Raith Rovers v Airdrie Utd

Just now, Passionate said:

Good point which we.needed,  if we were on decent form probably would be disappointed with only one point though,  Raith are a pleasing team on the eye, always a good day out and.not long finished the fish tea in burntisland tbh..

How do you guys think Dylan Easton is doing on the championship, he had god like status the season we had him in League 1, seen him a few times and probably like Frizzell in our side , he seems to lack a yard,    The step up to.the championship is much bigger than most realise.

Dylan has stepped up to the championship with ease. Can sometimes make the wrong decision however constantly tries to make something happen and has star quality - a fan favourite.

A draw was a fair result here. Airdrie pulled us about for spells and the speed of their one touch football was impressive.

We just didn’t quite click today but that’s ok, the lads have grafted all season long so far but you can tell we’re running on empty.

Mullin needs a seat on the bench and Easton and Connolly fully back in (on basis Easton fully fit). 

We’re desperately needing Keith Watson and Jack Hamilton back. The latter would be lapping up some of the balls going in.

An opportunity missed with Utd dropping points but I’d say Airdrie have a sniff of the playoffs based on the two games played.

10 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Good point which we.needed,  if we were on decent form probably would be disappointed with only one point though,  Raith are a pleasing team on the eye, always a good day out and.not long finished the fish tea in burntisland tbh..

How do you guys think Dylan Easton is doing on the championship, he had god like status the season we had him in League 1, seen him a few times and probably like Frizzell in our side , he seems to lack a yard,    The step up to.the championship is much bigger than most realise.

In my opinion, when Easton is on form he is our best player. He is never afraid to take on a player or try something different and some of the goals he has scored have been superb.

On todays game I though both teams played a lot better than the game earlier on in the season. Rae's footwork is excellent and makes it really easy for Airdire to play out from the back. Not sure how well you guys have played in the other games but apart from Dundee United that's probably the best away performance at Stark's Park this season.

Slightly disappointed to not have taken advantage of United dropping points but 7 points out on 9 in week is more than acceptable.

Decent game to watch but not one of any real quality, both keepers made good saves, Big Kev had more than Rae. I thought Connoly's shot was destined for the top corner but it's a save I would have expected most decent keepers to make.

Hope the Airdrie guy (Hancock ?) who was stretchered off is OK, didn't seem to be much in it but he looked in a lot of discomfort going off the pitch fair play to the fans for giving a decent round of applause.

Final point, who in their right mind thought it was OK to empty a bottle skip during a minutes silence, talk about wrong time to do it.

30 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I wasn't totally sold on Easton last season, but he's definitely stepped up this season. We were pretty poor for the most part against the Pars last Saturday, but you got the feeling that Easton might make something happen when he came on and, sure enough, he played a big part in setting up Stanton's winner.

A fair result. A well-taken goal from Smith but a poor equaliser to concede. Some industrial-scale time wasting from Airdrie that went largely unpunished and was not reflected in time added on. 

The guys looked shattered after 3 games in a week with no chance of rotation. We need some of the walking wounded back pronto.

Airdrie today easily one of the best sides we've faced. Comfortable on ball, crisp passing and not just hoofing it. Vaughan and Easton need to score chances like they had, and Connolly's looked in, but Dabrowski made some great saves and they hit the bar. Last season we'd likely have lost that. A tough week and no complaints from me. Airdrie will take plenty points from everyone else.

5 hours ago, Mr November said:

Presuming that’s what it is, a back five with McCabe and McMaster sitting is literally the most defensive team we could have put out with this squad. Not a lot of runners around Todorov either, so we’ll see how that goes.

Turns out Telfer and particularly Frizzell got a lot of joy running off Todorov and the seven behind them dominated the ball for large spells in the first half. Fair play!

A draw was probably about right overall but if any team deserves to win that it was Airdrie. Airdrie were excellent in the first half, maybe the best we’ve played all season. Still plenty of daft moment but a lot more intent going forward and we were very unfortunate not to open the scoring. Raith probably had the better of the second half but both teams had chances to win it.

I thought Raith’s front four (plus Easton) were really poor. Connolly had one good shot, Vaughan didn’t do too much and Mullin’s only contribution of note was that bizarre swipe towards his own goal. I said it after the last game but Easton is wasted out wide, though Stanton did well and is probably a better player in there overall. Airdrie’s defence did very well though, hard to fault any of them really. McCabe in particular strolled it when he went back there and Megwa was excellent defensively once again. 

7 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Turns out Telfer and particularly Frizzell got a lot of joy running off Todorov and the seven behind them dominated the ball for large spells in the first half. Fair play!

A draw was probably about right overall but if any team deserves to win that it was Airdrie. Airdrie were excellent in the first half, maybe the best we’ve played all season. Still plenty of daft moment but a lot more intent going forward and we were very unfortunate not to open the scoring. Raith probably had the better of the second half but both teams had chances to win it.

I thought Raith’s front four (plus Easton) were really poor. Connolly had one good shot, Vaughan didn’t do too much and Mullin’s only contribution of note was that bizarre swipe towards his own goal. I said it after the last game but Easton is wasted out wide, though Stanton did well and is probably a better player in there overall. Airdrie’s defence did very well though, hard to fault any of them really. McCabe in particular strolled it when he went back there and Megwa was excellent defensively once again. 

To be fair to the front 4, they’ve played a ridiculous amount of football lately. We’ve pretty much one forward sub each week so they’ve all played more than they really should have. Smith, Vaughan and Mullin run themselves into the ground on Tuesday night and Connolly is just back from a huge spell on the sidelines stretching back into last season. They’ve done incredibly well in the circumstances. 

2 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

crisp passing and not just hoofing it.

Heart was in mouth at some points with our “playing out from the back”, must say, but that is how we have committed to play football.

It easily could’ve been 4-4 at half time. The difference in this league is our forwards hitting the woodwork twice and drawing 3-4 quality saves from Dabrowski and his magnificent hair, yet Smith scored with one touch. Did think that Smith got past McCabe too easily and Rae was in no man’s land as he usually is. I’d love to see a heatmap of Rae’s positioning during a match. 

Thought we looked reasonably comfortable until Hancock went off, and for the first time in dunkeys a three at the back system was working. I also think Taylor-Sinclair is our best defender with the ball at his feet, hopefully he isn’t out for too long again.

This said, Raith’s movement in the final third was fantastic. Vaughan, Stanton, Connolly & Smith, later with Easton, all dovetailed really nicely and clearly have a good understanding of playing together.

1 hour ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Mullin needs a seat on the bench and Easton and Connolly fully back in (on basis Easton fully fit). 

You realize that Mullin’s cross onto Connolly’s head was the first goal vs Ayr, aye?

I thought that was a really entertaining game of football. Well done to Rhys for changing shape and personnel. We have been too predictable of late. He got the tactics spot on, and had a fantastic game himself. The back 3 allowed Megwa and Ballantyne to have much more threat going forward, with Telfer and Frizzel also much more of an attacking presence. McMaster had some class touches. Every player put in a good shift. Brilliant goalkeeping at both ends.

Raith also had some good chances so will happily take an away point against a genuine promotion candidate.

I appreciated the Raith fans applauding Hancock off, and the announcer thanking us for our travels. A nice touch. All the best for the rest of the season! Hopefully our next two matches are as good!

Decent game of football today.

Airdrie are a right good team,love playing out from back even if it does get them into bother at times.Dangerous when they do get it forward as well.

Raith ok 1st half,better in 2nd-the way it goes though winning 1-0 1st half and 0-1 2nd.

A couple of extra bodies on the bench might’ve made the difference for us today.

Murray tried something different moving Brown forward which I liked.I like Byrne but sometimes he goes side to side when forward option is available.

Gutted Easton didn’t stick that one away late on.

Hopefully Hamilton n Gullan back next week and maybe Matthews.

Looking forward to Hampden.

Fair result.  Airdrie are a decent side who played some nice stuff.

We desperately need a resolution to the injury situation though, as obvious as that sounds.  To be able to make one attacking change, with the signings we have made, isn't good at all.  

No complaints with the guys on the park, they've had to put a hell of a shift in, but that's only going to get us so far. 

35 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Think I’ve missed this. What’s on the flag?

Butchers Apron in blue with the words Raith Rovers in the middle. The guy has brought it to a couple of games but sticks to the Main (Corner) Stand as it probably wouldn't last too longin the South.