Ayr United Vs. Greenock Morton

Much more like it from Morton today. Both teams having spells of pressure without creating an awful lot of clear cut chances. Ayr having the two best chance’s probably throughout when Chalmers went through in the first half and Murphy hitting the bar in the second. We had a few stramash’s with the ball just not falling. Muirhead harshly booked for diving for me but would have to see it again. Much more like it from Power thought he was excellent today and a great ball for the winner. Fully deserved goal for big George as well. Big man needed a goal delighted it was for him. 

Deserved win IMO given our pressure in the first half. The second half was more even with both sides having spells of pressure and a few chances, but our overall performance was good and we've earned that overdue win. 

Waters and Wilson did excellent as wing backs today. There are weaknesses to that formation and I don't think it's a cure for everything, but it flummoxed Ayr today and is a good alternative to have. 

31 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Fair play to Morton, they stuck in and got a deserved winner.

Cheers. Not pretty to watch, but this was always going to be game where either one team or the other would possibly grind out a result. Good to see Gorgeous George on the scoresheet at last. I hope it represents a corner turned for us and injects some much needed-confidence into the squad. I have no idea why your home form is the way it is, and I'm pretty sure yous don't, either. But onwards and upwards for both of us. All the best.

9 minutes ago, Chippyminton said:

Cheers. Not pretty to watch, but this was always going to be game where either one team or the other would possibly grind out a result. Good to see Gorgeous George on the scoresheet at last. I hope it represents a corner turned for us and injects some much needed-confidence into the squad. I have no idea why your home form is the way it is, and I'm pretty sure yous don't, either. But onwards and upwards for both of us. All the best.

The home form is an embarrassment tbh. It needs sorted. 

We've shown more than enough recently to suggest we will be fine this season, but whenever the onus is on us to go out and really take the game to the opponent (especially at home) we are largely very incapable / unsuccessful.

Although Morton have been in awful form, Imrie certainly seems to have Bullen's number and I think he did him today with the formation.

41 minutes ago, AuAl said:

Although Morton have been in awful form, Imrie certainly seems to have Bullen's number and I think he did him today with the formation.

We had already stopped the rot tbh by drawing at QP and then a good win in the Challenge Cup too (not worth much - but simple confidence building is the main issue at the moment). Back to back clean sheets in the league is hopefully another step in the right direction. 

It looks like there'll be at least 6 teams with one eye on the top 4 and one eye on relegation until March at least. 

Edited by vikingTON

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

It looks like there'll be at least 6 teams with one eye on the top 4 and on eye on relegation until March at least. 

Aye I think it'll be hard to predict anything away from maybe the top 3, with each team below taking turns to go on a wee run before hitting a wall for a month or so and falling back into the group. 

I don't really see anyone getting cut that far adrift at the bottom. There's just so little between most sides in the league - another season of largely poor squads battling it out to be among the least shite.

Huge - and thoroughly deserved - win for us today.

As has been said, going to a back three didn’t initially inspire confidence, but it worked. Broadfoot remains a bombscare, but there’s more protection in a three; and big Wilson really looked like a player for us in the wing-back role, again because there’s more protection inside him.

Power is an incredibly frustrating player: moments of class mixed in with too many times where he just slows things down. I wonder if we’ll end up loving him…

Last word for big George, though: poor in the first half, not much better - and clearly frustrated - in the second… but kept going and going and was rewarded with the goal.

Mon the fuckin Ton.

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

As has been said, going to a back three didn’t initially inspire confidence, but it worked. Broadfoot remains a bombscare, but there’s more protection in a three; and big Wilson really looked like a player for us in the wing-back role, again because there’s more protection inside him.

Power is an incredibly frustrating player: moments of class mixed in with too many times where he just slows things down. I wonder if we’ll end up loving him…

Last word for big George, though: poor in the first half, not much better - and clearly frustrated - in the second… but kept going and going and was rewarded with the goal.

Mon the fuckin Ton.

Its McGinty isnt it.

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Mon the fuckin Ton.

Oakley was about 6/10 before the goal - got a fair bit of joy from that clownshoe McGinty - but 11/10 after the goal shitfesting throw-ins corners and winding up the jobber defenders. A magnificent c**t. 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

Oakley was about 6/10 before the goal - got a fair bit of joy from that clownshoe McGinty - but 11/10 after the goal shitfesting throw-ins corners and winding up the jobber defenders. A magnificent c**t. 

'Clownshoe! 🤣😅😂 ..... havent heard that term since Colin Stewart (shudder).

Yes that winning feeling again.

Thought we were solid throughout , good in first half but failed to get anything on target. Ayr goolie was in command of his box.

Started well in second but Ayr came well into it, should have scored but bar saved us, then Chalmers  missed his big chance.

Just as I thought the knife in the back could arrive Dougie brings on McG and he panics the Ayr back line. Free kick and cross onto Big George's nut. 

Thank the Lord  ( or LB) didn't fancy being stuck at the bottom. Good effort all around but man Ayr No 9 missed that big pass when two on one.