onto Big George's nut. 

Thank the Lord  ( or LB) didn't fancy being stuck at the bottom. Good effort all around but man Ayr No 9 missed that big pass when two on one.

Always be in command of your goolies.

Sound advice there.

19 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Any particular reason?

Well, he’s a fanny.

And Waters did try to ride him on at least three occasions in the second half…

16 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

What the f**k are you actually talking about - an utterly bizarre series of posts 😂

What’s bizarre about pointing out that ‘Logan’ Chalmers is an utter fanny of a boy?

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Well, he’s a fanny.

And Waters did try to ride him on at least three occasions in the second half…

What’s bizarre about pointing out that ‘Logan’ Chalmers is an utter fanny of a boy?

I suspect he disagrees with you.

I felt that was quite an encouraging performance, with long periods of sustained pressure. I can only really think of two relatively short spells were Ayr were clearly in control.

Everyone - even the ones who have been quite poor, like Power, Wilson and Broadfoot - played well today. It's as if we just started the season today, and all of those pumpings and collapsed didn't happen. How lovely that would be.

A tough test right around the corner with Tuesday's game, but I think we should be able to get at least a point, if we play like today. We weren't particularly bad last time out against Raith, just unlucky (that we had Broadfoot).

McGrattan's energy and ability to panic the Ayr defense, as mentioned previous, was critical in getting that late winner. A job well done all round. I would hope that's an advert for his abilities, and that Dougie was watching closely.

P.S. - look what happens when you don't start Steven Boyd!

Waters was imperious there, head and shoulders the best player on the park.

We deserved to win that. Ayr were much better in the second half and really should have scored in their period of ascendancy when they took control of the midfield but it didn't last that long for all that a goal was looking inevitable with every attack for about 10 minutes. The lack of subs was genuinely bizarre, particularly with the number of bookings we had in a short spell when the game was getting away from us, but when the sub finally came there was an immediate impact with McGrattan putting the fullback on his arse with his first touch then skinning him again a minute later to win the freekick the winner came from.

Incredible scenes for the goal and Oakley celebrating every throw in like a goal right in the faces of Ayr players at 1-0 was an incredible thing to watch from a few yards away. Baird charging right into the throng of celebrating players and fans to tell every individual player in it to keep their head also had me pissing myself when the euphoria died.

Morton the better team first half. Held the ball well and had Ayr pinned back for considerable spells. It felt very sluggish from us at times going forward.

Ayr looked better second half, unlucky not to score when Murphy hit the crossbar. From Somerset Road end did look like Broadfoot handled/punched the ball. With our defence this season Morton would always have a chance or 2 and it was not surprising when they scored.

Referee and linesman at main stand were utter dross. Morton voting against VAR which always looked the correct decision getting proven more and more correct with each abysmal refereeing showing.

2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

That eegra was very cal bullen is a gloopy moodge who should be in staja for pretending to be a football manager and making my nochy unpleasant.

Took then wairds richt out o' ma mooth, laddie. Cracking post-game night on the swally in Ayr, and (as alluded to in my earlier thread contributions) just heading towards the end of Heathfield Road and the 'danger kebab' which awaits. If I never post again = ye'll all know why.

1 hour ago, Liam899 said:

Good win! How was French?

Played LCB of a back 3. Did his job well without being outstanding. Almost sold the jerseys 5/10 mins before we scored and gave the ball away about half way but thankfully the boy Rose is knickers and French had the pace to recover really well. All in all happy with him. 

Best I've seen us play at Somerset in a long time.

First half we were the better side without creating much. Ayr turned up for the second half and hit the bar, but overall I thought they were too ponderous up front and a few crucial through balls were passed up. I thought Robbie's yellow card for diving was the correct decision. The timing of the sub was important - Lewis got stuck into their right back and won the free-kick for Gorgeous George's winner (great scenes).

Team were excellent throughout with mention for Waters and Wilson, plus some good handling by MacDonald. Good atmosphere in the away end too.

Hopefully this is us turning the corner.

I don't think either set of fans would've been surprised had the game finished scoreless.

Folk see things differently but it would've been a fair enough result on the day and would've gone down as another stodgy, scrappy "everybody can beat everybody" Championship game. 

Fair do's to Morton for digging out the late winner, if you don't defend your box better than that against them from a standard ball into the box you will concede goals.

Least said about the referee the better, for both teams I have to say.

Keep Murphy and Chalmers quiet and we're toothless in the final third, moreso at home where the expectation should be to play on the front foot. Away from home we can sit in and hit on the break where these two are seen at their best.

We move onto Firhill and hopefully get a reaction (minus Dowds).

The world is still turning.