Raith Rovers v Airdrie Utd

If we have any designs on finishing in the top 4, we really need our walking wounded back to full fitness. Big Kev saved us again. We are literally running on empty, Airdrie tore us apart for a good hour.

oh aye see that fucking flag was back in action😡

Edited by Stardog_champion

I think part of our struggles yesterday were down to Murray going full 4-1-3-2 for the first 30 mins before he dropped Stanton further back to help Byrne. Its a gung-ho formation at the best of times, but against a team that want to play football and play the ball around quickly, its not going to work if everyone is not at full speed all game. Airdrie set up to make the most of it against our formation and it worked for them for long periods. We got a goal against the run of play and it was a great move with Connolly stepping over (or jumping really) and the ball coming through to Smith but other than that, we huffed around a lot, tried to play quickly into the channels for Smith and Vaughan to run onto but it wasn't really their day, the amount of times the ball either bounced off them when they tried to control it, or their second touch led to a tackle was amazing but we had no alternatives. 

Either side could have sneaked it at the end, Easton passing the ball back to Rae was an unexpected moment when he could have shot instead and Gallacher was close in the dying seconds. Overall a draw is perhaps fair but its clear neither side has a ruthless cutting edge at this point of the season. I'm not convinced the return of Hamilton and Gullan will do much to change that going on this seasons evidence either.

11 hours ago, Raith_Rasta said:

That flag at the tunnel is a total f**k you ti the facists hahahaha. Troll level grandmaster unlocked ti the suburban snp dicks 

No interest in politics between 3 and 5pm and this particular flag brings its own wee agenda. Appears against an Irish team, remembrance game and for good measure a bit of buddying with our local unionist terror supporter. 

Does the name of the club no favours in the context its being used. Some folk just like to provoke so fair play. 

My negative side feels we are just a bit off the place we aspire to be. Beyond injuries we need an extra defensive body. I'm sure JP is looking for the loan deal version of Shaun Byrne.

Finally Airdrie can GTF with their actually quite likeable, decent banter, good football. It's not natural. 

40 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

It's kinda our thing now though. 🤷🏻‍♂️♦️

That makes sense, good angle. Walked from the bus station with 2 Airdrie fans who said similar. We were all of an age to remember the 80s and 90s matches. 

Re the flag, a point I missed was that of a St George's flag, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest in fact shows we've got pockets of support that grew from folk becoming pals.

Was chatting to Sunderland supporters in the 200 club who came due to Ian Porterfield. They were having a braw time as it should be. 

Edited by Always next quarter
Sp

17 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

From who?

Why wouldn,t it last long?

Did you both stand for the minutes thought/silence pre match for Remembrance?

What does observing a minutes silence for Remembrance have to do with Someone’s opinion on the Union Flag? Are you suggesting that Remembrance and Unionism are linked and someone who is a Nationalist can’t observe Remembrance Day? 

2 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

. I'm not convinced the return of Hamilton and Gullan will do much to change that going on this seasons evidence either.

I know obviously you guys have seen him more, but in my mind a couple of they chances are exactly the ones Hamilton would be sticking away, it's exactly what he was doing at Arbroath. I remember the first game he was far and away raiths most useful player IMO.

I was entertained/shit scared in equal measures yesterday and as most folk said, I can accept most FT results if we get that level of performance, especially against a team aiming for the title so I'm not disheartened at all. In fact, based on my pre match comments I'll eat a bit of humble pie, McCabe changed it up and it appeared to work, with a bit more composed finishing or a bit less world class goalkeeping that could have been one to remember.

Second prize, we use the momentum into this next run of games and throw a few results together and use it as a good foundation to build from.

Hamilton hasn't been great in front if goal, but he offers genuine presence up front.  We obviously don't want to be lumping long balls all game, but in a situation like yesterday when we are being pressed it would help to have a genuine out ball.

16 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Hamilton hasn't been great in front if goal, but he offers genuine presence up front.  We obviously don't want to be lumping long balls all game, but in a situation like yesterday when we are being pressed it would help to have a genuine out ball.

Hamilton has also been immense in front of goal on the defensive end.

Airdrie have been impressive both times we've played them and, while we'll no doubt continue to churn out wins against the likes of Dunfermline, I wouldn't be surprised if we fail to beat Airdrie this season. They seem to set up well against and cause us a lot of problems. They should stay up without any bother. 

39 minutes ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I know obviously you guys have seen him more, but in my mind a couple of they chances are exactly the ones Hamilton would be sticking away, it's exactly what he was doing at Arbroath. I remember the first game he was far and away raiths most useful player IMO.

I was entertained/shit scared in equal measures yesterday and as most folk said, I can accept most FT results if we get that level of performance, especially against a team aiming for the title so I'm not disheartened at all. In fact, based on my pre match comments I'll eat a bit of humble pie, McCabe changed it up and it appeared to work, with a bit more composed finishing or a bit less world class goalkeeping that could have been one to remember.

Second prize, we use the momentum into this next run of games and throw a few results together and use it as a good foundation to build from.

I think based on his Arbroath days, you're right, but we've really not tried to utilise him in that way and the chances that he's had haven't inspired. I still have high hopes for the lad, if we can fit him into our style of play and get those around him to set him up, he'll get goals. He's been used as a target man with balls up to his head and no one around him to benefit from it really, If he was in place of Smith or Vaughan yesterday with balls into feet, he'd have looked better.

Think Airdrie will give some teams a few lessons this year, some good football played.

36 minutes ago, philpy said:

Surprised nobody mentioned it, but WTF was big kev thinking about with that bit of showboating yesterday??

Just playing to the crowd, no harm done..............

.........fucking terrible BTW, heart in mouth stuff 

40 minutes ago, philpy said:

Surprised nobody mentioned it, but WTF was big kev thinking about with that bit of showboating yesterday??

I'd conveniently forgotten about that, it was very lucky and unnecessary. Brown didn't do him any favours to slow the attacker down either. I think he could have let that come into his box had Brown shielded better. 

Just caught up wi the match highlights, should that not have been a penalty for the barge on Vaughan, I'm sure if that had been the other way round it would've been given, might have changed the direction of the game, but all credit to Airdrie they look a very good team at least from what I saw of them, and shouldn't be in any trouble come seasons end, and if we have our injuries cleared and back to full strength the next two games against you will be quite different